Breaking people of the 3000 mile oil change habit

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason they can charge 19.99 for oil change is because they only change 2 quarts or less out and wipe down the filter. They also pay the poor guy minimum wage and he can change 5 cars one hour.

I change my M1 oil at 10,000 miles. I have to fight the urge to let it stay in another 2000 miles everytime. It would be working fine 1t 15,000 miles I bet.

Well... I have no heartburn with longer (say 5000-6000 mile) changes, but my truck is still under warranty, and I meet the Schedule B requirements, so I do the 3000 mile changes that it calls for.

I think when it's out of warranty I'm going to go to 5000 mile changes (on dino oil)

Thank goodness for an OLM. Even I leave it in longer than 3K miles now, when I was an AVID changer at that short interval. Now...if only I could extend it to 10K...naaa. Too many oils, so few OC's...

Young college student called her mechanic, said she was 16 miles over the oil change sticker mileage and should she have her car towed to the shop for the oil change. The mechanic said it would be ok if she came in right away with no side trips, and all this for a 3k interval on Mobil 1. So if you ever need the last word on engine oil, check with your mechanic. This young lady knows that with the help of her mechanic she just barley avoided a tow bill, just. Aren't these mechanics helpful. She brough him cookies to thank him. She's the daughter of a friend and we sat her down for a long talk about taking care of her car. We hoping for some cookies, too. When you can get your cookies from a cute young college girl then it's been a good day. And it's good to find out that if you might run over your mileage interval that, per this mechanic you should not use Mobil 1.

I just run GTX 5w30 for 5k miles in my 4.3 V6. Using a super tech filter my oil change costs are under $15. If I go and let the OLM tell me when to change the oil, it doesn't pop until 10k...that's too long.

Know of one Police Interceptor that was a "take home"... Lady Dep, never took the ride in, for the 3K "Severe Service" change. These 4.6's can use a QT. in 1,500 miles, and Ford considers that within spec.
frown.gif
Somewhere after about 16K, the engine crapped-out, with about 1 & 1/2th QT. of basically SLUDGE in the case.

A 2nd Vic, used a QT., about every 800 miles. It started life, being changed at 2,700K with Kendall 5-30 "Dino." At 87K, they went to Mobil 1. They never "changed" the oil again---just the filter at 3K---and added a QT., when it went one low... Car went close to 270K, with no probs, when they canned it.

The POWER of lowly REPLENISHMENT>?
confused.gif

Lonnie

I'm sure it happens to young guys too except the baking cookies part. I never had young girls bake me cookies.
grin.gif

What about additives (A-RX MD)? Will this allow for an extended OCI with a dino?

I am comfortable with a 5K OCI using Dino. This is mostly because of my 5.8 quart sump capacity and the recommendation of the manufacturer.

Quote:

Quote:

The 3/3 oil change died out in Oz a loooong time ago. Why not in the U.S?

Because the oil is/was very cheap here especially in relation to income, assuming those 3k OCIs are done using typical bulk dino. Even now, you can get your whole oil change (parts and labor) for $19.99 at many fast lube places. If this was more expensive, people would have more reason to reconsider such short OCIs.

Also, since the fast lube places make a lot of money on it (maybe not from the basic oil changes themselves, but from all the other stuff that they try to upsell you), it's in their best interest to bring you into their shop more frequently. So they spend significant advertising money to keep the customers informed that anything over 3k/3months is KILLING your engine. And then if they tell you that $19.99 is all it takes to stop the KILLING, then you gladly keep on doing it.

The Power of Marketing.

I go between 14k and 18k on oil changes. No problems for me. 79k miles on one vehicle and 112k on the other.

Extended OCI's are just an optimization exercise. If you are not into that type of thing then extended drain intervals are not for you.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The 3/3 oil change died out in Oz a loooong time ago. Why not in the U.S?

Because the oil is/was very cheap here especially in relation to income, assuming those 3k OCIs are done using typical bulk dino. Even now, you can get your whole oil change (parts and labor) for $19.99 at many fast lube places. If this was more expensive, people would have more reason to reconsider such short OCIs.

Also, since the fast lube places make a lot of money on it (maybe not from the basic oil changes themselves, but from all the other stuff that they try to upsell you), it's in their best interest to bring you into their shop more frequently. So they spend significant advertising money to keep the customers informed that anything over 3k/3months is KILLING your engine. And then if they tell you that $19.99 is all it takes to stop the KILLING, then you gladly keep on doing it.

The Power of Marketing.

I go between 14k and 18k on oil changes. No problems for me. 79k miles on one vehicle and 112k on the other.

what oil do you use and in what vehicles?
do you change the filter out in between oil changes?

If you mean me it's currently Havoline Energy 5W30 2000 Outback 12,500km OCI OEM filter 115,000km up, 89 Mazda 626 turbo (GT) PureONE filter, every oil between 10W30 (in now for RXrinse phase) to Penrite 25W70 average 10,000Kms OCI 250,000+kms up.

"The oil industry and car makers are going to win, they
have simply pumped people's heads full of this 3k/3mo interval "

The car makers are not the problem here, Jiffy Lube, Pennzoil and the rest are the ones leading this chorus and many, not all, dealerships are happy to sing along.

Car makers have been pushing recommended intervals up, and several major ones such as GM and Honda have gone to in-car maintenance minders which are much more sophisticated than any mileage/time rule of thumb.

It is the lube companies, at least some of them, and the shops which continue to push the 3/3 idea.

over here in Europe it's the opposite, if you say you change the oil before 10'000miles people look weird at you..I changed my oil on my Ford Mondeo 2.0 since ever every 10'000miles, car got 120'000miles and never had an engine problem...
As long as the oil is so cheap in the USA (here you pay 8-20$/1qrt REGULAR oil) people will change oil like socks... same with the gas...
The only place I change oil every 3000miles is on my 530HP 440 engine on my musclecar...

I change my van's oil at 3000 mi because the warranty says I have to if I want to keep it valid. My truck I change the filter every 3000 and the oil every 6000. I know of one guy that goes 10000 on his and doesn't bat a eye. I think he has a link to a oil study that is suppose to say that the oil works better as it gets older or something like that. Sorry but coming from the days of straight weights and changing at 2000 I have a hard time going past the 6000 mi mark. I don't mind saving money but I feel better that I change it a little sooner maybe than needed. After all it is a fairly hefty investment in the car.
As far as the Europeans going so much further than us I was told that their oil was formulated a lot different than us also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back