Few Minute Metal Filings in Altima Drained Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Spector:
"Do you keep your vehicles long enough (300K+ without engine repair) to see the results of your 6000 mile OCIs XS650 and are your driving conds similar? If so, I am interested to see how 6000 mile OCI's do."

I know others have more miles with long OCI but in my case my 92 Camry has 169,000 miles with 7500 mile OCI which I started after about 10,000 miles on the engine. Driving condition, well, no one's is ever similar I guess but I do not see the minus zero degree weather you do and that is a factor, especially if you do trips under 10-15 miles.

Over the life of a car oil (even synthetic) is cheap compared to all other maintenance items you have to do.

Our 83 Camry had over 200k miles on it when we got rid of it. It got 7000 - 9000 OCIs with dino oil all it's life. It still ran good. The valve gear didn't look new, but it wasn't sludged, just some varnish with a few dark deposits. It looked alot better than some of the pictures I've seen here of 100k mile engines. Engine design and driving make a big difference.

quote:

You have to go with what you feel comfortable with and lets you sleep at night.

That's how you pick a religion, not an OCI.
smile.gif

I have a 93 Caravan AWD that has 400,000km on it. It's received 10,000km OCI's with bulk dino its whole life. The engine is completely original including all seals and runs like new. I plan on putting another 100k on it by spring and then trading it in but only because of it's age. I would switch it over to synthetic and do 20,000km OCI's but I'm afraid of leaks. No use risking it this late in the game.

I'm 4000km into my XD-3 trial on my Vibe. Driving conditions will be about the worst possible. We'll see how the UOA looks @ 10,000km.

I can see Cyprs's point of view though. If you like doing your own oil changes and can feed your car good synthetic for less than a dino change at the dealer and it helps you sleep at night then it's not all bad.

In my situation, a 5000km OCI would mean 100 oil changes per year.
shocked.gif
Not possible with my time schedule.

Sounds like you have good solid experience in your long OCIs XS650, it is experience like that that makes me pay attention. Many people will say they do long OCIs, when you asked them how long their engine lasted, they reply "I dont no, gave up lease in 4 years with 120K." they never know nor I how it did, someone else gets the benifit or loss from that maintainance.

My drive condtions are a little more severe than N. California, probably not in summer though.

Your right, sleep at night with what works "in real long term engine experience such as yours and mine on OCIs" is my motto, oils are getting better along with engine designs, it is the dirt content that puts the fear in me on long OCI.

I am sure this OCI term issue has be thrashed around a lot in forums, I will search some older forums in here and do some reading on OCI lengths, thanks XS650.

Cyprs

That is an impressive track record too Olympic, if I ever have to rack up the klicks you do on my vehicles I would probably consider extending OCI too, I would probably change the filter at 6500-7000 kms in paranoia of dirt in engine, obviously one filter in 10,000kms OCI works for you though.

Again, good to hear first hand testimonial on long OCI. Looking forward to your post on analysis on 0-30, I am going to do one on my Altima mid winter and next summer to check performance of this 0-30 XD3 oil in both temp conds, and in spring (to test cold temp operation) on 0-40 XD3 and another in summer during hot cond in my Cummins diesel. Will post them too.

thanks,
Cyprs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back