Brand new tires just rotated for first time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can’t be the balance...I switched the fronts from wide side to the other and now the car is back to riding in a perfectly straight line. I guess I posed the question as both a comment and a question because I was not confident in what I know about this. So sorry for any misspoken words. As far as rotating from front to back on a front wheel drive car and NOT crossing them, will this create any issues? As I stated earlier, a shop a spoke to said you don’t have to and that the drive wheel will not wear faster than the others unless I’m drag racing it.

Originally Posted By: Mark72
Well, I called I different tire shop in town and got a 2nd opinion on this radial pull I have. They recommended if its slight to just cross the front tires......

That's a good diagnostic tool, but it should NOT be used to SOLVE a pull.

Originally Posted By: Mark72
........ AND, they also recommend rotating front to back even on front wheel drive cars and NOT crossing them. They said that even there the front pass wheel is the pull-wheel, the tire will not wear any faster than the others unless you are drag racing the stupid thing so they only rotate fronts to back. I went in and had the front wheels crossed and instantly when I drove out the alignment was back to perfect again. Do you agree with their methodology of rotating front to back?

I thoroughly disagree.

First, swapping the front tires should have told them (and you) that there are 2 problems: Part tires, part vehicle. It is understandable that they want you to be satisfied with the immediate result so you'll leave their shop and not come back.

But there is going to be a long term affect due to the vehicle alignment. No, the alignment is NOT perfect. It is compensating in the opposite direction for the tires. The net effect is no pull, but the alignment is going to cause a wear issue.

In order to truly fix the problem, both the alignment needs to be fixed and the tires replaced. Needless to say, this is going to cost money as the tires are long out of warranty coverage, so you'll have to buy new ones. Plus the cost of the alignment.

If you don't want to spend money, then do what the shop suggests - rotate front to rear without crossing. Just be aware that the problems are still there and the next set of tires will likely be different and you'll need to get an alignment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back