brief history of european motor oil

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: nap
But all those 10W40 were meeting API specs, weren’t they?
The problem was SAE J300 at the time, allowing such a low HTHS for a 10w-40.
That was the era that they didn't understand that HTHS was an issue...then when they did they still let the 10W40s have 2.9, same as the 30s.

[quote=Franz More syntzetics of the 70s were AGIP SINT 2000 10w50, [/quote] My gap year (1986/7) I worked in a service station, and we held (not sold) Sint 2000...it was $10.50 per litre, in metal 1 litre tins...regular Shell super SF was $7.99 for 4 litres. I ended up getting a guy with a turbo volvo (neighbour) interested in the stuff after he wasted his second turbo on GTX. He bought the lot (20ish litres), ran it for 8,000km in his turbo volvo, then ran that through his beaters. Old Datsun 1200s didn't know what hit them,

Originally Posted By: Shannow
That was the era that they didn't understand that HTHS was an issue...then when they did they still let the 10W40s have 2.9, same as the 30s.
Yes, that is true. 20/20 hindsight does help.

SR5

Originally Posted By: Franz
If you ever find some of the old TXT R or RS bottles please let me know I am buying them if you would ship them, I would pay good Price!
Do you think I'm the sort of guy who would buy good oil, use it, and then hold on to an empty bottle for ten or twenty years .....

You are a true hoarder ... Next time my wife gets on my case, I'll show her your post ... lol have used a lot of 10W-40's I think 2 of my older cars call for it if ambient temp is over 120F or something like that!

A workmate cleaned out his FIL's shed after his death, and had a heap of Shell XMO 15W30 XHVI from the mid 80s...I should have grabbed the lot. I've sent an oil bottle overseas before. Mobil 1 0W40 when in Oz it had an "Energy Conserving" label on it. I've thrown out too many good bottles.

Franz

I´m not intersting in fishing Hunting climbing mou ntains playing Soccer watching Rugby and Football on TV so I have to have a men´s Hobby, that are cars and I love to do them something good (changing all the fluids cleaning and polishing them). Back in the 90s we sold chrysler and Jeep at our Company gasoline as well as diesls ran on the same esso Ultra 10w40 synthetic blend oil altough they called for 5w30 and 10w30 (gasolines) and 15w40 (diesels) we didn´t have propblmes that were oil related!

Franz

Wooooooowww! That TXT aand Formula R cans are like a wet Dream to me, any Chance to sell them and ship them to me to Austria-europe? I know this would be expensive but I would take this Chance getting such rarities!

SR5

Looking back on some maintenance records, I was running Castrol TXT 10W40 in the early 90's, then in the mid 90's I started using Castrol Formula R 10W60 which changed to Castrol Edge 10W60 on about 2010. I certainly have a record of an oil change with Castrol R in April 2009, and a Castrol Edge oil change in December 2011. My first Castrol R oil change was in January 1996. This is the early Castrol Edge container, from the change over period. It looks different from today's containers with the silver rings.