Brand loyalty

My wife's family are Ford loyalist, they buy mostly Ford. My wife is a Subaru loyalist. My sister and her SO are Tesla loyalist. I however are loyal to no brand. From my point of view, brands are not like family or friends but are corporation that make money by selling me stuff. If they make good stuff and I buy it, it benefits both of us. However, if they make bad stuff, I feel no obligation to be loyal and keep buying it. Corporate after all are all about their bottom life. They only have good customer service because if they don't people will stop buying their products. If a brand was terrible in the past, I will avoid them but give them a chance if they improve. If a brand is great, they have to maintain that greatness of me to continue buying if there are competitive. In my opinion, this is good for the ecosystem overall since it will result in great product which benefits everyone. This is why I think brand loyalty doesn't make sense. I appeared to be in the minority though.

Paul

I would say I'm more "car loyal". There are certain cars I like from different brands, but it doesn't mean I like everything that particular brand makes, or that this brand is better than another brand. I personally think all brands have a few garbage cars they make, and some decent ones.

I am not really brand loyal when it comes to cars. Quite the opposite. I typically buy something different each time - usually on purpose. Life is short, so I like to experience as many different cars/brands as I can. It's like ice cream flavors - even though you know that chocolate and vanilla are good, why would you not try all the other varieties out there?
smile.gif

I wouldn't call it loyalty, but I have a GM Card so that tends to make that a preferred maker for me. As you can see from the signature, I've bought from other makers but there has always been a GM vehicle in my fleet.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
I would say I'm more "car loyal". There are certain cars I like from different brands, but it doesn't mean I like everything that particular brand makes, or that this brand is better than another brand. I personally think all brands have a few garbage cars they make, and some decent ones.

That's basically my attitude as well; I will say that there are several brands that do not make a single vehicle I would own- Buick, GMC, and Lincoln off the top of my head, There are several that only make one car I'd consider; Chevrolet, Ford, Honda, and Toyota to name a few. I tend to gravitate towards BMWs, Minis,and Wranglers because I'm extremely familiar with them and I know where the bodies are buried. That said, on my hunt to replace the 2er I've looked at the Giulia TI Sport, Mustang Bullitt, and Stinger GTS.

I'm not especially brand loyal. I will buy the vehicle that I feel best meets my needs, at a price I can live with.
I've owned all the American brands. I have owned more Ford products than any other make. I have had bad vehicles with all three. In my experience, Ford is the only manufacturer that stood up to make things right (including even once, post warranty.)
In regard to foreign makes, I have owned more Hondas than anything else. Not because I am a Honda fanboy, but because I have had better luck dealing withHonda dealers from the purchasing side of things.
However at the end of the day, it comes down to 1) the vehicle and 2) price. If both come together, that's what I drive off in.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
I'm loyal to cars that are loyal to their owners
crazy2.gif

That's funny
lol.gif

And makes sense.

I have owned GM (Chevy, GMC, Saturn, Olds), Ford, Mazda, Toyota, Hyundai, Kia, Dodge, Scion and VW.
Not brand loyal per se, but there are brands I like more than others, but that goes to styling and features, not brand itself.
No brand off hand I would not buy, but there are particular models I would not buy due to known issues.

GM all the way, have good luck with all my GM vehicles, Pontiac,Chevy, Buick and GMC, oh and Saturn.

images.png

I tend to stick with Ford because that was what the family did, and looky where I work. That being said I would not turn down a Brand X product such as a Chevy SS, C8, or a C10. I an even planning on selling my soul and building a LS3/L92 abomination for my 95 Mustang.

I used to be brand loyal. With only a few exceptions, every car I owned from my youth were GM products. But then I got frustrated with GM. Working for an automotive supplier, for a long time I worked closely with GM as a customer. But it became clear that GM didn't hold their suppliers in very high regard. They treated suppliers very poorly. I started wondering, if they held their suppliers is such low regard, how did they feel about their customers. then the GM ignition switch fiasco came up. And it didn't take long to see that GM had no respect for the customer either. So I swore off GM. Sold my last one a couple years ago and, for now at least, have no intention of ever owning another GM product.

So now I am more loyal to myself when it comes to buying cars, than I am to any brand. I bought my Outback because if the high ratings of Subaru safety and the AWD performance. I bought my SL550 because it was fun!!! Super fun. And I bought my E350 because I like it, and it is one of the most reliable cars in it's class. Did I mention that the SL550 was fun?

With exceptions, cars are better quality today than they have ever been. Things have changed. With proper maintenance, most any car can go a quarter million miles. So why spend your life saddled to the same style of interiors, and same engines and transmissions that one company uses for most of their cars, when there are so many options available. Life is too short. Have fun with cars.

I guess if you are one who thinks of cars as nothing more than a utility, then it doesn't matter what you drive. If that is the case, then buy all Ford. Or buy all Toyota.

When I get ready for my next car, I'll pick what is best for me. It may be another Mercedes or Subaru. But it may be something else.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
I've owned more GM vehicles than any other
Mopar 2nd
Honda 3rd
Nissan & Toyota 4th
Mazda 5th
Never owned a Ford

1st. BMW
2nd. Ford
3rd. Nissan
4th.(One Each) Buick, Chevrolet, Jeep, Mazda, Mini, Mitsubishi, and Volvo
The Buick was my wife's car when we got married- at least it was a Skylark T-Type. I might buy another Jeep, Mazda or Mini- and I'd at least consider a Chevrolet(Camaro 2SS 1LE), a Ford(Mustang GT PP), or a Nissan(370Z). No Buick has interested me since the GNX and I scratched Volvo off the list when they decided to placate the Safety Nazis with the moronic 112 mph speed limiter.

On my 4th Honda product which never let me down. Also seems like anyone competent can repair them including my $65/hr mechanic.

My wife Jumps from Honda to Subaru to VW all good luck this far but VW only has 60k.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071

X2, I am "loyal" to particular platforms that work well for me. I don't care so much about the brand. For example, I'd buy a Mazda Navajo or 94-08 US market B-Series before I'd buy any current Ford.

Buddy built one truly awesome 1963 F100 … but the rumpity rumpity rumpity signaled B&B SBC

Not super brand loyal here. Started with a Toyota, then a couple Chryslers, then a few Fords. But now I'm on a couple Mercedes. I think going forward I'm going to stick to Mercedes as I kinda know it now and I like how they do a few things like their parts lookup and their repair manuals which are easy to get online for under $10. Oh and the Mercedes has been fun to drive and lots of options, Also doing some of the repairs, sometimes I think they're well engineered and then sometimes not.

Back