Brake Fluid and Diff every 2 yrs - Overkill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my 2006 CR-V, Honda calls for brake fluid every 3 years, and Diff fluid every 90K/5yr (normal) and 60K/4yr (severe).

Now, I'm a change the brake fluid every 2 years kind of guy (want that solid pedal feel and clean juice in there). Plus, I've read online about CR-V dual-pump fluid pooping out early and causing a howl in the differential. Don't want that.

So, if I've got her on Jackstands to do the brake fluid, would it be overkill to do the diff fluid every 2 years, even if it's say, 30K miles MAX?

Thanks;
Matt

Go for it. Better early than late. I'll admit that I have no personal experience with this vehicle however. Unless you really baby your vehicle ALL the time when you drive, it won't hurt to change out any powertrain fluids before the oem says to.

Changing to often is sure better than not often enough. I flush my brake systems every two years. As for gear oils I go by UOA's to figure when to change them.

I change the brake fluid in my Ford Ranger every 45,000 miles, and the front & rear differential lube every 30,000 miles (it's already at the shop having the transmission flushed). I consider it good maintenance, not overkill. I also replace those "100,000 mile" Motorcraft platinum plugs at 60,000 miles.

I change the brake fluid out every third oil change just to be safe.

Diff fluid I don't hardly touch at all. I have seen diffs on a couple of old Fords with 200k on them and the same factory fill diff fluid. The gears were perfect and looked new.

Am am just getting ready to replace the pinion seal on my rear axle since it's had a very slow leak for the past 2 years (85K). Perhaps then i'll swap in some synthetic gear oil and be done with it for the next 5 years or so.

I hear you...in this case (CR-V) I have read about issues with fluid breakdown happening well before even the "severe service" interval.

Not sure how big of a deal it really is though.

I saw one crazy mo-fo on here changing his brake fluid every oil change (3000 miles). THAT'S overkill.
ufo.gif

Quote:

I saw one crazy mo-fo on here changing his brake fluid every oil change (3000 miles). THAT'S overkill.
ufo.gif

No, it's just 'cheap insurance'...

against getting dates, maybe
smile.gif

I don't think change every 2 years is overkill. I follow owner's manual and do turkey baster thing every year.

My 2000 CRVs dual pump oil failed at 30,000 miles. Just made a whining sound on tight turns (I often turn around at the intersection at the bottom of my street). When I took it to the dealer, they said that you should replace it every 30,000 miles. The owners manual says 90,000! I was a little ticked. Anyhow, it solved the whine and I changed the fluid out again at 60,000 miles myself. Interestingly, besides being a pain, the fluid looked brand new. The first time it looked burnt. I'll probably wait till 100,000 miles and change it again. If it still looks new, I don't think I will touch it again unless I hear the noise. By then I will probably have gotten rid of it anyway. Hope you love your CRV as much as I do mine. It has been great overall with few problems! Good luck!

ref

I have owned over 25 new vehicle's since 1966 and NEVER have I changed brake fluid in any of them or any vehicle for that matter. I drove gov't fleet vehicles for 30 yrs and that was never a maint. req. for any of our 50 million $$ fleet.

My diff's get changed to synthetic when new (even if they came with if, they get my preferred brand) and are rarely ever changed again. I have not gone over 100g miles on a vehicles in the last 20 yrs.

Last edited by a moderator:
2002 CRV calls for diff every 30k and trans every 30k and brake fluid flush with every reline or at least 60k. The trans are so easy to change that you don't even need to jack up the car. I do both every 10-15k

I have a small pump up power bleeder and bleed the brakes fluid on booth of my vehicals every 2 years and I have never had to replace a caliper or a frozen wheel cylinder yet. Brake fluid attracts water and if you leave it in to long you will have brake problems down the line. Plus the brake pedal always feels firm not spongy. Cheap insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back