Bruceblend®0w10 MolyFree Stealth Formula 2500m

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well ..so much for grenading your engine with low visc oil. L@@K at all the bearing wear
grin2.gif
If not for volatility issues (or so Bruce tells me) I could have gone even lower as far as seizure protection. I still can't get below just under 40 psi at hot idle. Now some of the rubbing surfaces may be shedding a tad. I imagine that my distributor gear is the Cu and the Fe from the timing chain ..but neither are anything to get excited about.

Still waiting on the read from Terry. Fuel plagued this run due to shorter trip useage during daughter being home for the summer and problems with her hand me down Taurus. Normally I'd have my wife drive this jeep since it gives (relatively) excellent fuel economy using this oil compared to RTS 5w-40. Essentially there is 1 mpg difference in EPA ratings between a 4.0 5speed and a 2.5 auto..but effectively they both round out to about 18+/- in my wife's usage. The difference being that you can hardly get the 4.0 to go below 18+/- ..while you can get the 2.5 into V8 range if you short trip it too much. Current short trip mileage is from 16.5-17.5. My daughter yielded over 23mpg on a longer run to visit a friend in Lancaster county. Even with a couple of warm up events before filling up.. this is amazing economy for this engine. I took a long trip to western PA and got the typical 17.5 at higher speeds (flow of traffic 70-75mph with brief bouts of 80mph). I matched that figure with drafting and keeping it to 65mph on the return trip.

I unsure what I'm going to do with this. I have enough stock to change it out and do a winter run with the wife being the primary driver.

Since this is hard to see (I didn't do something right), here's the data:

Any elements missing were zero across all three.

miles on oil/mileage
2.5k-73k/4.8k-70.5k/9.6k-65.5k
Oil
0w-10 MolyFree Stealth Formula/0w-20 LITE/RTS 5w-40

Fe 12/41/78
Cu 16/11/15
Tin 0/14/0
Pb 0/0/1
Chrome 1/2/4
Nickel 0/2/4
Alum 3/10/9

Cal 2765/2641/2482
Mag 21/43/27
Zinc 1777/1507/1352
Phos 1233/1507/1353
Molyb 275/1698/19

Silicon 28/26/24
Sodium 16/34/22
Boron 15/3/1

40C 22.0/48.8/117.6
100C 4.6/7.5/15.5
TAN 2.29/3.81/6.02
FLASH 270/280/415
OXI 42/55/48
NIT 9/14/20
KF H2O 1063/517/1146
TBN 6.1/3.5/2.8
FUEL 1.73/1.64/0.03
GLYCOL 0/0/0
Sulfate byproducts: 42/50/?

VOA via Bruce's lab. He's got a sample too ..so we can account for lab variance.

Vis @ 40 23.9
Vis @ 100 4.9
VI 132

No VII - GPIII and PAO

ZN 1185
P 1629
CA 2826
Barium 165
Mag 14
Sodium 3
Boron 31

TBN D-2896 10.6
Stealth Polymer @ 8%wt
SL system with the SM AO and FM added
NOACK around 6%

Tin
copper
Aluminium
etc all

When 0W-10 grade oils become the "norm" what do you think we will hear from the "thick" oil people. Maybe - " I would never use that stuff in my car. What you really need is a much more robust oil to protect your cams and all, use a 5W-20."

aehaas

Quote:
I would never use that stuff in my car. What you really need is a much more robust oil to protect your cams and all, use a 5W-20."

crackmeup2.gif

..and this is a antiquated tractor engine. Imagine it with a rollerized valve train..

NOT to distract from these results, BUT, I wonder how much the 'carryover' Moly and Zinc from the 0W-20 run 'helped' these results - you went from 'moly free' to a fill with 275 ppm (A very, very healthy amount) from cross-contamination....as well, your zinc numbers jumped up to WELL over 'SL' limits (the goal with this oil) from the same isssue.....not that you can eliminate this (unless you did a very thorough flush), but what are your thoughts on it?

On a different note - thank you for doing this. Provides information to people such as myself who have a vaguely similar engine (2.2 OHV 4-cyl.) and are curious what would happen if it was run with very thin oils. My 'thinking' (or is that justifying?) on this is that the Chev OHV 4-cyl. has more in common with a 1960's/1970's SBC than anything else; and they 'tend' to like heavier oils (didn't they run best back in the day on 20W-50?), so a 40-weight is the way to go. But that is a hard position to hold with results and experiences like these above.....

Quote:
I wonder how much the 'carryover' Moly and Zinc from the 0W-20 run 'helped' these results - you went from 'moly free' to a fill with 275 ppm (A very, very healthy amount) from cross-contamination

Yeah ..surely there's residuals. Hard not to with the dose it had before.
21.gif
Just assume, for the moment, that he intended to put that amount of moly in the oil. Future UOA should purge more of it.

Quote:
as well, your zinc numbers jumped up to WELL over 'SL' limits (the goal with this oil) from the same isssue.....not that you can eliminate this (unless you did a very thorough flush), but what are your thoughts on it?

Bruce will (probably) run this sample too (3 samples drawn - one is also going to Blackstone) and we'll have a lab:lab:lab comparison. If his UOA figures show the same additive levels, then we can figure that I didn't agitate the pail enough upon my initial fill (possible reason). If he gets figures closer to his VOA, then we can figure lab variance as the source of the mismatch. I don't "know" ..but although we've seen residual moly from one OCI/UOA to the next, have we ever noticed leftover zinc/phos
54.gif

Quote:
Wonder how it would fare in a racecar...Bruce isn't selling/offering this concoction to the public, is he?

I wish he would ..but how can you bring a product like this to market without a major capital (by most standards) outlay? His REAL time is worth too much ..and there's REAL customers keeping him busy already. I'm really glad that he finds enough spare time to do this ..and that he gets enough personal entertainment (fun) out of it to continue to indulge us. This is a very unique and rare opportunity to participate in for me.

Proof that additives, not viscosity prevent most wear. Good to see.

Now that Gary has been the guinea pig
48.gif
, I want to run some of this stuff in my Ranger 4.0, 30wt only spec., in the dessert heat. It NEEDS MPG help.

Everybody always tells me im crazy for running "such a light-weight oil" (0w20) in my jeep 4.0, specs a 30wt. I have a buddy that runs 40wt in the same motor, when I try to explain your writings to him he just replies "I like my 40wt." I think hes finally coming around though. I would love to be a guinea pig for a oil like this. Thank you so much for doing this, very interesting. Wonder what it would look like without all that fuel, really doesn't look bad though.

Why such a short run? a lot of oils look good for 2.5k miles. Silicon looks quite high, esp for such short run.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Proof that additives, not viscosity prevent most wear. Good to see.

Now that Gary has been the guinea pig
48.gif
, I want to run some of this stuff in my Ranger 4.0, 30wt only spec., in the dessert heat. It NEEDS MPG help.

Yeah. "Give it Gary! He tries anything!" (mikey - from Life cereal).
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: Tones
Why such a short run? a lot of oils look good for 2.5k miles. Silicon looks quite high, esp for such short run.

Time in service and fuel passing through the engine. 4 months and quite a few fill ups. If this was my wife's daily driver, the same fuel would have been consumed over many more miles. I really wish it had an OLM. I'll manage the same run over the winter with the wife driving it. It should rack up over 5k in that time.

We don't know if this will work as an extended drain oil. This is a "viability of ultra low visc oils" experiment .........and presented FWIW
21.gif

(funny side): I'd love to do real world testing like this for a living. I'd even do it for common wages just to be in on the action. Until that opportunity emerges (I won't hold my breath) ..this is about as good as it gets from me
21.gif
55.gif

My car sets a code whenever I switch to 5w20, so this 0w10 might be pushing it a bit. Piston slap gets confused with knock, until the computer adjusts.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
Gary, what engine and vehicle is this?

2002 pushrod 2.5L 4 banger jeep engine.

Gary: Thanks for this. It's another bit of evidence that the "ice" over low viscosity oil isn't so "thin" after all.
LOL.gif

I know you'll keep us posted. Nice to see a Jeep involved in this too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back