Brand new VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo..oil - Confusion Abounds

Going to post this in here rather than making a new thread. Please excuse my ignorance, but can I go to a VW dealership and ask them for the oil and filter to do the change myself? I'm getting mudflaps installed at a shop and they let customers bring their own oil for changes. I'm really glad I looked here because I bought a GLI in April and the owner's manual came with a Castrol Edge Professional slip. It also looks like Castrol Edge Professional is not found in the states. I was going to use the Castrol Edge Extended Performance thinking it is the closest thing to Edge Professional but now it looks like VW switched to Mobil 1?

Absolutely you can, and you'll probably find it isn't any more expensive either. My VW dealer is stocking quarts in VW508 0w20, VW504 0w30 and VW 502 5w40 all in VW/Audi bottles made by Mobil (VW recently switched).

Castrol Edge Professional was the former dealer lube and it not any different than Castrol found at Walmart, other than the dealer stuff did not have the Titanium additive and the Walmart version does.

Which spec do you need? I'm not sure on a GLI. It'll be on a sticker under the hood and in your owners manual. The owners manual is likely to be confusing, but the sticker will clear things up.

my less techy 2001 1.8 T jetta NEVER used OE oil as i dumped the free changes for girlfriends 99 malibu upon arriving home + since it only had a 4.25 QT sump i used real synthetic PAO at first then Ester both 10-30 later + i traded at 200 thou running well. i like todays DI VW performance but NOT its issues, so i wanted a different fun ride i opted for a similar 1.8T in a loooo mile 2001 TT 225Q roadster + love it!! same small sump so it gets Redline 10-40 + 15-40 for colder weather + top it with 15-50 as needed in hotter months. i see 25 on the vac-boost gauge i installed with the better-heavier redline oils that also reduced consumption of the slightly loose engine in spite of only 35 thou car fax miles when i purchased it!!

If the VW 508 is better than the older spec oil, why isn't it backwards compatible? Is it going to lunch the older engine? Special oil for a special low power engine?

If the VW 508 is better than the older spec oil, why isn't it backwards compatible? Is it going to lunch the older engine? Special oil for a special low power engine?
Bcs. 508. is 0W20. Older spec has much high HTHS, minimum 3.5. VW504.00/507.00 as well as VW511.00 are backward compatible. VW508.00 absolutely not!
Personally, no one would be able to pay me to use 0W20 in any VW.

Who said it was “better“? And what older spec?

And it’s not a spec, it’s an approval.

Who said it was “better“? And what older spec?

And it’s not a spec, it’s an approval.
If you want to be pedantically accurate, it is a "group standard" (this is what VW call it).

"SAE 0W-20 Service Engine Oil with Reduced Ash Content and Special Fuel-Saving Properties for Gasoline Engines".

Bcs. 508. is 0W20. Older spec has much high HTHS, minimum 3.5. VW504.00/507.00 as well as VW511.00 are backward compatible. VW508.00 absolutely not!
Personally, no one would be able to pay me to use 0W20 in any VW.
So what oil would you use in a 2019 3.0 from a S4,S5, SQ5? Both fixed and flexible intervals spec 508.

Ive not seen a engine failure in a Audi running 508 and that’s across 4 dealers. We put in what the service sheet specs for the customers interval of fixed/ flexible. Lease customers have to run 19,000 miles/ 2 years as the lease company won’t auth a service before that.

If you want to know what oil VAG advises for your engine ask for a service sheet to be printed off as it’s on it. This can be done without registering a service has been performed.

So what oil would you use in a 2019 3.0 from a S4,S5, SQ5? Both fixed and flexible intervals spec 508.

Ive not seen a engine failure in a Audi running 508 and that’s across 4 dealers. We put in what the service sheet specs for the customers interval of fixed/ flexible. Lease customers have to run 19,000 miles/ 2 years as the lease company won’t auth a service before that.

If you want to know what oil VAG advises for your engine ask for a service sheet to be printed off as it’s on it. This can be done without registering a service has been performed.
I would run VW504.00/507.00.
I know very well what VW recommends for their engines.
As for engine failure, at what point? 100,000 miles? 200,000 miles?

I would run VW504.00/507.00.
I know very well what VW recommends for their engines.
As for engine failure, at what point? 100,000 miles? 200,000 miles?
Over here lease company’s don’t tend to run cars much over 150,000 miles so we don’t see many over that.

I don’t know why people are so scared of the 508 oil it’s not like anyone has reported a failure or high engine wear with proof it’s due to the oil. It’s more likely to loose a engine due to a high pressure pump failure filling the sump with fuel.

Over here lease company’s don’t tend to run cars much over 150,000 miles so we don’t see many over that.

I don’t know why people are so scared of the 508 oil it’s not like anyone has reported a failure or high engine wear with proof it’s due to the oil. It’s more likely to loose a engine due to a high pressure pump failure filling the sump with fuel.
This is oil forum, not forum where we discuss what is financial incentive of lease companies.
This is forum, people discuss things. You have numerous manufacturers who went W20 route, just to go back to heavier oils. BMW retroactively moved N51/52/55 engines to FE oils, just to have sudden slew of rod bearing issues on N55.
What happens to vehicles during lease period is not telling us anything when it comes to potential long term issues.

This is oil forum, not forum where we discuss what is financial incentive of lease companies.
This is forum, people discuss things. You have numerous manufacturers who went W20 route, just to go back to heavier oils. BMW retroactively moved N51/52/55 engines to FE oils, just to have sudden slew of rod bearing issues on N55.
What happens to vehicles during lease period is not telling us anything when it comes to potential long term issues.
Lease cars put on the most miles on in the shortest period of time. You won’t find someone buying a car to put 150k on it in 18 months. So other than waiting 10 years to see what happens you asses what is happening now.

I didn’t mention anything about financial incentives my point was the engines don’t fail using that oil when serviced every 19k so people should as others have said trust the engineers.

I know it’s a forum I’m typing on it! VAG has watched and seen the mistakes the other have made with w20 oils and the reason the oil has dye in it is that is the oil they can’t people to use to get the best from the engine. No different to Land Rover using dyed oil in the 5.0 supercharged for the same reasons.

Use the oil that makes you happy but there’s less evidence to use the wrong spec than to use the right one.

Lease cars put on the most miles on in the shortest period of time. You won’t find someone buying a car to put 150k on it in 18 months. So other than waiting 10 years to see what happens you asses what is happening now.

I didn’t mention anything about financial incentives my point was the engines don’t fail using that oil when serviced every 19k so people should as others have said trust the engineers.

I know it’s a forum I’m typing on it! VAG has watched and seen the mistakes the other have made with w20 oils and the reason the oil has dye in it is that is the oil they can’t people to use to get the best from the engine. No different to Land Rover using dyed oil in the 5.0 supercharged for the same reasons.

Use the oil that makes you happy but there’s less evidence to use the wrong spec than to use the right one.
Isn't that generally the opposite for lease vs. purchase? Most leases here have miles restrictions, if someone is going to put on a lot of miles wouldn't they purchase the vehicle to avoid excessive mile penalties?

And that sentence I bolded, I don't understand what you mean.

Isn't that generally the opposite for lease vs. purchase? Most leases here have miles restrictions, if someone is going to put on a lot of miles wouldn't they purchase the vehicle to avoid excessive mile penalties?

And that sentence I bolded, I don't understand what you mean.
Here you set the lease up so it covers the miles you do so you don’t get charged on hand back. It works out cheeper than owning where as if you do low miles and keep the car in as new condition it will have a great resale value so you won’t loose as much so better off buying.

Cant should be want sorry a typo on my part.

Although many bite their tongues at the thought of using 0W-20 in anything, we're getting ahead of ourselves regarding the effectiveness of 508 long-term. Especially when the Lubrizol Performance Tool many of us use to show how much more stout euro approved oils are to ILSAC (not it's intended purpose but done so anyway), shows 508 (2.6 HTHS) is the equal to 505/502 (3.5 HTHS) in wear protection.

Last edited:

Which is actually good. Oils do good with lots of mileage in short period of time.
Also, young vehicles tend to have other parts function good. Leakey HPFP can wreak havoc in engine that has W20 oil. Heavier oils have more flexibility to absorb fuel dilution. HPFP issue is unlikely to happen in first 5k, unless HPFP is garbage. Sludge issues, bearing wear etc. All that is not concern for lease vehicles.

All I want to do is let people know what I see in a busy dealer network as a lot of the people posting won’t be seeing engines running on 508 that have done 100,000 miles that have only been serviced 5 times.

When Volkswagen and the Federal courts reached their agreement over the diesel cheating scandal, Volkswagen produced documentation that they along with other manufacturers consider 150,000 miles the design limit or lifetime of their passenger vehicles. May be worth looking up. IIRC the Japanese manufacturers were in lock step with the rest of the worlds manufacturers at that design limit life.

https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/volkswagen-clean-air-act-civil-settlement
I just did some reading and from what I saw, that 150K mile definition is related to the emissions systems operating as originally designed for 150K miles, not the useful life of the vehicle itself.

The diesel fuel lubricity as used in the US is adequate for 120k miles according to Bosch, and 200k miles in Europe (smaller wear scar). The FIE manufacturers would like to see wear scars below 400um though, and that would increase the life of equipment beyond 300k miles.

I wouldn't expect 50% of vehicles to last much beyond 150k miles without extra costs or extra maintenance from the start.

Back