Brand new VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo..oil - Confusion Abounds

Oil temps should be in the 210-225 range most of the time on the EA888 engines and will vary with weather/temps and engine load. My 1.8 (it's the same for this purpose) sits at 219 most of the time but in the summer I will see up to 225 and in the winter down in the 210-214 range. People that change their oil and immediately jump on forums/FB pages to report lower oil temps by 10 degrees are full of $hit IMHO. I never see any change that would be appreciable from oil change to oil change and l log/look at my data constantly. Folks don't understand objective data collection and see what they want to see. I remember reading a FB post from a guy that said his oil temps dropped 10 deg when switching to Liquimoly 5W40 from dealer oil...it's just not happening.

Last edited:
My 1.4 EA211 runs at around 180F with casual driving and low boost. Up on the Highway at 70 mph its runs about 210F.

Note that when I cruise I'm always back pedaling to find the highest vacuum and best F.E.

I don't have a MAP visual gauge. - ( or its locked out by software for the base model )

I didnt record temps in a journal, but , my engine ran HOTTER with 40 grade oil v. 20 grade.

Which is as expected. - More shear energy converted to heat in the fluid.

-Ken

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
My 1.4 EA211 runs at around 180F with casual driving and low boost. Up on the Highway at 70 mph its runs about 210F.

Note that when I cruise I'm always back pedaling to find the highest vacuum and best F.E.

I don't have a MAP visual gauge. - ( or its locked out by software for the base model )

I didnt record temps in a journal, but , my engine ran HOTTER with 40 grade oil v. 20 grade.

Which is as expected. - More shear energy converted to heat in the fluid.

-Ken

You can "unluck" that oil temp gauge in your MFD using VCDS/OBDEleven. What temps did you see with the 40 vs. 20? The engine coolant temps never change in my car...ever. Is this based on the analog temp gauge?

I didn't keep a journal but it seemed like the sump was getting hotter faster on short jaunts AND was running hotter; usually over 205 where it would be usually 180. And Ambient temps were going down as we were entering Winter up North.

This is on the EA211 tsi VW Motor.

I'm not going to fret about a couple degrees this way or that, particularly
if fuel mileage is good and power and torque are good. and noise is acceptable

Then I don't care. If all is the same between two oils and one runs cooler,

I would likely run the cooler running oil again - if its not cost prohibitive..

This is what the run in that 2019 2.0T in Germany. Obviously VW USA feels that the 0w20 is good enough for the mostly mundane use the engine will see in the USA.
The engine is not viscosity specific eg xw20, xw30, etc. I would run spec while under warranty then ESP 5w30, I run it in a R spec Beetle 2.0T and it runs perfect on it.

[Linked Image]

49.gif

I didn't keep a journal but it seemed like the sump was getting hotter faster on short jaunts AND was running hotter; usually over 205 where it would be usually 180. And Ambient temps were going down as we were entering Winter up North.

Yes, but if you don't have the oil temp displayed, where are you getting your readings/data? The gauges on the dash are dummy gauges as I understand it.

Again, you either trust the engineering or you don't.

If the car is driven like most daily drivers, 20 grade oil is 100% acceptable. If you actually use the car on back road jaunts for extended periods and/or track the car, I would move into a 504 oil. Apart from that, it's serious overthinking.

Originally Posted by edyvw
I keep telling people that 0W20 is strictly CAFE driven. IN EU emissions are calculated differently, hence ability of VW to keep heavier oils in use.

Agree 100% on the other hand if the engine is specifically engineered for lighter oils which they can be I see no problem with it, this particular engine is not.

Originally Posted by Trav
I keep telling people that 0W20 is strictly CAFE driven. IN EU emissions are calculated differently, hence ability of VW to keep heavier oils in use.

Agree 100% on the other hand if the engine is specifically engineered for lighter oils which they can be I see no problem with it, this particular engine is not.

The B cycle engines that call for 508 are of course designed to use it. They use variable displacement oil pumps (among other things) whereas the earlier engines do not.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells

The B cycle engines that call for 508 are of course designed to use it. They use variable displacement oil pumps (among other things) whereas the earlier engines do not.

So do I have a B cycle engine?

Originally Posted by Zack1978

So do I have a B cycle engine?

No you don't.

Of course, but EA888 is designed around heavy oils. Also, even BMW B generation oils are specd. for LL01 and LL17.

Originally Posted by TiGeo

Yes, but if you don't have the oil temp displayed, where are you getting your readings/data? The gauges on the dash are dummy gauges as I understand it.

Yes I do. In the Centre Info display, you have a menu Choice to scroll though in Vehicle driving Data. It's a 3-digit readout from the ECU.
My only Analogue engine condition gauge is: Hot circuit coolant Temp.

But I don't track sump temps in a journal, just casual observations.

Last edited:

If the car is driven like most daily drivers, 20 grade oil is 100% acceptable. If you actually use the car on back road jaunts for extended periods and/or track the car, I would move into a 504 oil. Apart from that, it's serious overthinking.

You can use your senses related to your driving style.
508 to 504 is too big a jump - you leapfrogged over the middle ground.

The Logical jump is to a ILSAC GF6 5W30.

As the 0W20 is a low ash, low HTHS oil, VERY similar to an M1 EP 0W20

Except EA888 is designed around VW504.00 so it is fine.

So what exactly, in VW approved oils, is the middle ground?

No you don't.

Edy do you purposefully say wrong things? Because you do it all the time. The 2019 GLI absolutely does have a B cycle engine.

No you don't.

Edy do you purposefully say wrong things? Because you do it all the time. The 2019 GLI absolutely does have a B cycle engine.

The 2019 GLI has the same 2.0 as in the GTI - not a Budak cycle like the Tiguan.

Except EA888 is designed around VW504.00 so it is fine.

My 1.8 EA888 is designed around the VW502 00. No mention of 504 in the manual on my 2018 for this engine.

Originally Posted by TiGeo

No you don't.

The 2019 GLI has the same 2.0 as in the GTI - not a Budak cycle like the Tiguan.

This stuff is so frigging confusing.

So in 2018 only Budacks in North America used 508 oils (Tiguan and A3). Apparently that changed in 2019, when they switched almost all engines to 508. I just assumed they were Budack engines.

So my apologies Edy, I was wrong on this one. We still don't know if they actually made any changes to the non-Budack engines for that oil though.

Back