Brand new VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo..oil - Confusion Abounds

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Originally Posted by TiGeo
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Jimmy_Russells said:
Again, you either trust the engineering or you don't.

If the car is driven like most daily drivers, 20 grade oil is 100% acceptable. If you actually use the car on back road jaunts for extended periods and/or track the car, I would move into a 504 oil. Apart from that, it's serious overthinking.

You can use your senses related to your driving style.
508 to 504 is too big a jump - you leapfrogged over the middle ground.

The Logical jump is to a ILSAC GF6 5W30.

As the 0W20 is a low ash, low HTHS oil, VERY similar to an M1 EP 0W20

So what exactly, in VW approved oils, is the middle ground?

Originally Posted by edyvw

No you don't.

Edy do you purposefully say wrong things? Because you do it all the time. The 2019 GLI absolutely does have a B cycle engine.

The 2019 GLI has the same 2.0 as in the GTI - not a Budak cycle like the Tiguan.

This stuff is so frigging confusing.

So in 2018 only Budacks in North America used 508 oils (Tiguan and A3). Apparently that changed in 2019, when they switched almost all engines to 508. I just assumed they were Budack engines.

So my apologies Edy, I was wrong on this one. We still don't know if they actually made any changes to the non-Budack engines for that oil though.
My understanding from lots of posts etc. is that the 2019s do indeed have a different part number for the oil pump. Someone can verify that if it matters to them - I have no skin in this game b/c well, I have a 1.8 and it's 502 00 all day/every day.

I don't think the differences between LM and the oils edy mentioned result in much real world wear and deposits differences. The numbers are better, as he described but if you like LM, keep using it. Even the Molygen. A UOA every so often will keep you informed as to how the 1.8T is doing.

Today I drove across Alligator Alley from Miami to Naples again, approximately 150 miles each way. For the very first time i could feel a difference between the x20 vs the x40. The turbo was very sluggish and gave me very little power below 3500RPM. It was very noticeable and disconcerting. I'm not sure how the different oil pump would cause this since the car was up to temperature and the cruise was at an average speed of 60mph but it's there. I may move to an x30. During acceleration from lower RPM, the x20, in my car at least, was excessively noisy regardless of brand. I firmly believe an x20 is fine in vehicles designed around it but like edy states, this isn't one of those. But throw in the wrench of an oil pump designed to flow lower viscosity better than a heavier, increased HTHS one...and you have this result. Like ARCO has opined previously, a 30 weight might be the sweet spot. I'm no longer concerned with meeting VW LL approval, my baseline is an oil I can run 5k miles that returns good UOA.

Folks that claim they can feel the difference in oil weights - I just don't believe it without data. I feel it's really just placebo or other environmental conditions making the car run differently (temp). Until someone produces data logs or performance numbers, I'm not convinced. I can understand noise differences...maybe...but that's about it.

Originally Posted by Trav
This is what the run in that 2019 2.0T in Germany. Obviously VW USA feels that the 0w20 is good enough for the mostly mundane use the engine will see in the USA.
The engine is not viscosity specific eg xw20, xw30, etc. I would run spec while under warranty then ESP 5w30, I run it in a R spec Beetle 2.0T and it runs perfect on it.

[Linked Image]

49.gif

I guess when the warranty is up this recommendation sounds like the best way to go. If one was willing to gamble, what "spec" 5w30 should you buy? Is it 504? 502?

Originally Posted by Zack1978
This is what the run in that 2019 2.0T in Germany. Obviously VW USA feels that the 0w20 is good enough for the mostly mundane use the engine will see in the USA.
The engine is not viscosity specific eg xw20, xw30, etc. I would run spec while under warranty then ESP 5w30, I run it in a R spec Beetle 2.0T and it runs perfect on it.

[Linked Image]

49.gif

I guess when the warranty is up this recommendation sounds like the best way to go. If one was willing to gamble, what "spec" 5w30 should you buy? Is it 504? 502?

Folks that claim they can feel the difference in oil weights - I just don't believe it without data. I feel it's really just placebo or other environmental conditions making the car run differently (temp). Until someone produces data logs or performance numbers, I'm not convinced. I can understand noise differences...maybe...but that's about it.

100%

When cold the oil is multiple times thicker (many dozens of times or more) than operating temperature. So when a 20 grade and 40 grade are both at operating temperature the ~40% increase in KV100 isn't that much.

[Linked Image]

49.gif

VW504.00 is most stringent W30 approval when it comes to wear. But in other "disciplines" it is bit behind MB 229.51/52 or BMW LL04.
What you want is oil that has several approvals, VW504.00/507.00, MB229.51 or MB229.52, BMW LL04 etc.
Mobil1 ESP 5W30 is good oil, Motul 5W30 X-Clean+ is good, etc.

My 2019 Golf Alltrack 1.8T specs 502 or 504 oil per the owners manual and sticker in the engine compartment. I went to my local dealer to buy the oem 0w30 and the parts guy said his computer shows 0w20 is the correct oil for my car. I told him about the owners manual and engine sticker and bought the 0w30 504 oil.

Originally Posted by Finklejag
My 2019 Golf Alltrack 1.8T specs 502 or 504 oil per the owners manual and sticker in the engine compartment. I went to my local dealer to buy the oem 0w30 and the parts guy said his computer shows 0w20 is the correct oil for my car. I told him about the owners manual and engine sticker and bought the 0w30 504 oil.

You can run any of the common 5W40/0W40s (502) you can find anywhere. If you want a 504, you can run the Penzoil Euro. Just may be easier than a trip to the dealer.

Originally Posted by Finklejag

You need VW504.00/507.00 either 0W30 or 5W30. Approval is what matters not grade.
VW is very confusing with oil recommendations. We have been through this numerous times here.

Originally Posted by Kamele0N

49.gif

what "spec" 5w30 should you buy? Is it 504? 502?
l

504 doesnt exist!!! Its vw 504/507 only!
[/quote]
Huh?

Originally Posted by Kamele0N

49.gif

what "spec" 5w30 should you buy? Is it 504? 502?
l

504 doesnt exist!!! Its vw 504/507 only!
[/quote]
It does. Gas engines will come with 504.00 recommendation, diesels will come with 507.00 recommendation.
However, specifications are interchangeable.

[Linked Image]

49.gif

FYI everyone, Napa currently has a sale running on Mobil 1 5w30 ESP. It is selling for $6.99 per quart. It seems that literally every other country of the world that utilizes the 2.0 recommends 5w30 ESP, except the US that calls for the 0w20.
With that said I recently read that the current version of the Mobil 1 5w30 ESP is not as good as the previous version, but I don't know the specifics.

FYI everyone, Napa currently has a sale running on Mobil 1 5w30 ESP. It is selling for $6.99 per quart. It seems that literally every other country of the world that utilizes the 2.0 recommends 5w30 ESP, except the US that calls for the 0w20.
With that said I recently read that the current version of the Mobil 1 5w30 ESP is not as good as the previous version, but I don't know the specifics.

Previous version was made in France and had slightly lower saps and slightly higher KV@100 and HTHS. The newer stuff is made in Texas and while not "as good" on paper is still excellent oil.

I’m a bit over 900 miles on the change to M1 0w40 FS in mine and I haven’t noticed any changes in accel or anything like that. Not that I expected so

in fact so far the last couple tanks of fuel have been the best I have had MPG wise 🤷‍♂️

just my 2 cents

this thread gives me more reason to keep my 2013 passat with its plain vanilla, non turbo, “boring” 2.5liter 5 cylinder engine. it runs like a champ. 38mpg on a recent east coast highway trip. simple dealer 10k oci using robust euro spec vw502 oil.

Also most people sell or trade cars in six years or less anyway, i'm an outlier.

More like 11 years ...

Going to post this in here rather than making a new thread. Please excuse my ignorance, but can I go to a VW dealership and ask them for the oil and filter to do the change myself? I'm getting mudflaps installed at a shop and they let customers bring their own oil for changes. I'm really glad I looked here because I bought a GLI in April and the owner's manual came with a Castrol Edge Professional slip. It also looks like Castrol Edge Professional is not found in the states. I was going to use the Castrol Edge Extended Performance thinking it is the closest thing to Edge Professional but now it looks like VW switched to Mobil 1?

Back