Breakin QR25DE right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is now after the fact but my 05 Nissan X-Trail is pretty much broke in now at 1700kms or 1000mile in last two weeks. It has been cold but moderate winter so I did most these kms on highway, I did not want large amount cold starts in first 2000km breakin period. I varied speed driving in variable rpm ranges between 2500 rmp which is 110kms or 70 mph in OD and 3000 rpm driving at 125km/h or 85 mph in OD, also kicking down out of overdrive to 3000 rpm up and down long low slope hills. Went as high as 4000 rmp for few seconds about 3 times. I never used cruise, I allowed speed to fluctuate.

I changed oil and filter at 700kms or 400 miles with XD3 5-30 dino,(high detergent Ch-i/sl dino oil, TBN of 12.2 and visc 11 at 100C, I will leave filter in and change out this oil at 2000 km, run this oil to 5000Kms total for things to seat in with dino and then put in 0-30 XD3 full syn oil on 5K on 5K OCIs).

Does this all sound good, any input or advise appreciated. Does this sound like good breakin?

Also, Nissan does calls for 2000 km breakin, is there such a thing a breakin on new motors anymore as I hear they are run at factories? (this QR25DE was made in Japan if their factories are any different)

thanks,
Cyprs

Good read, I read this page months ago, never had guts to do it but I did not baby this QR25DE as I did my 03 Altima QR25DE engine when it was new. I totaled that Altima, that engine was also in the VIN range of recall on the CAT, I got an 05 X-TRail now and this QR25DE is Japanese and I am told it clear of all recalls or problems, touch wood. How many miles on your QR25DE now Drive it Forever? Any more cat problems?

Are variable speed highway miles are as good as hard town miles? We drove it through town about 4 miles and out to Highway for 60 miles on picking X-Trail up.

thanks,
Cyprs

I drive an '03 Sentra SpecV with a QR25DE motor.

I changed the first batch of oil along with the filter at 1,700 miles. For assorted reasons, I changed it another 2-3 times before the 9,000 mile mark. Then I went with Schaeffer Supreme 7000 and 5,000 mile drain intervals.

I probably drove my car a little harder than you drove your X-Trail. Mostly tame driving ... with occasional blasts to 5,000 miles.
dunno.gif

Yes, UOAs prove that modern engine break-in still occurs ... but it is very different among the different brands of engines out there. UOAs show that clearly as well.

--- Bror Jace

I was told By Luv2drive to give it a few blasts too Bror, and Drive it Forever's link says to really work it when it is warm. How high rpm did you venture in the first 5K?

I changed oil and filter at 400 miles, I plan to change it again at 1200 miles without filter change, then full oil and filter at 3000miles, should I change filter too at 1200miles? I had planned to run this current mini OCI with this high detergent HDEO oil of XD3 5-30 dino as a second flush, I figured most the pre-lubes and major filings would be caught in filter change at 400 miles and the smaller metal wear would be suspended in just the oil on the 1200 mile oil drain and new refill. That was my idea, I may be wrong?

Would I be safe with syn oil at 3000 mile OCI guys?

thanks,
Cyprs

quote:

Originally posted by Cyprs:
Would I be safe with syn oil at 3000 mile OCI guys?

thanks,
Cyprs

I have switched a few cars over to Mobil 1 well before 1000 miles. My Nissan SR20DE was switched as soon as I got home from the dealer. It uses about an ounce of oil every 1000 miles.

I ventured up to about 5,000 RPMs, a handful of times in the first 6,000 miles. I got 6,000 miles as the "fully broken in" mark from Sport Compact Car magazine. They had a project car '02 SpecV they took rallying. Seemed reasonable to me.
dunno.gif

No, I guess I wouldn't bother changing the filter at the 1,200 mile mark as you changed it at 400 miles.

I think more than occasional RPMs, it's important to vary the load on the motor.

As for synthetics, I think they only come into their own during extremes of temperature and long duration intervals.

I don't think they have any effect on break-in (I think that old warning is a myth) but since you are going to be using short intervals, I'd stick with more modestly-priced mineral oils.

Others here, like JohnBrowning, have more info and stronger opinions about engine break-in.

Try searching this entire forum using the words "break-in" or "break in."

--- Bror Jace

I plan on giving this QR25DE a few good peaks of rpm prior to the syn oil toward end of the the final use of dino oil point. 6000 miles breakin sounds about right to me too, my manual says 2000kms or 1200miles, sounds a little soon, especially due to fact I am not working this engine too hard yet.

thanks all, good advice
Cyprs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back