Brands with ADBV problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "older" 2.0L Zetec Ford engines(mines a 1996) used FL200 oil filters which were single bypass with the spring bypass at the opening. In 1997 or 1998 Ford went to a variable valve or cam timing engine for the 2.0L Zetec(sorry, not sure which one)which needed the dual bypass set up to work the new variable cam/valve set up to avoid engine noise. But on the subject of ADBV's I use to use a Fram oil filter and wondered why I had "loud" noise every start up. When I went back to the proper Motorcraft oil filter my engine start up noise went away. I'll assume that the lack of noise is due to a better ADBV in the Motorcraft oil filter.

Whimsey

"Unusual design to say the least. You can not fill it with oil before installation. "

Absolutely right! That's why I really hate this filter. Why in the world would Ford be so concerned about the top half of the engine that they feel it necessary to use two by-pass valves, but then they make it impossible to pre-fill the oil filter?!
dunno.gif
banghead.gif
gr_stretch.gif

Huh? What I hear is someone saying their oil filter is mounted vertically, with the threads pointing straight down, right?

#1: Ugh. That's gotta be messy at OC time!

#2: How is ANY ADBV going to work in this application? The ADBV's usually only prevent backflow through the smaller (inlet)openings, but not the central (outlet) tube (obviously). So when you turn your car off, the central tube drains out quickly. Oil can't drain back out the inlet holes, but it will quickly seep through the filter media and then drain through the central tube. Seem to me like you are gonna have a dry filter with ANY kind of ADBV design. What have I missed here?

Seems to me that ADBV only matters when the filter is mounted sideways. Then it keeps the filter a bit less than half full.

Nismo,

Just to add to our information base a little, what the is the filter orientation (open end up, sideways, angled, or open end down) on the two engines you used the K&Ns on?

On my SE-R its mounted sideways, and on her car it's at an angle.
grin.gif
cheers.gif
patriot.gif

The Zetec Ford engines unusual filters aside, here's another thought...stick a straw in a container of oil. Now close off the end of the straw, then lift the straw up out of the oil. How much oil stays in the stray?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back