Brake pad question

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad has an 02 Chrysler Town and Country. He may need new brake pads soon. Should I go with the OEM Mopar pads or with Wagner Thermo quiets?

Last edited:
Check out bendix CQ and CT-3 as well. Wagners seem to be decent, Id use them with confidence also.

Hawk makes some excellent pads. I have used them for years. Check out their website for pads for his style of driving. FWIW

The reason I am asking about the thermo quiets is because I am looking for a pad I can get locally as soon as I pull his pads.

Get the best pads that you can afford, in anybody's line of products.
This is almost assuredly better than stock.
Better grip warm and hot, with less dust, are your rewards.

Can't go wrong with Thermoquiets from Wagner. I recently tried them on a Nissan Sentra and they are great. I am actually going to buy them for my Dakota once the OEM pads are done.

I just put on a pair of Raybestos Professional Grade ceramic pads. I like them a lot.

I don't think the Wagner pads are that good. Their unusual shim design is questionable.

I would go with a Raybestos Professional Grade or Advanced Technology product.

If you have a knowledgeable parts guy, he can tell you what the most rotor friendly pads are. That's what I would go with. You can get some high performance pads that are too hard and won't stop as well under normal driving conditions as others.

Rotor friendly pads will not grab as well when you need them.

Since the driver controls the wear by proper application, get the highest quality best grabbing pads that you can.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Rotor friendly pads will not grab as well when you need them.

Since the driver controls the wear by proper application, get the highest quality best grabbing pads that you can.
i 2nd that. you want a pad that good initial bite. i say prformance friction corbon metallic or their Z-RATED

I put autozone pdas on my 95 neone 4 years ago...[censored] are those noisey when its cold or siitting overnight. How about NAPA pads? I hear thier good.Ive heard excellent things about Mopar and HAWK pads.

my local speed shop stocks a lot of hawk part numbers. you might want to check there.

And as far as im concerned, I want the best brakes for the $$$$. never understood the cheep brake parts thing.

Originally Posted By: cousincletus
If you have a knowledgeable parts guy, he can tell you what the most rotor friendly pads are. That's what I would go with. You can get some high performance pads that are too hard and won't stop as well under normal driving conditions as others.

Why are you so concerned about rotor friendliness?

Rotors are inexpensive. You speak as though rotors are a sacred item that costs a ridiculous amount to replace.

Just did the brakes on a 03 saturn ion.

56k miles, car had original brakes. The back part of the rotors was slightly warped, causing a slight pulse. Not bad for nearly 7 year old brakes.

Brake linings were at 50 percent.

Bought everything from rockauto with the discount code. Ended up with wagner rotors (made in china), and Monroe ceramic pads (made in canada).

The ceramic pads were a very nice setup, all replacement tins and clips fit great, included some lubricant as well. EXCELLENT purchase, and they had a 15 dollar mail in rebate on them.

I think the pads will be 10 bucks after rebate.

Originally Posted By: ET16
I just put on a pair of Raybestos Professional Grade ceramic pads. I like them a lot.

I put a set of Raybestos Professional Grade semi-metallic pads and PG rotors on my Jeep, so far (about 6,000 miles) I'm very happy.

I pulled the original rotors off the car with 170K miles, they had never been removed or turned. How's that for rotor longevity?

just did brakes on my 2005 altima,
used the cheapest rotors and pads i could find,
bought from autozone mail order, 4 rotors and their cheapest pads, was $250 shipped to my door. They work fine.
Only thing I did extra was use CRC disk brake quiet orange goop on the back of the pads, and I also re-greased every slide pin on the calipers.

autozone didn't carry these pads in the store, they were only available online and asking the guy at the counter said they were not available. so you have to buy them online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back