Brake pad recommendations

Some times it is a poor brake job that causes squeaking. Remove pad and sand off any glaze on the pads. Use a pad lube on the back side of the pad. Do several firm stops to seat the pads. Youtube has several videos on how to do brake pad changes. Ed

I just installed a new set of EBC Green stuff pads over the weekend on the front of my 95 and the difference was huge after the break in. I will never in my life by Wagner thermoquiet pads again. The closest description to the feeling would be the first time you hit the brakes after coming out of the car wash on a cold day.

No EBC for the rear so we just went with a set of the local parts house brand.

I'd make sure I had OEM Ford pads first. If not, I'd replace the pads with OEM from Ford Dealership.

If they are Ford OEM pads, do what Trav says next.

I just installed a new set of EBC Green stuff pads over the weekend on the front of my 95 and the difference was huge after the break in. I will never in my life by Wagner thermoquiet pads again. The closest description to the feeling would be the first time you hit the brakes after coming out of the car wash on a cold day.

Do you have rear discs or drums? If you have rear disc brakes, EBC does make rear pads for your 95 Pathfinder

I put Raybestos on my '03 Suburban about a year ago, they are wearing well, no noise, though they do dust up the front rims a bit. Raybestos has several different grades, all of which are pretty reasonably priced, IMO. I used the MGD line which were cross-referenced from the AC Delco numbers.

Not a truck but Kia Forte - recently replaced all rotors and pads with Raybestos Element3 and am very happy with their performance, appearance and price I paid at RA.

I've become a fan of Centric over the past decade or so. They have a few levels to choose from, all competitively priced. And if you read about them, for what it's worth, they seem like a good company.

Do you have rear discs or drums? If you have rear disc brakes, EBC does make rear pads for your 95 Pathfinder
I have disc, and I see now that they do list them on some US stores, but the places I looked at in Canada did not list them for some reason. Oh well, the brakes are already 1000 times better after bedding in the new pads. But good to know.

I would NOT recommend Raybestos EHT.

I have Raybestos EHT pads and rotors, front and rear on 3 different sedans.
Initially I was trilled with their performance - being GG vs the OEM being FF - what a bite...
The issue I have is all of the cars developed brake judder after less then 10k when not completely cold.
On the last one, 3 years old Mazda 3, I had enough and replaced the front EHT pads with Akebono ACT (FF) and the judder when down to very acceptable level (barely noticeable) and stayed like that for the 3k miles having them.

These days all the cars have very good brake assist, so I would prefer to stay away from very high friction offerings. Uneven material deposit, or promotion a hot spots, or whatever - it has been only headaces in my experience.

I would NOT recommend Raybestos EHT.

I have Raybestos EHT pads and rotors, front and rear on 3 different sedans.
Initially I was trilled with their performance - being GG vs the OEM being FF - what a bite...
The issue I have is all of the cars developed brake judder after less then 10k when not completely cold.
On the last one, 3 years old Mazda 3, I had enough and replaced the front EHT pads with Akebono ACT (FF) and the judder when down to very acceptable level (barely noticeable) and stayed like that for the 3k miles having them.

These days all the cars have very good brake assist, so I would prefer to stay away from very high friction offerings. Uneven material deposit, or promotion a hot spots, or whatever - it has been only headaces in my experience.

Does Akebono make the ASP pads for your Mazda? If so, you'll get Akebono quality with GG friction.

Also, GG =/= judder
The EBC Ultimax pads (GG) I used on a previous car had no judder. They were on the car for 15-20k before I go rid of the car.

Does Akebono make the ASP pads for your Mazda? If so, you'll get Akebono quality with GG friction.

Also, GG =/= judder
The EBC Ultimax pads (GG) I used on a previous car had no judder. They were on the car for 15-20k before I go rid of the car.
EBC Blue (track), Yellow (Track/street) and Red Stuff, performance pads are FF. So GG or FF ratings are not exact determinant of performance levels. Most track pads are FF.
Ferodo DS2500 racing pads are FF, but sure let's talk GG.
GG on street pad comes handy for soccer moms.

Off topic, but I miss my Pathfinder. Just got to be too much of a money pit after ~20-25k into it.

EBC Blue (track), Yellow (Track/street) and Red Stuff, performance pads are FF. So GG or FF ratings are not exact determinant of performance levels. Most track pads are FF.
Ferodo DS2500 racing pads are FF, but sure let's talk GG.
GG on street pad comes handy for soccer moms.

Can a manufacturer make a "really, really good/strong" FF rated brake pad... Absolutely.

However... Coefficient of friction means something and it actually matters. Has does resistance to fade at higher temps.

Could a very, very well made FF rated brake pad outperform a poorly made GG pad ? I would believe so.

But a legitimate really well made GG rated brake pad will actually be able to perform up to labeled standard.

Can a manufacturer make a "really, really good/strong" FF rated brake pad... Absolutely.

However... Coefficient of friction means something and it actually matters. Has does resistance to fade at higher temps.

Could a very, very well made FF rated brake pad outperform a poorly made GG pad ? I would believe so.

But a legitimate really well made GG rated brake pad will actually be able to perform up to labeled standard.
Yeah … those EBC yellows could stop … but rotors can be expensive on certain vehicles …
I used them one time and went to PowerStop on new rotors …

Racing pads are all about fade at higher temperatures.
Very well made FF outperform poorly made GG? Most performance cars have FF brake pads, not GG. I would argue my BMW 328 that has FF pads most certainly outperforms in every braking aspect my Toyota Sienna poorly executed brakes which coe with GG pads. Upgrade that I did on SIenna includes FF pads. So, if you consider Akebono pads poorly made (I actually do), than yes, maybe you are right.

If the ratings do not matter at all.... Then why have them to begin with ?? Again... You can use your common sense.. a poorly made GG rated brake pad can not be what it should be... Or be very poor in performance.

And a very good made FF rated brake pad can be better than the other aka a poorly made GG rated brake pad... This is true to a degree in what you have stated.

On average though aka a majority of the time... A very well made GG rated brake pad will outperform a FF rated brake pad.. .

But you are not going to tell me that the brake pads on my car that are GG rated made by Akebono ... Are not legit... Or in regards to other cars...

Now in your family vehicle aka Sienna they were very poor in that application/vehicle...

For my experience they are legit. And they perform better than any other pad I have used on the car I own... And I have had a number of other FF rated brake pads on that car.... Including the ones that were the gt high end brake pads from AZ...

I have said that if someone finds a combination that truly works very well with their vehicle... Then that is what they should go with... And again... That could well mean a certain brand of FF rated brake pads and a certain brand of rotors... Or GG rated brake pads and a different set of rotors... Whatever works best for a given application for that person and what they need... Is really what matters.

Your deal with that Sienna.... Is your deal... Not everyone else's...

Just like my deal with my car is not everyone else's either...

A number of different answers or combinations could well be best for someone else's application.

Last edited:
If the ratings do not matter at all.... Then why have them to begin with ?? Again... You can use your common sense.. a poorly made GG rated brake pad can not be what it should be... Or be very poor in performance.

And a very good made FF rated brake pad can be better than the other aka a poorly made GG rated brake pad... This is true to a degree in what you have stated.

On average though aka a majority of the time... A very well made GG rated brake pad will outperform a FF rated brake pad.. .

But you can go somewhere trying to tell me that the brake pads on my car that are GG rated made by Akebono ... Are not legit... Or in regards to other cars...

Now in your family vehicle aka Sienna they were very poor in that application/vehicle...

For my experience they are legit. And they perform better than any other pad I have used on the car I own... And I have had a number of other FF rated brake pads on that car.... Including the ones that were the gt high end brake pads from AZ...

Your deal with that Sienna.... Is your deal... Not everyone else's...
Please pay attention on ratings on the back:
BMW M3 (F80) OE ceramic pad:

But, tell me more about Akebono GG rated pads on Altima?

Yeah … those EBC yellows could stop … but rotors can be expensive on certain vehicles …
I used them one time and went to PowerStop on new rotors …
EBC Yellow pad is track/street. Not best pad when it is very cold outside, and they need some 100-150f to work properly.
They will eat regular rotor. EBC has sport line of rotors that compliment those pads, but they go upward of $400 for average vehicle.

Back