Bought another '96 Honda Accord!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: meep
'96 was the first year honda started putting ballast in specific frame points to mute harmonics, if I recall. They had an accord chassis/frame in the showroom that year at our dealer to show the frame with all of the sheetmetal removed. It was a stout design, and had much less torsional flex than previous versions.

I took a few auto body classes at the local JC, there was a 5th gen Accord body in white on the shop floor Honda sent over(Honda at the time had a facility in Richmond, CA and it doesn't hurt that one of the largest dealers by volume in California is nearby). There's a harmonic counterweight in the package shelf area, foam injected in the A-pillars, the first mass-market application of liquid-filled engine mounts and a few other things.

Those 1990s Accords was Honda at its best. They handled very well for a family car. Also decently easy to work on and reliable.

Originally Posted By: meep

Change all of the fluids. All of them. Bleed new fluid into the brakes. Swap the ATF, three drain/fills. Maybe run some seafoam before the next OC, or use a detergent oil flush at the next change.

I sucked and filled the power steering fluid tonight - quite dirty. Steering is much better on the test drive. I also did a drain and fill of the ATF. That plug magnet had quite a bit of clutch material on it, but so did my LX with likely many more miles. The fluid was very dirty, but not burnt. I will do 2 more drain and fills. It shifted quite a bit better, I like how those trannys operate, like the firm shifts. New PCV valve, I sucked and refilled the brake fluid for now, the old fluid did not look that bad. He had a brake job done, so it looks like they bled the brakes. The motor leaks oil from the valve cover gasket, I picked up a new gasket, will see how much sludge is in there when I replace it. Too cold for that right now.

Another cheap set of wheels for my kids. If they smash either one up, I am not out a bunch.

Originally Posted By: MarkM66
Sounds good to me. A/C work? Rust?

I just looked, people are asking $2k for those old things in my area.
crazy.gif

AC, cruise, all the windows work, not much rust, it is a South Carolina car prior to these kids buying it. The roof, hood and trunk all have the salt finish damage, but the underside is pretty clean. These cars go for $1500-2000 here too.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Sounds like a piece of junk IMHO.

It is! It is a Hoopty! That is what makes it fun. Mechanically it is good to go, but I don't have to worry about it. If it has a flaw....it is not a 5 speed. Then it would be a perfect piece of junk. LOL

Originally Posted By: csandste
Last gen Accord with a wagon, right? Still a beautiful car, better looking than many of its successors.

I think you are right! I would love a wagon version of this car sometime. Would likely not drive as fun, but it would haul all kinds of stuff.

Just did the 2nd drain/fill of the Auto trans. Also sucked and replaced the power steering fluid for the 2nd time. Steering is getting much smoother. I love these old Accords!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back