Brand new VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo..oil - Confusion Abounds

The diesel fuel lubricity as used in the US is adequate for 120k miles according to Bosch, and 200k miles in Europe (smaller wear scar). The FIE manufacturers would like to see wear scars below 400um though, and that would increase the life of equipment beyond 300k miles.

I wouldn't expect 50% of vehicles to last much beyond 150k miles without extra costs or extra maintenance from the start.
What extra maintenance would you recommend to extend the service life of the high pressure fuel system?

What I meant was, why would the engine or drivetrain or maintenance shedule be designed for much more than 150/200k miles if the emissions equipment and FEI aren't? This means extra costs all around are expected if you want to seriously extend the life of the vehicle. Some get lucky and make it beyond, others not so much.

But to answer your question, make sure the HFRR is likely to be better than the bare minimum, every time. I believe it was afton chemical that published a study of fuel samples tested from all over the world. Pump diesel isn't guaranteed to meet the minimum requirements.

What I meant was, why would the engine or drivetrain or maintenance shedule be designed for much more than 150/200k miles if the emissions equipment and FEI aren't? This means extra costs all around are expected if you want to seriously extend the life of the vehicle. Some get lucky and make it beyond, others not so much.

But to answer your question, make sure the HFRR is likely to be better than the bare minimum, every time. I believe it was afton chemical that published a study of fuel samples tested from all over the world. Pump diesel isn't guaranteed to meet the minimum requirements.
Oh fair enough, a lot of people say ”add 2stroke oil every fill up” which has no effect and is in effect as good as snake oil. I was hoping you would have a well thought out recommendation but your advise is good. I just fill up at high turn over reputable stations to try and avoid any low quality fuel.

my less techy 2001 1.8 T jetta NEVER used OE oil as i dumped the free changes for girlfriends 99 malibu upon arriving home + since it only had a 4.25 QT sump i used real synthetic PAO at first then Ester both 10-30 later + i traded at 200 thou running well. i like todays DI VW performance but NOT its issues, so i wanted a different fun ride i opted for a similar 1.8T in a loooo mile 2001 TT 225Q roadster + love it!! same small sump so it gets Redline 10-40 + 15-40 for colder weather + top it with 15-50 as needed in hotter months. i see 25 on the vac-boost gauge i installed with the better-heavier redline oils that also reduced consumption of the slightly loose engine in spite of only 35 thou car fax miles when i purchased it!!
You don't want the current generation MQB engine issues so you bought instead an 01 1.8? Got it. 🤣 The new gen VW engines are excellent...what problems are you concerned with?

When Volkswagen and the Federal courts reached their agreement over the diesel cheating scandal, Volkswagen produced documentation that they along with other manufacturers consider 150,000 miles the design limit or lifetime of their passenger vehicles. May be worth looking up. IIRC the Japanese manufacturers were in lock step with the rest of the worlds manufacturers at that design limit life.

https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/volkswagen-clean-air-act-civil-settlement
This is taken out of context. VW had good reason to "lower" the design limits. It capped their potential liability in the emissions scandal. Means nothing in this issue being discussed.

You don't want the current generation MQB engine issues so you bought instead an 01 1.8? Got it. 🤣 The new gen VW engines are excellent...what problems are you concerned with?
What he is referring is known issue on old 1.8T which is sludge, but it is mostly related to longitudinal engines and it is not problem using good approved VW502.00.

What he is referring is known issue on old 1.8T which is sludge, but it is mostly related to longitudinal engines and it is not problem using good approved VW502.00.
I know, again, I can't believe someone would want that over a current-gen MQB 2.0/1.8!

Back