Brembo Xtra rotors vs Otto Zimmermann Sport Coat Z

One of my questions would be which coating has better resistance.
My experience with painted rotors is that the sides of the rear rotors and the veins of the front ventilated ones rusted as if they were not painted. The hubs did well.

Performance wise I don't think there are any comparisons, but I would wonder if one of them would run cooler under spirited road driving on mountain roads.

Does anyone have personal experience or an opinion about which of the two rotors is better?

I'm talking about the:
Thanks in advance!
I always go Brembo, ATE, Textar before Zimmerman.
One thing about Zimmerman drilled rotors is that left and right rotor are drilled in the same direction. That tells you all you need to know about quality control.

AFAIK there is no need other than optics to drill left and right differently based on what their function is unless OE specified. It has nothing to do with QC. Zimmernman are German made with German foundry iron.

The turn direction of our sports brake discs is not static. Production-wise, opposing drilling patterns are specified in part (e.g. brake discs with curved fins). Brake discs running in opposite directions (right / left) generally do not cause any technical effect. Directionally bound brake discs are only found in very few vehicles - mostly due to technical design issues.

They answer all questions here..

AFAIK there is no need other than optics to drill left and right differently based on what their function is unless OE specified. It has nothing to do with QC. Zimmernman are German made with German foundry iron.

They answer all questions here..

Sure there is no need in general. But that seems like saving few bucks so they do not have to drill rotors for specific side. Brembo etc. are all drilling them for specific side. A bit more emphasis on details is actually very German thing.

It also would be great if manufacturers were releasing technical specs like the coefficient of friction - temperature graph etc. It would make decisions. easier.

Brembo gives more details about their discs. They mention a specific veins design and they also talk about the material, which is a high carbon alloy. I read about some benefits for high carbon discs from EBC: https://ebcbrakes.com/ebc-high-carbon-brake-discs-for-performance-driving/
Zimmermann does not give any details about the alloy they use.

I always go Brembo, ATE, Textar before Zimmerman.
One thing about Zimmerman drilled rotors is that left and right rotor are drilled in the same direction. That tells you all you need to know about quality control.
So are Brembo Xtra rotors, in my application, they are drilled in the same direction. Not really a big deal, since the vanes are straight. Funny, the spec drawing says the front rotors are High Carbon, but the box is not marked as High Carbon, maybe an Italian worker forgot to check it.

On straight vane rotors, directional drilling or slotting are just aesthetics. If it had curved vanes, different issue.

the old ATE Premium One slotted rotors, they are symmetrical also, as the vanes are straight as well.

Last edited:
i like EBC per their higher carbon content made in the UK, their pads usually from USA. Brembo makes great stuff but they have different grades like most + their name + reputation = higher $$$$ as they support professional racing $$$$. some motorcycle Brembo suppliers recommend EBC replacement pads for comparable performance BUT lower cost

It also would be great if manufacturers were releasing technical specs like the coefficient of friction - temperature graph etc. It would make decisions. easier.

Brembo gives more details about their discs. They mention a specific veins design and they also talk about the material, which is a high carbon alloy. I read about some benefits for high carbon discs from EBC: https://ebcbrakes.com/ebc-high-carbon-brake-discs-for-performance-driving/
Zimmermann does not give any details about the alloy they use.

Its all in the Q&A.

Zimmermann brake discs are usually made of cast iron (with flake graphite) of different qualities; they correspond to the material used for the original spare parts. Therefore, the utilization of such materials (referred to as "High Carbon” by the competition) has always been a matter of course for Otto Zimmermann.

@Trav
What does this mean exactly? That all the rotors they make are the equivalent of what other manufacturers call "high carbon"? Or does this apply to specific rotors only?

@Trav
What does this mean exactly? That all the rotors they make are the equivalent of what other manufacturers call "high carbon"? Or does this apply to specific rotors only?

AFAIK all Zimmermann rotors are "high carbon" iron. The difference is it is from German foundries not Chinese as most of the others are in this price class. Brembo makes some really nice stuff but from what I have seen it is not the stuff sold on Rock and other Euro parts places.

So are Brembo Xtra rotors, in my application, they are drilled in the same direction. Not really a big deal, since the vanes are straight. Funny, the spec drawing says the front rotors are High Carbon, but the box is not marked as High Carbon, maybe an Italian worker forgot to check it.

On straight vane rotors, directional drilling or slotting are just aesthetics. If it had curved vanes, different issue.

the old ATE Premium One slotted rotors, they are symmetrical also, as the vanes are straight as well.
Maybe, IMO it is saving a buck when advertising otherwise.
I have slotted Brembo on Tiguan and they are directional for each wheel and high carbon, per packaging.

Zimmerman is generally pretty overpriced, especially with their normal spec offerings. I remember their plain jane uncoated rotors for the C63 were like 2.5x the price of the Centrics. I’d feel good about purchasing them just became they’re not of chinese origin but honestly any rotor on clearance at RockAuto will do the same job for less.

Back