Brake pad recommendations

Honestly they have more initial cold bite than all the other pads I have had on there... And they slow down my car much better at higher speeds above one hundred plus mile an hour...

The duralast gt pads were decent... But not has good as the Akebono GG rated pads.

The platinum FF rated brake pads from AAP are ok... Likely very close to OE replacement to be fair. Solid performing. But not has good cold or hot like the Akebono street performance pads.

The OEM pads which were on the car when I got it were ok like the AAP platinum pads.

EBC Yellow pad is track/street. Not best pad when it is very cold outside, and they need some 100-150f to work properly.
They will eat regular rotor. EBC has sport line of rotors that compliment those pads, but they go upward of $400 for average vehicle.

Very Good point... Eating rotors get expensive at times.

Honestly they have more initial cold bite than all the other pads I have had on there... And they slow down my car much better at higher speeds above one hundred plus mile an hour...

The duralast gt pads were decent... But not has good as the Akebono GG rated pads.

The platinum FF rated brake pads from AAP are ok... Likely very close to OE replacement to be fair. Solid performing. But not has good cold or hot like the Akebono street performance pads.

The OEM pads which were on the car when I got it were ok like the AAP platinum pads.
The thing about ratings is that you have to consider context. I am giving you example of top notch manufacturers. Personally, I would never buy Duralast etc. Now, when you talk about TMD (Textar), ATE, Hawk, Brembo, Akebono, etc. those are top tier manufacturers.
GG rated Akebono are designed with one thing in mind: delivering brake performance at relatively high temperatures. However, you did not pay for your Akebono's $612 like that BMW has on (probably ATE). Reason is that BMW M needs very high torque pad that delivers much more brake force immediately. Compound used in Akebono Pro ACT etc. cannot deliver that. Plus, average driver of Altima, Sienna etc. does not want wheels to look like they have been in coal mine.
The compound used in these FF rated pads (let's talk regular pads like on my BMW) offers much more torque than anything Akebono GG (I had them on VW CC). That allows me to use brake less, allows more force to be utilized in less time, hence keeping temperatures low. Allows better feel and adjustment etc. unlike Akebono that are compared to Textar, ATE, Pagid very soft and require more travel etc.
So GG rated Akebono ProAct or whatever will deliver decent force at low and high temperatures. FF rated pads (I am talking top tier manufacturers, which Akebono is) will deliver more force, will allow more adjustment, etc. They will maybe be less capable at 800f than at 200, but they will still deliver a lot of force. But more importantly, bcs of force, I might not at all get to 800f, hence I will strain pads less, rotors, fluid.
Now, take this into consideration. Akebono makes for Toyota GG rated ceramic pads for Sienna, for Lexus with F-Sport packages, IS F models, it makes FF rated pads.
So, chasing performance based on ratings is really wrong way of doing it.

The thing about ratings is that you have to consider context. I am giving you example of top notch manufacturers. Personally, I would never buy Duralast etc. Now, when you talk about TMD (Textar), ATE, Hawk, Brembo, Akebono, etc. those are top tier manufacturers.
GG rated Akebono are designed with one thing in mind: delivering brake performance at relatively high temperatures. However, you did not pay for your Akebono's $612 like that BMW has on (probably ATE). Reason is that BMW M needs very high torque pad that delivers much more brake force immediately. Compound used in Akebono Pro ACT etc. cannot deliver that. Plus, average driver of Altima, Sienna etc. does not want wheels to look like they have been in coal mine.
The compound used in these FF rated pads (let's talk regular pads like on my BMW) offers much more torque than anything Akebono GG (I had them on VW CC). That allows me to use brake less, allows more force to be utilized in less time, hence keeping temperatures low. Allows better feel and adjustment etc. unlike Akebono that are compared to Textar, ATE, Pagid very soft and require more travel etc.
So GG rated Akebono ProAct or whatever will deliver decent force at low and high temperatures. FF rated pads (I am talking top tier manufacturers, which Akebono is) will deliver more force, will allow more adjustment, etc. They will maybe be less capable at 800f than at 200, but they will still deliver a lot of force.
Now, take this into consideration. Akebono makes for Toyota GG rated ceramic pads for Sienna, for Lexus with F-Sport packages, IS F models, it makes FF rated pads.
So, chasing performance based on ratings is really wrong way of doing it.

Look...

Not everyone is so bourgeoise as you are...

And I don't care about what magical"performance" the magical BMW supposedly has or needs. ..

I do care or notice what I have run... And I do pay a lot of attention to things and being observant.

Like I have stated already....

It is not a one size fits all circumstance...

What may be perfect or really good for one application may not for another... And vice versa...

And GG rated pads can be really great or may not be what they should be be in a different application. .and of the FF rated brake pads work in a different application very, very well... Nothing wrong with that either.

Look...

Not everyone is so bourgeoise as you are...

And I don't care about what magical"performance" the magical BMW supposedly has or needs. ..

I do care or notice what I have run... And I do pay a lot of attention to things and being observant.

Like I have stated already....

It is not a one size fits all circumstance...

What may be perfect or really good for one application may not for another... And vice versa...

And GG rated pads can be really great or may not be what they should be be in a different application. .and of the FF rated brake pads work in a different application very, very well... Nothing wrong with that either.
I am not sure what you mean by this, Akebono pads for my BMW are more expensive than ATE actually which are OE supplier.
AK GG: designed for soccer moms having love affair with brake pedal.
AK FF: designed for performance vehicles.

You know exactly what I mean by that....

A vast, vast majority of people in this country... Don't live like that or can buy vehicles like that aka BMWs etc etc ...

Though just yesterday at the bp gas station off Rte 5 I saw a guy pull up in a candy apple red Ferrari... Don't see many of them around... In my area which has a lot of big money people living in and around... You still don't hardly see vehicles like that...

Though BMWs and Lexus are quite common in my area. But in the vast majority of areas I drive in Virginia those type vehicles are no where near as common... Not even close to as common as I see them in my area in James City county... The real world... Like where I grew up... No where near the same vehicles on the road there vs where I am at now.

and you can take your foolish little ak etc etc and go on with that....... Don't mean nothing...

Again for the 3rd time....

What can work in one circumstance or application... Could be totally fine. And it be a totally different situation with another vehicle application...

Those ratings can matter.

Though it can be the case where there are times where that does not hold true either. Which is a valid point to a DEGREE...

Last edited:
You know exactly what I mean by that....

A vast, vast majority of people in this country... Don't live or can buy vehicles like that....

and you can take your foolish little ak etc etc and go on with that....... Don't mean nothing...

Again for the 3rd time....

What can work in one circumstance or application... Could be totally fine. And it be a totally different situation with another vehicle application...

Those ratings can matter.

Though it can be the case where there are times where that does not hold true either. Which is a valid point to a DEGREE...
LOL. Yeah, you got lost in this.

And again.. you know exactly what I mean...

You and your buddies... Live in a different way than a vast majority of people in this country live like....

Take your BMW talk and go with it....

It is not applicable to a vast majority of the people in this country...

Get some self awareness...

Having said that...
I know what I see around me and my area... Is not representative of the vast majority of people in the state I live in... It's not.

Going back to the topic at hand...

What works in one application is great.

Something else different can work in a different application.

The products can legitimately meet what they claim or not meet the performance they claim.

It is not a one size fits all.

And again.. you know exactly what I mean...

You and your buddies... Live in a different way than a vast majority of people in this country live like....

Take your BMW talk and go with it....

It is not applicable to a vast majority of the people in this country...

Get some self awareness...

Having said that...
I know what I see around me and my area... Is not representative of the vast majority of people in the state I live in... It's not.

Going back to the topic at hand...

What works in one application is great.

Something else different can work in a different application.
Well what can I say, my buddies and I obviously figured it out.

Yeah... Figured out how to rig the system for your own advantage...

I don't care what you and your BMW bourgeoise buddies do...

But that does not make it applicable to the vast majority of people in this country.

Neither does it make it so where I am at either.. .

My area is very different vs everywhere else I go around me.

A vast majority of people in the regular world are not able to spend $700-$1000 dollars for a single brake job on their vehicles...

Last edited:
Yeah... Figured out how to rig the system for your own advantage...

I don't care what you and your BMW bourgeoise buddies do...

But that does not make it applicable to the vast majority of people in this country.

Neither does it make it so where I am at either.. .

My area is very different vs everywhere else I go around me.
I do not think Akebono GG are the biggest problem here. But that is just me.

No.

But you conceptualize everything from that perspective.... Ohh let me bring up BMW applications... Like they are so super common... Guess what?

They are not...

In my area they are much more commonly in use and seen. But that is far, far from representative of the vast majority of places and people outside my area.

Going back to the topic... If whatever works on the magical high end vehicles.. and it's really good. Good. That is fine.

But that does not apply to every other vehicle. And vice versa.

Even within regular vehicles... What may work with one application may not work in another.

And like you said... And it is true... The ratings on the pads may or may not be legitimate. And lower rates does not mean that they cannot be awesome... They certainly can be. No doubt about that.

Last edited:
No.

But you conceptualize everything from that perspective.... Ohh let me bring up BMW applications... Like they are so super common... Guess what?

They are not...

In my area they are much more commonly in use and seen. But that is far, far from representative of the vast majority of places and people outside my area.

Going back to the topic... If whatever works on the magical high end vehicles.. and it's really good. Good. That is fine.

But that does not apply to every other vehicle. And vice versa.

Even within regular vehicles... What may work with one application may not work in another.
I gave you example of regular vehicles. I tried to give you examples. Next time I will try drawing.

Those are not "regular vehicles"....

Aka vehicles that are totally common on the roads outside your area or candidly my area...

Let's take a percentage of vehicles like your magic BMWs say vs the percentage of vehicles like a Toyota... The vast majority of people are actually going to own and drive every day Toyotas... Not BMWs...

Again... Your high end BMWs are so fancy...

Nothing wrong with that...

But it's not what a high percentage of people in this country actually can afford or drive..

In my home county it was rather unusual to see a BMW, Mercedes, Lexus or anything above those vehicles... And it was that way in a whole lot of places in and across this state in Va.

Last edited:
Those are not "regular vehicles"....

Aka vehicles that are totally common on the roads outside your area or candidly my area...

Let's take a percentage of vehicles like your magic BMWs say vs the percentage of vehicles like a Toyota... The vast majority of people are actually going to own and drive every day Toyotas... Not BMWs...

Again... Your high end BMWs are so fancy...

Nothing wrong with that...

But it's not what a high percentage of people in this country actually can afford or drive.
And that has nothing to do with GG or FF ratings. But, I am glad I could help you to vent out whatever bothered you.

You made it a part of it... Bringing in the higher end vehicles...

I did not do that... You did...

You wanted to have a discussion... Well... We had it. Nothing wrong with that.

Seriously... What you are around routinely... Is not representative of the vast majority of people in this country. . And what I see routinely... Is not representative of the vast majority of people in this country...

It's not. . .

And you know full well... That on average higher end vehicles have better braking systems, better safety vs regular routine vehicles... It may not be as big a gap maybe as it once was... But it is still there. . .

And oddly enough all I have to do is drive 10 miles west on Rte 5 and I can see one of the poorest counties in the state of Virginia... Charles City county... Gives me perspective...

Like you said though... And it is a very valid point... The ratings are not the end all be all. It's the application and real performance that ultimately matters.

I do believe that finding a legitimate GG rated brake pad that actually performs like it should is a very good deal. If that can be found and it actually do what it supposed to do... Then the rating has merit to a degree.

Though like you said... And I believe you are right in making that point... That there are extremely well made FF rated brake pads that are truly awesome in terms of performance. In higher end vehicles that utilize those type pads they are absolutely on point.

I believe that finding a combination that works in other everyday type applications is what matters. It may be this or that type etc.. etc...

Last edited:
Take the pads out that are in now. Clean the area good. Put the brake lube in the areas that require it, shims, pins, top and bottom of pads. Reinstall everything. Bleed the system. Test it.

Back