Brand loyalty vs whatever is on sale = vote

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been shying away from brand loyalty as I learn about the difference in oils and the add packs , and have been trialing other oils by warren and looking for cost savings measures in my small fleet anymore

I was a QSUD & QSGB guy for a long time but with my trials I am finding there are GREAT OILS , but when I can get Proline for 2.80 for syn and conv for 1.80 , makes sense to at least try them
11.gif

now a day ? I aint brand loyal. But when a corporation bother going certified for cars (Sn)and truck(Cj-4 Plus get various acea creds plus the approval of various maker wich as anong them one of the most well reguarded in the industry by truck driver(Detroit diesel)When a brand go to llison and is told :Nope this aint gona cut it for us to accept you for OUR YELLOW TEST. Im sorry but i cant just ignore those elitist. The way i see it?All gets to prove it . They dont bide those test when you are certified . You know your product is above the rest and you prooved it. The least i can do is let other see . Is it brnd loyalty ? A bit. But make no mistake . If fram came out with product that has the pedigree some brand have? I would be a loyal fram man

Since my last post, the cars in my family have changed, and I have changed the way I buy oil.

Lancer Ralliart: Castrol black edge 0w40
Honda CRV: Castrol black edge 0w20

I like having bottles that look the same where I store my automotive chemicals.

I also serve some friends cars:
Castrol black edge 0w40 for a 2004 non-turbo Chrylser PT cruiser. That has lowered oil consumption, and as an added bonus I have a little to spare for my car.
Castrol black edge 0w20 1997 Ford F-150. This was a mechanics special and a low mileage 2004 engine was swapped in.

Having the same bran 0w20 and 0w40 makes it easy for me to manage bottles that are partially empty.

For my dad's Pontiac G6, things are different. We tried various oils in it to lower noise, and Valvoline works best there.

Currently I'm somewhat brand loyal. Currently Pennzoil and Mobil 1 products are in my stash, eventually it will probably be all Pennzoil.

With my own car and friends with high performance applications, brand loyal.
For appliance cars and budget minded people, whatever is on sale.

Sopus products are my go to oil in most cases. But a good sale can sway me for some of my applications. Valvoline only when I have no other choice.

Im brand loyal but the brand tends to bounce around I used Pennzoil for a few years but now Im on a Mobil kick. Im loyal on OEM filters too.

Brand loyal to NOTHING. Autos, pickups, firearms, oil. Doesn't matter. What works best for my needs at the best value. I use 5 different brands of oil, lube, grease, etc.

Loyal to Pennzoil Ultra for my truck and Pennzoil Platinum for her car. If I had a beater that I did not have payments on as a 3rd vehicle I would pick the cheapest name brand. I have run super tech in a few cars at one point in time

...and a 6.5 YO thread returns from the dead.
Brand means little in oil choice.
Specs and certs matter.
Now, some oils seem better in some applications than others.
But you'd never know that unless you tried a variety of oils.
I'm more loyal to my wallet than to any brand of oil.

Before finding this site I used only Castrol. I have went through many different brand fads over the past 5 years. Mobil, Valvoline, Havoline. But I always come back to Castrol. Why? Because it is what my Dad uses and has always used. It's stuck with me.

When the Dealership oil change package runs out I will go back to Castrol again.

If it meets the specs, your engine doesn't know the difference. It comes down to our obsessive compulsiveness being oil nerds that we put so much thought into it, lol

I only use Mobile 1 EP in our family vehicles. Have only use Mobile synthetic for the past 15 years. I use PYB in the lawn mowers.

Pennzoil Ultra my 2015 Expedition and 2015 Escape
Royal Purple HPS in two Mazda2's - one is a rally sport car
Just switched from K&N filters to Fram Ultra

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back