Brand new VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo..oil - Confusion Abounds

Originally Posted by kschachn
I'm confused about the confusion. VW publishes a required approval in the owner's manual, so you buy an oil that has the approval.

What exactly is confusing about that?

My thoughts exactly.

Everyone is so eager to jump in on conspiracy theories and "thought provoking ideas" that armchair engineers like to spew. This only muddies the water.

These, shall we say, "pleasure circles" increase dramatically among forums of European brands especially. It's beyond frustrating.

Originally Posted by Zack1978
I don't think for one second VW truly cares about one of their cars lasting a long time, planned obsolescence.

Then why support them?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RamFan
I'm confused about the confusion. VW publishes a required approval in the owner's manual, so you buy an oil that has the approval.

My thoughts exactly.

Everyone is so eager to jump in on conspiracy theories and "thought provoking ideas" that armchair engineers like to spew. This only muddies the water.

These, shall we say, "pleasure circles" increase dramatically among forums of European brands especially. It's beyond frustrating.

Yes I have noticed, perhaps I am starting to have some European car buyers remorse........
LOL I was vacillating between the GLI and a Camry or Avalon.

I don't think for one second VW truly cares about one of their cars lasting a long time, planned obsolescence.

And which manufacturer does?

If cars lasted forever, all the car manufacturers would go out of business.

Lucky for you, you avoided the risk of dying of boredom.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

smile.gif

LOL! The GLI is a ton of fun thus far! Now if I can only figure out how to totally disable the ridiculous hill hold control, I will be a happy camper!

smile.gif

LOL! The GLI is a ton of fun thus far! Now if I can only figure out how to totally disable the ridiculous hill hold control, I will be a happy camper!

I would have to research it but I imagine you can do it with OBDEleven or Vag-Com cable, if you want to invest in either of those. They are good things to have.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells

smile.gif

I would have to research it but I imagine you can do it with OBDEleven or Vag-Com cable, if you want to invest in either of those. They are good things to have.

I'm reasonably sure you can't completely disable it but can change the time.

Yeah that.

Leave it in there too... for 10,000 ish miles.

smile.gif

Time to tune it! I've had some fun with some local guys in their GLIs with tunes/downpipes/etc. Cool cars and quite fast with some software and bolt ons.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Originally Posted by wemay
Hahahahaha!

It only goes to show that some vehicles far outlast their design lifetime limits and I figure with some folks like you it may also boil down to timely/consistent maintenance. My last VW 1.8T Passat got to 280k miles before it grenaded the engine. I knew there was an issue in the motor VVT actuator but ignored it too long.

I really hope so. I can live with 280k.

I often drive my 3.6L V6 Wrangler in a semi-I-stole-it way, as far as accelerating through gears. Multiple redlines every drive. Specs 0w20 whatever oil. It's under warranty and has free oil changes for the duration of lease. On hot, humid days oil temp reaches and stays at 105-110 C, yet idle pressure stays stable, around 27 psi, whether oil is 100 or 110C, which is proof enough that 0w20 is not a mistake on engineers part.

If your VW specs 50X oil, then use it and RELAX. Imagine a roomful of VW engineers, and yourself at a podium, telling them the oil spec they have designated is wrong. Too funny

Last edited:
Originally Posted by TiGeo
No reason not to run the 508 0W20. A local v-dub guy here in our FB group/club tracks his GTI with...wait for it...0W20. He's a tech at a Subi dealer so figure he has some knowledge of such things. ....

I just gave a DARN GOOD reason a few boxes earlier.

What you mentioned is not a proper observation and corrective reaction.

smile.gif

I warned you!
smile.gif

I was Almost killed by that thing that stupid "feature" this past winter, and the Subaru version, but the old subaru was mechanical and you could predict it.

Since I have a warranty, I just do the terrible " slip the clutch" when trying to enter busy traffic.
OTW it will release about 2.5 seconds after releasing the brake

Worry more about the strut snapping wheel hop in light rain.

Messed up my front end, car steers like a mess. VW wont address.

- Ken

My 2019 Golf Alltrack 1.8T calls for 502 or 504 oil and I'm glad they didn't spec the new 0W20 oil for it. I bought a case of the new Mobil made 0W30 504 oil at my dealer and the parts guy was telling me his computer says my car specs 0W20. I told him no, the owners manual and the sticker in the engine bay says 502 or 504 spec oil.

I wouldn't trust the dealer to put the right spec oil and grade in my car. I remember VW dealers putting in bulk dino oil into customer cars 20 years ago and seizing engines.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
No reason not to run the 508 0W20. A local v-dub guy here in our FB group/club tracks his GTI with...wait for it...0W20. He's a tech at a Subi dealer so figure he has some knowledge of such things. ....

That it made noise on the thinner oil? His doesn't make noise. How do you rectify that? And I'd wager my next invoice that if you polled all 2019 2.0 VW owners that have engines that call for 0W20/508, that the vast majority will also report "normal" running conditions/sounds in their engine. Run what you want for sure.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

That it made noise on the thinner oil? His doesn't make noise. How do you rectify that? And I'd wager my next invoice that if you polled all 2019 2.0 VW owners that have engines that call for 0W20/508, that the vast majority will also report "normal" running conditions/sounds in their engine. Run what you want for sure.

Noise isn't indicative of anything anyway. It just means the oil dampens harmonics differently than another. My wife's Pentastar sounds like a sewing machine with every oil I have put in it except for QSUD and it runs just fine.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
ARCOgraphite said:
TiGeo said:

Noise isn't indicative of anything anyway. It just means the oil dampens harmonics differently than another. My wife's Pentastar sounds like a sewing machine with every oil I have put in it except for QSUD and it runs just fine.

I had mentioned noise and loss of power and general incorrect running.

and the Noise was loud clacking and knocking when hot .... not ticking..

Yes the Factory oil was fine till it gets real hot. The incorrect 5W40 the VW dealers installed was way too viscous.

As I stated, a bit of 0w40 added to the sump of MOTUL 508 fixed the operation.

It had burned off 1/2 litre in 1K miles.

There has been a lively "poll" on a GLI FB page related to operating oil temperature while running the 508 0W20 oil. The general response was that the cars seem to be running an oil temperature of between 220 and 225, with easy highway driving....no crazy boost up hills, etc. My car is usually always at 225, when fully warmed up.
One person the was active in the discussion did switch to a 5w40 oil (against VW recommendations) and noted that his oil temps were in he 210 range. How important is oil temp in this case?

There has been a lively "poll" on a GLI FB page related to operating oil temperature while running the 508 0W20 oil. The general response was that the cars seem to be running an oil temperature of between 220 and 225, with easy highway driving....no crazy boost up hills, etc. My car is usually always at 225, when fully warmed up.
One person the was active in the discussion did switch to a 5w40 oil (against VW recommendations) and noted that his oil temps were in he 210 range. How important is oil temp in this case?

That oil temperature is not big deal. That oil temperature discrepancy could also happen even if same grade but different oil.
I personally would never run 0W20 in that engine, but that is me.

Assuming you're referencing the Multi Function Screen in the dash to view oil temps. In my 2.0T Passat, the temps have remained the same since switching to 5W-40 from the 0W-20 508 spec, 203f - 207f. Rarely reaching 210f.

Back