Breaking in new engine

We purchased a new 2020 Jetta 1.4 TSI this past Saturday. We had to drive 2 hours home so the engine hovered around 2K rpm most of the drive home. I changed it up every 30 minutes or so dropping it down to 7th or 6th gear to vary RPM. But this was still all at highway speed. Is this something to be concerned about? We have another 2 hour trip next weekend, should we not use the Jetta for highway travel until its fully broken in?

This is all new to me, I have never had a new car during the break in period. Some of these 1.4 TSI's use oil, I don't want to help get there any sooner.

No harm done, engines can't help but to break in . Think of commercial vehicles put into service brand new . They run fine and last and long as any other engine. Just drive it and enjoy.

Reactions: JC1
We purchased a new 2020 Jetta 1.4 TSI this past Saturday. We had to drive 2 hours home so the engine hovered around 2K rpm most of the drive home. I changed it up every 30 minutes or so dropping it down to 7th or 6th gear to vary RPM. But this was still all at highway speed. Is this something to be concerned about? We have another 2 hour trip next weekend, should we not use the Jetta for highway travel until its fully broken in?

This is all new to me, I have never had a new car during the break in period. Some of these 1.4 TSI's use oil, I don't want to help get there any sooner.
The rings and cams were for the most part broken in when you picked it up, now its just the other parts running in together which will happen during normal use. Just drive it normally.

I read up a lot on this subject just before I bought a RAM truck last year. Bottom line is that while a long drive is not optimal, anecdotal evidence from multiple sources indicate there is little if any issue with it. Do avoid WOT for a while, and do try to take it around town city driving some before your next trip. No need to stress. Drive on and enjoy your new ride.

My friend purchased a brand new 2018 VW Jetta 1.4T and we did a 1,200 mile road trip around the Southwest US right way. As long as you take it easy and don't rev the engine too high, you should be fine. Congrats on the new ride.

I read up a lot on this subject just before I bought a RAM truck last year. Bottom line is that while a long drive is not optimal, anecdotal evidence from multiple sources indicate there is little if any issue with it. Do avoid WOT for a while, and do try to take it around town city driving some before your next trip. No need to stress. Drive on and enjoy your new ride.
Some manufacturers state WOT is beneficial. I broke mine in by driving moderately, with a few WOT pulls from about 45 to 75, then letting it coast back down. Has yet to burn a drop of oil. Couldn’t avoid going above the 55mph they call out though.
50900FBD-7A17-438C-A638-754EC0933A75.jpeg

My Hyundai was put straight into mostly highway use after I purchased it new. Long stretches of 75+ miles an hour, sustained RPMs, etc. Now, three and a half years and 57k miles later, it doesn't burn a drop of oil and still gets great gas mileage. I'd say you're perfectly fine.

More like the sales guys in the dealership frankly.
Them too, although usually the lot boys at the dealerships I worked at moved the cars long before the salesmen got their hands on them. Either way many of them were beaten pretty hard, cold, right off the car carrier.

Odds are not if there was only 1 or 2 miles on it.
This is true too, although I saw quite a few with less than I mile on them. lol Again, odds are someone drove it fast and hard long before the owner took title to the vehicle. I'd venture a guess many were beaten hard off the assembly line, when finding a spot to park them at the plant they were made at.

Them too, although usually the lot boys at the dealerships I worked at moved the cars long before the salesmen got their hands on them. Either way many of them were beaten pretty hard, cold, right off the car carrier.
I make it clear with my lot guys on expectations.... beating on a car - not a good thing for the car or for their employment.

I make it clear with my lot guys on expectations.... beating on a car - not a good thing for the car or for their employment.
I don't ever recall anyone mentioning that to lot boys, or salesmen for that matter. Kudos for being smart enough to do so. I recall a few assistant managers lighting up tires on new cars off the carrier, or while moving them into the PDI area if things were busy. Those were the days.

If it were me, I would find an empty road in the evening and start doing 2nd or 3rd gear pulls (basically a gear that will be redline near 60mph) followed by engine braking, after at least half hour of normal driving, of course. I believe your Jetta has oil temp. readout. Do several of these, change the oil and filter and drive normally.

Or just don't do anything special and drive as you always would.

You will not get concensus on this, I can guarantee that.

Just drive it like you stole it, when I bought my 17 Regal GS 2.0T we had an hour and a half drive home on the freeway varied the cruise control between 70/75.

Engine break-in has been a topic of interest to me over the years. Due to the abundance of information on this topic, I've taken the middle road. I avoid babying it and I avoid driving it too hard.

There are a few things out of your control too, such as the engine type and whether by design it is less likely to experience oil consumption due to the ring type and manufacturing process. And also, whether it was already broken-in prior to you picking up the vehicle.

What I have settled on for the first 100 miles is the following: vary rpms. If possible put it in a high gear, low RPM and give it 3/4 throttle. Once you're around 70-100 miles don't be afraid to WOT. Most engines don't need an elaborate break-in today.

This video is a nice overview of a good process. It's not the only way, but I found it informative.

With that said, what you did should not be a problem. Cars are often transported from dealer to dealer and as a result highway miles are often inevitable.

Back