brief history of european motor oil

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: nap
But all those 10W40 were meeting API specs, weren’t they?

The problem was SAE J300 at the time, allowing such a low HTHS for a 10w-40.

That was the era that they didn't understand that HTHS was an issue...then when they did they still let the 10W40s have 2.9, same as the 30s.

Franz More syntzetics of the 70s were AGIP SINT 2000 10w50 said:
My gap year (1986/7) I worked in a service station, and we held (not sold) Sint 2000...it was $10.50 per litre, in metal 1 litre tins...regular Shell super SF was $7.99 for 4 litres.

I ended up getting a guy with a turbo volvo (neighbour) interested in the stuff after he wasted his second turbo on GTX.

He bought the lot (20ish litres), ran it for 8,000km in his turbo volvo, then ran that through his beaters. Old Datsun 1200s didn't know what hit them,

Originally Posted By: Shannow
That was the era that they didn't understand that HTHS was an issue...then when they did they still let the 10W40s have 2.9, same as the 30s.

Yes, that is true. 20/20 hindsight does help.

Originally Posted By: Franz
If you ever find some of the old TXT R or RS bottles please let me know I am buying them if you would ship them, I would pay good Price!

Do you think I'm the sort of guy who would buy good oil, use it, and then hold on to an empty bottle for ten or twenty years .....

You are a true hoarder ...
Next time my wife gets on my case, I'll show her your post ... lol

have used a lot of 10W-40's
I think 2 of my older cars call for it if ambient temp is over 120F or something like that!

A workmate cleaned out his FIL's shed after his death, and had a heap of Shell XMO 15W30 XHVI from the mid 80s...I should have grabbed the lot.

I've sent an oil bottle overseas before.

Mobil 1 0W40 when in Oz it had an "Energy Conserving" label on it.

I've thrown out too many good bottles.

I´m not intersting in fishing Hunting climbing mou ntains playing Soccer watching Rugby and Football on TV so I have to have a men´s Hobby, that are cars and I love to do them something good (changing all the fluids cleaning and polishing them). Back in the 90s we sold chrysler and Jeep at our Company gasoline as well as diesls ran on the same esso Ultra 10w40 synthetic blend oil altough they called for 5w30 and 10w30 (gasolines) and 15w40 (diesels) we didn´t have propblmes that were oil related!

Wooooooowww! That TXT aand Formula R cans are like a wet Dream to me, any Chance to sell them and ship them to me to Austria-europe? I know this would be expensive but I would take this Chance getting such rarities!

Looking back on some maintenance records, I was running Castrol TXT 10W40 in the early 90's, then in the mid 90's I started using Castrol Formula R 10W60 which changed to Castrol Edge 10W60 on about 2010.

I certainly have a record of an oil change with Castrol R in April 2009, and a Castrol Edge oil change in December 2011. My first Castrol R oil change was in January 1996.

This is the early Castrol Edge container, from the change over period. It looks different from today's containers with the silver rings.

Now I don’t feel so bad up here in Canada.
smile.gif
I felt good in Canada as well especially the fuel prices compared to the UK I visited Toronto in 2016 and 18 and realised how much we get ripped off with prices for fuel and oil in the UK and Oil is marketed with a Api symbol only Havoline I have noticed use it in the UK

Hi everybody!

I just wanted to give you guys a Brief overview of the history of engien oil for european cars, which diffred quite a bit from US engien oils! Beginning in the 1970s we had mostly 10w50 and 20w50 oils apart from straight grades the multigrades had so much viscosity improvers that they broke down after a few thousand Kilometers to 10w30 and didn´t lubricate very well! Castrol offered the first 15w50 with GTX2 in 1975 and all other companies like MOBIL Shell Total ... followed! Mobil offered the first full synthetic named SHC in 1973. More syntzetics of the 70s were AGIP SINT 2000 10w50, ELAN ester Super GTE 10w50, CASTROL RS 15w50 and MOBIL 1 5w20 the first fuel economy oil in 1977! The Goal of more fuel economy were the 10w30 so called "Light Running oils" in the 1980s which were also available in 10w40! Typically Brands were Shell TMO, BP STRATO; Fina EKOFINA, CASTROL TXT and many others in 10w30 and 10w40 grades! The typically premium oil of the 80s was in 15w40 grade the first was mMOBIL super FORMULA and CASTROL GTX2 TURBO approved! 15w40 was the grade for all cars in the 80s and early 90s! One of the most poular oils in europe was CASTROL GTX3 15w40! Beginning in the 90s was the synthetic oil wave with the super oils and grades like MOBIL 1 5w50, Castrol RS 10w60, Agip Sint 2000 10w40, Castrol TXT 5w40! The viscosity was lowered to 5w30 for Synthetics in 1995 and CAstrol SLX was the first 0w30 grade for best fuel economy! A year later Mobil offred the first 0w40 Motor oil, ARAL;SHELL,Agip, BP Esso and all other Brands offered 0w30 and 0w40 full Synthetics as their premium oils! Until today we still have 10w40 in use but the most recommended oils are 5w30s in different shapes like high peerformance cars or especially for Diesel particulate Filters! The CCMC specification which was introduced in the late 70s for european engines and was much thougher than tthe API Rating was dropped in favour of the ACEA SPecs in 1996! The 10w30 viscosity which is still popular in the USA I guess was dropped here in europe beginning in 1990 in favour of 10w40! If you have any comments or Information I would appreciate your Messages, I hope this was a Little interesting Information![/ht
[/QUOTE]

Hi everybody!

I just wanted to give you guys a Brief overview of the history of engien oil for european cars, which diffred quite a bit from US engien oils! Beginning in the 1970s we had mostly 10w50 and 20w50 oils apart from straight grades the multigrades had so much viscosity improvers that they broke down after a few thousand Kilometers to 10w30 and didn´t lubricate very well! Castrol offered the first 15w50 with GTX2 in 1975 and all other companies like MOBIL Shell Total ... followed! Mobil offered the first full synthetic named SHC in 1973. More syntzetics of the 70s were AGIP SINT 2000 10w50, ELAN ester Super GTE 10w50, CASTROL RS 15w50 and MOBIL 1 5w20 the first fuel economy oil in 1977! The Goal of more fuel economy were the 10w30 so called "Light Running oils" in the 1980s which were also available in 10w40! Typically Brands were Shell TMO, BP STRATO; Fina EKOFINA, CASTROL TXT and many others in 10w30 and 10w40 grades! The typically premium oil of the 80s was in 15w40 grade the first was mMOBIL super FORMULA and CASTROL GTX2 TURBO approved! 15w40 was the grade for all cars in the 80s and early 90s! One of the most poular oils in europe was CASTROL GTX3 15w40! Beginning in the 90s was the synthetic oil wave with the super oils and grades like MOBIL 1 5w50, Castrol RS 10w60, Agip Sint 2000 10w40, Castrol TXT 5w40! The viscosity was lowered to 5w30 for Synthetics in 1995 and CAstrol SLX was the first 0w30 grade for best fuel economy! A year later Mobil offred the first 0w40 Motor oil, ARAL;SHELL,Agip, BP Esso and all other Brands offered 0w30 and 0w40 full Synthetics as their premium oils! Until today we still have 10w40 in use but the most recommended oils are 5w30s in different shapes like high peerformance cars or especially for Diesel particulate Filters! The CCMC specification which was introduced in the late 70s for european engines and was much thougher than tthe API Rating was dropped in favour of the ACEA SPecs in 1996! The 10w30 viscosity which is still popular in the USA I guess was dropped here in europe beginning in 1990 in favour of 10w40! If you have any comments or Information I would appreciate your Messages, I hope this was a Little interesting Information!
Nice write up Franz

Back