Brembo/EBC Rotors Really Better??

But, considering Brembo's experience in racing, considering that they are OE on Porsche, BMW M, Ferrari, Dodge SRT etc.
I have installed Brembo pads on my various of cars - 2001 Mercury Sable, 2011 Ford Edge, 2000 Hyundai Sonata, 2011 Kia Soul.
What I can say is those pads, even if they are red painted and labeled "Brembo" are not at all like pads for super expensive cars. They are cheap-ish and probably made in the same factory like other non-OE pads are made.

More, their quality seems the have slipped. The first two sets (4 wheels) that I have installed about 4-5 years ago are still fine. But more recent installs (one year ago) have developed a squeaking noise when braking - when getting at a low rotational speed. Nothing looks bad visually... maybe the shim backing failed...

I am looking to put brake pads on my 2011 RAV4, but I definitely won't go with "Brembo" anymore. They are "Premium NAO Ceramic OE equivalent" and I will prefer something better than OE, probably that is carbon-ceramic or carbon-metallic.

Last edited:
Brembo.... fancy on a fancy car.... nothing special for OE replacement daily driver parts.
That's true. Brembo pads that we get for our daily drivers are nothing like the ones for sports cars. Check on their website, and you will see that they have "OE equivalent" descriptions.

Last edited:
Unless you're getting Brembo Motorsports - the stuff you only run on the track and not the street, then you're usually for Brembo-labeled Ferodo/Pagid/Textar. Not that those 3 are bad either though.

The OEM Evo pads were actually brembo-labelled Ferodos. The closest performing but never actually confirmed match were the Ferodo DS3000s. Great choice of pads for OE.

Last edited:
I have installed Brembo pads on my various of cars - 2001 Mercury Sable, 2011 Ford Edge, 2000 Hyundai Sonata, 2011 Kia Soul.
What I can say is those pads, even if they are red painted and labeled "Brembo" are not at all like pads for super expensive cars. They are cheap-ish and probably made in the same factory like other non-OE pads are made.

More, their quality seems the have slipped. The first two sets (4 wheels) that I have installed about 4-5 years ago are still fine. But more recent installs (one year ago) have developed a squeaking noise when braking - when getting at a low rotational speed. Nothing looks bad visually... maybe the shim backing failed...

I am looking to put brake pads on my 2011 RAV4, but I definitely won't go with "Brembo" anymore. They are "Premium NAO Ceramic OE equivalent" and I will prefer something better than OE, probably that is carbon-ceramic or carbon-metallic.
Brembo is trying to get piece of pie in aftermarket. Those pads are far from those on Porsche etc. Not sure you would want that anyway in regular driving.

Yeah, the metal for discs is 99.9% of times a low grade cast iron:
There are other exotic materials, but they are used mostly for racing:

And yes, Brembo makes those sport brake discs too, but they are another kind of animal:

PS: 668-horsepower Cadillac CT4-V / CT5-V Blackwing has an carbon-ceramic option for brakes, clamped with six piston front calipers:

Last edited:
I have used PowerStop slotted rotors for well over 140K miles on my previously owned sedan and I've never resurfaced them; however id pay attention to the pads, choose softer pads with less warranty miles on them

Brembo NAO versus their Low-Metal.

Attachments

• brembo.JPG
    brembo.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 139
Back