Broken valve cover on Honda GX270

My morning started out checking the valve clearance on my just acquired generator with a Honda GX270. Inside was great and clean, clearances passed with flying colors and it all went downhill when I put the cover back on. Couldn’t find the actual spec, other than 27 ft Ib of torque at standard torque valves for 10 mm bolt. I thought it might be too much so I used a torque wrench to take off to see how high it goes. I thought I settle at 15 and here I am, a broken bolt.

Attachments

• A9837484-BD41-4A65-89FB-D1C488F08F81.jpeg
    A9837484-BD41-4A65-89FB-D1C488F08F81.jpeg
    110.7 KB · Views: 66
Yes since the threaded part is 6mm, 27 ft-lb is certain to break it.

The bolts that hold on stamped valve covers and oil pans should not even be as tight as the bolt size suggests. Over-tightening will bend the thin metal and cause leaks.

Yes since the threaded part is 6mm, 27 ft-lb is certain to break it.

The bolts that hold on stamped valve covers and oil pans should not even be as tight as the bolt size suggests. Over-tightening will bend the thin metal and cause leak.
I didn't think about the smaller thread size over the bolt size. Yeah, now I know and even after I thought I would do it less. Of course now, that puts your standard torque valves at 7 ft.-Ib. I case anyone wants to know it broke around 11-12 ft.Ib.of torque. Yeah, I know I am a novice. Should I now go buy a new cover and gasket?

Last edited:
I didn't think about the smaller thread size over the bolt size. Yeah, now I know and even after I thought I would do it less. Of course now, that puts your standard torque valves at 7 ft.-Ib. I case anyone wants to know it broke around 11-12 ft.Ib.of torque. Yeah, I know I am a novice. Should I now go buy a new cover and gasket?
Yes.

The cover is most likely distorted/warped by that torque and it will be difficult to get it to seal properly.

Were you able to extract the bolt ok?
Yes, it got done on Friday. Co-worker did it for me. He told me it was one of his easiest extractions he ever done. So much when he drilled the hole, it went in more. He told me the offset in the bolt would have prevented things from getting worse. It wouldn't smash the cover, like some have suggested here. So got her back together, put new spark plug and air filter in. Then got 2 oz. of Mechanic in a bottle to a gallon of gas. Ran it for 15 minutes. Ran fine on half choke and rough with it off.

Reactions: JTK
Sometimes by "feel" is all you need and certain torque specs are just to have one.
I find that a lot with small bolts. Torque causes more issues than just using a 1/4” ratchet unless you have a calibrated low torque snap on torque wrench. I’ve built 2 stroke race motors turning 10,000 rpms and the small fasteners I just go by feel. Even race mechanics told me the same. “Just tighten them, don’t overthink or overdo it” case/ head bolts is different.

Back