Bought AutoRX: My Game Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I have a '95 Accent with 98K miles that has an oil consumption problem. The car has a history of abuse prior to my taking over the maintenance on it, and I've done a lot of research on AutoRX prior to deciding to purchase it.

Here is my game plan. Tell me if it is sound, or any tweaks that should be made.

[edit: the car manual oil recommendations run the gamut...5w30/5w40 for 100F and below...10w30/10w40/10w50 for -9F and warmer...20w40/20w50 for 32F and warmer]

I ran Motorcraft 5w20 in the car for the past 1000 miles as an experiment to see how the car would drive and how the fuel economy would be affected. The car runs well and fuel economy seems about the same as 10w30, but oil consumption seems to be up with the thinner oil.

Knowing that the AutoRX will be arriving probably early next week, I changed the oil last night to 10w40 Pennzoil. Since there was only 1000 miles on the PureOne oil filter and AutoRX wants a new filter when added, I put the PureOne back in for the few more days I'll be running the car before applying AutoRX.

When the AutoRX arrives, I'll put a new (oversize) filter in, add the AutoRX and top off with Penn 10w40 if needed.

After 750-1000 miles, replace oil and filter with more Penn 10w40 and another oversize filter. Drive 1500 miles, then add another bottle of AutoRX. Drive 750-1000 miles, change oil and filter.

After the two applications are complete, I'll keep an eye on oil consumption and if it improves, try moving back to 10w30 and see if the oil consumption gets worse again. If it does not improve, I'll stick with 10w40.

Opinions appreciated.
grin.gif

Tim

[ June 25, 2003, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: timzak ]

You don't need to "tweak" anything you got it right, suggest you use 3 ounces of Auto-Rx after
treatment is done and your coming up to first non Auto-rx oil change. 3 ounces has proven out as good maintenance and with excellent results if used with every oil change.If you don't mind i am going to cut & paste your application program to another board member who posted a convuluded Auto-Rx application.

Thanks Frank. I guess my main concern was with oil thickness (does it matter?)...the fact that I'll probably have a small amount of 5w20 mixed in with the 10w40 during the application.

Hopefully the autorx will minimize or eliminate the oil consumption issue.

I'll post results when I get them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back