Briggs Fuel FIlters

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's about time for my mid-summer maintenance. Which reminded me that I always have a debate in the aisle about which fuel filter is "best", and I'm hoping someone can shed some light on the differences... I've got two choices -

1) The disk shaped filter like this - Example

2) A cylindrical filter with what looks like actual filter media - Example These are sometimes labeled that they are for engines with fuel pumps.

The micron rating on both filters seems similar. I've got a Briggs Opposed Twin - are there any signifigant differences between the two, or should I just grab the cheaper disk shaped one?

The little disk ones have a brass screen inside. I use the inline filter. it's a regular sized one like what was used back in the 80's that I found somewhere on a $1 table. I've used it for several years.
grin2.gif

Wayne

I've personally always used the "disc" shaped filters on my Craftsman, due to the part number on the mower itself calling for that filter.

Although, I don't see much harm done if both perform the same job just as well.

The red disk filters are for engines without fuel pumps. The white disk filters and clear filters with paper media are for engines with fuel pumps. I have seen scenarios where the paper media filters restricted flow in gravity fed systems. Your opposed twin engine should have a fuel filter on it, so any of the above filters would be fine. The clear filters with the paper media are probably the best.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
The clear filters with the paper media are probably the best.

Cool, that's what I was looking for. It seemed like the clear/paper media filters could be better than the disk ones, I may give 'em a whirl.

I wasn't aware that the red were gravity fed. I've always used white, but wondered why there were seemingly identical red ones on the shelf.

The red disc-type filters are 150 micron, and the white (or light grey) disc-type filters are 75 micron. Both of them have brass screens in them and are for gravity feed applications.
The bigger cylindrical plastic filters with the paper element inside are 60 micron, and the bigger cylindrical metal filters are 10 micron. Both of these are used in fuel pump applications.

^^^these^^^

i have used in several gravity apps. I got mine at a motorcycle shop. completely solved the carb problems I had with dirty fuel hacking off my honda mower and other OPE. (and motorcycle...)

As much as Honda mowers have a reputation for gummed-up carburetors, neither of my 10+ year old Honda engines have ever had carburetor problems. Neither of them have been off the engine or opened in any way. Nevertheless, I saw these at O'Reilly and bought a pair with some of my $5 coupons this spring. Both engines now have filters; I figured my luck had to be close to running out! Watch...now that they're filtered better, I'll have a carburetor problem...

But anyway, I can confirm that these work great in gravity-feed small engines. They seem to be better constructed than some of the small engine filters, and take up less space than the disk-screen B&S filters. These are my new go-to filter for small engines.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
they have a different type of media that reminds me of coral.
It's called "sintered bronze". Powdered material is held in a mold and then heated to a temperature below the melting point. The atoms in the powder particles diffuse across the boundaries of the particles, fusing the particles together and creating one solid piece. I'm not sure what makes it special in terms of filtering ability over paper media.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
I'm not sure what makes it special in terms of filtering ability over paper media.

They probably don't filter better than paper. But the media is self-supporting and likely never breaks down, so they can be made smaller to fit in smaller areas and they are very long-lasting. They probably also flow better (because the paper ones say to only use them with a fuel pump), so that could be critical depending on application. For a fuel pump application, I'd probably use a paper media filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back