Brakes for 2015 Honda Odyssey

Pads are getting near replacement. Rotors seem to be ok. Thinking about taking them up to O’Reillys to get them turned. But not sure what brake pads to go with. Had carquest on a old van and they never felt right so no go on those. Any input would be great.

Nothing wrong with the Raybestos E3 someone else already suggested. Good price/performance ratio.

Another good choice is EBC Ultimax2 "Blackstuff" pads and Powerstop Geomet coated rotors. The popular Akebono pads are also great for a daily driver with no noise and no dust :)

The cost of turning the rotors is about the same as replacing them, and much less time and labor by just replacing them.

I’ve found raybestos EHT / element3 pads more forgiving for a pad slap than akebono. the raybestos pads have slightly more dust but seem less picky to bed-in and avoiding pulsation than the ake’s, in my experience. That said, akebono pads have worked well in our honda products, but not as well for toyota, volvo, and jeep.

The cost of turning the rotors is about the same as replacing them, and much less time and labor by just replacing them.
Not sure where you're buying rotors or having rotors turned but it's definitely cheaper to turn most. O'Reilly charges $15 per rotor and you ain't buying a rotor for that price. I don't turn them because a) you have to stop the brake job and wait a couple of hours while they turn them and b) you could end up taking them, they tell you they're too thin to turn (I suppose you could measure them yourself before), then you have to buy rotors locally and pay a LOT more or leave the vehicle until replacement rotors arrive.

I wouldn't turn a rotor on any 'heavy' Honda vehicle. Maybe on the Civic/HRV/CRV you'd be ok, but the Accord-based platforms are notorious for being under-braked and hard on rotors. If they don't shake now, pad slap and roll. If they do, replace the rotor.

Personally, I'm a fan of Centric 300. series pads. They aren't the cleanest, but they hit my 'feel' criteria of having a good initial bite and smooth friction all the way to lock-up.

If you're up for driving a little bit (or paying for shipping), call these places for Silent Stop pads and rotors. (Federated parts stores). I've had nothing but 100% satisfaction on installing them across a wide range of vehicles, including my own. Plus they always have things in stock.

1661084761185.jpg

I wouldn't turn a rotor on any 'heavy' Honda vehicle. Maybe on the Civic/HRV/CRV you'd be ok, but the Accord-based platforms are notorious for being under-braked and hard on rotors. If they don't shake now, pad slap and roll. If they do, replace the rotor.

Personally, I'm a fan of Centric 300. series pads. They aren't the cleanest, but they hit my 'feel' criteria of having a good initial bite and smooth friction all the way to lock-up.
I have new rotors on Pilot from dealership, installed in dealership, with 5000 miles that do precisely that.
Junk.

This is a timely post. I was looking at the pads on my wife’s 14 odyssey, which are original and very smooth at 70k-something miles with lots of local driving.

The rears have worn faster than the fronts. I’d suspect that I’ll change all around when I do it. Almost tempted to risk a pad slap on the rears though…

I’ll be watching this thread….

@JHZR2 - my son’s ‘18 civic shows strong rotor wear in the rear, yet smooth as glass on the front. It’s a considerable difference. About 55k miles. Our ‘15 crv has 75k on factory brakes - I don’t think Ive ever had factory brakes go this far.

@JHZR2 - my son’s ‘18 civic shows strong rotor wear in the rear, yet smooth as glass on the front. It’s a considerable difference. About 55k miles. Our ‘15 crv has 75k on factory brakes - I don’t think Ive ever had factory brakes go this far.
Just to be clear, rotors look good front and back. Pads on rear are more worn than those on the front.

I also really like the Raybestos EHT pads.
Do you rotors have the extra vents in the rotor hat, there were issues with Honda rotors on Odysseys in that timeframe, first design had no extra vents, second design had vents. If an when you change rotors be sure to make sure you get the extra vented ones.

I believe the rear sliders get sticky more so than the front, which adds to the rear wear.
Also the stability control kicks in the rear brakes and add to the read wear.
I had some issues with the RR sliders on my Odyssey

FWIW - In my non Odyssey experience Honda / Acura pad kits are not very expensive and come with shims and such, if you’re happy with the oe performance no reason not to just use Honda.

Back