Brembo Xtra rotors vs Otto Zimmermann Sport Coat Z

Maybe, IMO it is saving a buck when advertising otherwise.
I have slotted Brembo on Tiguan and they are directional for each wheel and high carbon, per packaging.
And what's the benefit of directional slots in a rotor that has straight vanes? It does nothing for cooling, nor airflow at the surface of the rotors, nor does it do anything for the brake pad bite, nor it has benefits for scraping of the pads. All it is for is aesthetics.

Brembo doesn't list a slotted sport rotor for the 312mm rotors (anymore?)

But, Brembo lists a "cheapened" version that is not side specific.
a57907b1-39a2-4ede-bbe5-a36252b9b247

And what's the benefit of directional slots in a rotor that has straight vanes? It does nothing for cooling, nor airflow at the surface of the rotors, nor does it do anything for the brake pad bite, nor it has benefits for scraping of the pads. All it is for is aesthetics.

Brembo doesn't list a slotted sport rotor for the 312mm rotors (anymore?)

But, Brembo lists a "cheapened" version that is not side specific.
a57907b1-39a2-4ede-bbe5-a36252b9b247
IDK what they list now for Tiguan, I got these in 2014. After 30k, they are brand new.
Regardless, those are only slotted rotors I got (they were on sale on AutoAnything for dirt cheap). Before and after that, always solid rotor.

Zimmerman is generally pretty overpriced, especially with their normal spec offerings. I remember their plain jane uncoated rotors for the C63 were like 2.5x the price of the Centrics. I’d feel good about purchasing them just became they’re not of chinese origin but honestly any rotor on clearance at RockAuto will do the same job for less.

In my case they are similarly priced, with the Bermbos being a little more expensive.

I would make my choice based on 3 points:
  1. Which one has an alloy that behaves better on higher temps.
  2. Which one has better cooling.
  3. Which one has better coating.
Does anyone know the pattern of the veins for the Zimmermann Sport rotors, by the way?

It's nice when manufacturers give mored details:
http://www.dbausa.com/what-is-xg-150/

By the way DBA T2 is 1.9 kg heavier per rotor than the Brembo Xtras (+34% increase of weight) and 1.7 kg heavier than the Zimmermann Sports (+29.6% heavier). Does the weight says anything about the metal quality? More mass surely means greater thermal capacity.

It also adds more unsprung weight/mass. The use of alloys can reduce weight while maintaining strength and durability, it cost more but you get what you pay for.

It also adds more unsprung weight/mass. The use of alloys can reduce weight while maintaining strength and durability, it cost more but you get what you pay for.

Yes, definitely. A material with higher thermal capacity can achieve the same results as a heavier object with smaller thermal capacity. But that's just one possibility. Again it would be great if manufacturers were offering more detailed specs, so any choice could be made based on facts.

By the way, the DBAs are the most expensive of the 3 brands, at least in my case.

IDK what they list now for Tiguan, I got these in 2014. After 30k, they are brand new.
Regardless, those are only slotted rotors I got (they were on sale on AutoAnything for dirt cheap). Before and after that, always solid rotor.
Again, you never answered the question, what's the benefit of of side specific slotting and/or drilling on straight vane rotors? Other than aesthetics.

In my case they are similarly priced, with the Bermbos being a little more expensive.

I would make my choice based on 3 points:
  1. Which one has an alloy that behaves better on higher temps.
  2. Which one has better cooling.
  3. Which one has better coating.
Does anyone know the pattern of the veins for the Zimmermann Sport rotors, by the way?

It's nice when manufacturers give mored details:
http://www.dbausa.com/what-is-xg-150/

By the way DBA T2 is 1.9 kg heavier per rotor than the Brembo Xtras (+34% increase of weight) and 1.7 kg heavier than the Zimmermann Sports (+29.6% heavier). Does the weight says anything about the metal quality? More mass surely means greater thermal capacity.
The type of vanes depends on the application. If the factory spec is straight vane, than it is likely aftermarket OE replacement is likely the same.

Again, you never answered the question, what's the benefit of of side specific slotting and/or drilling on straight vane rotors? Other than aesthetics.
I never argued there is benefit of side specific slotting or drilling. But, last time I checked all OE applications and many other manufacturers do have side specific drilling or slotting bcs. why not paying attention to aesthetics? You are paying premium on a product with questionable performance delivery where 99% of those who buy that same product buy it bcs. of aesthetics, but who cares about this "small" aesthetic detail?

I never argued there is benefit of side specific slotting or drilling. But, last time I checked all OE applications and many other manufacturers do have side specific drilling or slotting bcs. why not paying attention to aesthetics? You are paying premium on a product with questionable performance delivery where 99% of those who buy that same product buy it bcs. of aesthetics, but who cares about this "small" aesthetic detail?
Apparent you care about this aesthetic detail.

Since you like ATE before Zimmerman....

Are these inferior in your eyes? These are not side specific either.
ate_brake_disc1.jpg

I ran them before with Hawk HPS pads

Apparent you care about this aesthetic detail.

Since you like ATE before Zimmerman....

Are these inferior in your eyes? These are not side specific either.
ate_brake_disc1.jpg

I ran them before with Hawk HPS pads
So ATE decided to make asymmetric rotor. Do not understand your point? If company makes symmetric rotors, make them going same direction. It is for aesthetic purpose anyway.

So ATE decided to make asymmetric rotor. Do not understand your point? If company makes symmetric rotors, make them going same direction. It is for aesthetic purpose anyway.

Assymmetric rotors that are drilled and/or slotted are low quality and lack "german attention to detail" in your viewpoint.

These are your words below:
I always go Brembo, ATE, Textar before Zimmerman.
One thing about Zimmerman drilled rotors is that left and right rotor are drilled in the same direction. That tells you all you need to know about quality control.

Sure there is no need in general. But that seems like saving few bucks so they do not have to drill rotors for specific side. Brembo etc. are all drilling them for specific side. A bit more emphasis on details is actually very German thing.

Especially since Brembo, ATE, and Textar make drilled and/or slotted rotors that are made in one pattern for both sides.

Textar example: W212 E-class rear rotors. One part number for both sides.

To you that's low quality and not having German attention to detail.

Assymmetric rotors that are drilled and/or slotted are low quality and lack "german attention to detail" in your viewpoint.

These are your words below:

Especially since Brembo, ATE, and Textar make drilled and/or slotted rotors that are made in one pattern for both sides.

Textar example: W212 E-class rear rotors. One part number for both sides.

To you that's low quality and not having German attention to detail.

So yeah if drilled pattern is in same direction, yes, I consider that lack of attention to detail and would not buy it, Brembo, ATE, ZImmerman or Textar. Whatever. I guess they think customer does not care anyway as neighbor will not notice that.

Zimmerman is small ball like golf balls and Alfred Teves is big league in the brake world. Ever seen Zimmerman calipers? Oh that’s right they don’t make any.

It’s time to pack your bags and leave this thread right now

So yeah if drilled pattern is in same direction, yes, I consider that lack of attention to detail and would not buy it, Brembo, ATE, ZImmerman or Textar. Whatever. I guess they think customer does not care anyway as neighbor will not notice that.

I am not understanding this at all, if the rotor has straight vanes how is supposed to be drilled side specific and how does this show a lack of attention to detail? If the rotor uses curved vanes then it will be drilled side specific by default, the manufacturer of the vehicle specs the OE design not the manufacturer of the rotor.

Zimmerman is small ball like golf balls and Alfred Teves is big league in the brake world. Ever seen Zimmerman calipers? Oh that’s right they don’t make any.

I guess you should throw SHW in the same pot, the are the OE supplier for some Porsche models, EBC doesn't manufacture calipers either so I guess they are crap also. Small specialized manufacturers make some of the best parts.

It’s time to pack your bags and leave this thread right now

Not very nice and deserves an apology IMO. Anyone can post their opinion, if you don't agree make your case.

I’ve used both Zimmerman Z-coated non-drilled and SHW floating drilled rotors on my BMWs (SHW on front, Zimmerman on rear). I’ve been very happy with both. Zimmerman and SHW are different price points, but both are high quality rotors.

Our bought new Passat got rusty hats very quickly on the factory installed OEM rotors. Also too, even with it being driven easily, the OEM rotors showed lots of wide “streaks” and uneven appearing wear on the braking surfaces. Because I have a genuine hatred for rusty rotor hats, I put on a full set of Zimmerman Z-coats at 6k miles. Strange thing is, even using the original OEM pads, the Zimmerman braking surfaces look smooth as glass.

Scott

Last edited:
Back