Honda Accord 6th Gen (1998-2002)

I just bought a one family owned 2002 Honda Accord EX V-6 Sedan with the infamous B7XA Trans. It has 260,000 mi on the original trans with a 3 x 3 qt drain and fill at 120,000 mi at the dealer and a 3 qt (likely more like 2.6 qt) drain and fill at 210,000 mi and 240,00 mi by the original owner's son all using Honda DW-1 Fluid. I'm planning to continue the partial changes going forward although I may do it every 20,000 mi. Most of these seem to die at 120,000 - 180,000 mi in an Accord. What's the longest you know of this trans lasting?

It's actually in pretty decent shape with all the original leather still in one piece, cold ac, all original power accessories still working, tight suspension and steering, good brakes, matching 90% tires and no trouble lights. Southern car with no rust.

In today's market don't know what else I could buy to fiddle with for a $1,000.00.

It does need a motor mount and the timing belt is 7 years old so I plan on putting an Aisin Timing and Waterpump Kit on it. I'm going to change the coolant and brake fluid as well.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
Check out www.driveaccord.net. I found out about this site from over there which is why I don't mind mentioning them. I had a '99 coupe that I bought new and kept 10 years. Very good car although this was the 4cyl. I'd get the timing belt parts from rockauto.com/dealer and skip Ebay and Amazon.

If car sees mostly city miles I'd do a D/F every 15k miles or annually on these. This was echoed by some Honda master techs on the DA forum.

Howdy neighbor! I have an '02 Accord V6 with 264k miles. Paint is shot on mine. I have the factory service manual if you need to borrow. I've done the TB twice now along with all the other stuff such as valve adjustments & water pump. I would do a coolant drain & refill as well as power steering fluid drain & refill. I had to replace the problematic o-ring where it sucks in air & gets frothy & very whiny. I've had to replace the IAC valve, EGR valve, and perform the intake manifold cleaning but those are very DIY. Trans drain & refill is indeed 3 qts. I've done that every oil change at 7500 miles since 22k miles. I'll be replacing the original front brake rotors soon.

There are good online dealer storefronts as well to get OEM parts for quite a bit less.
HondaAutomotiveParts.com
Bernardi Parts
ConicelliHondaParts.com

I'm shocked you only paid $1k for it.

That's a great deal, my brother has a somewhat rusty, beat up '01 (with many new parts) that he's asking $3500 for. The '05 xB in my sig only has a $2K KBB value, hilarious!

I just bought a one family owned 2002 Honda Accord EX V-6 Sedan with the infamous B7XA Trans. It has 260,000 mi on the original trans with a 3 x 3 qt drain and fill at 120,000 mi at the dealer and a 3 qt (likely more like 2.6 qt) drain and fill at 210,000 mi and 240,00 mi by the original owner's son all using Honda DW-1 Fluid. I'm planning to continue the partial changes going forward although I may do it every 20,000 mi. Most of these seem to die at 120,000 - 180,000 mi in an Accord. What's the longest you know of this trans lasting?

It's actually in pretty decent shape with all the original leather still in one piece, cold ac, all original power accessories still working, tight suspension and steering, good brakes, matching 90% tires and no trouble lights. Southern car with no rust.

In today's market don't know what else I could buy to fiddle with for a $1,000.00.

It does need a motor mount and the timing belt is 7 years old so I plan on putting an Aisin Timing and Waterpump Kit on it. I'm going to change the coolant and brake fluid as well.

Any other suggestions?
My 2002 v6 Accord was traded with 141,000 miles. Ran fine. The only repair was a motor mount. Good car. Hope this helps.

Howdy neighbor! I have an '02 Accord V6 with 264k miles. Paint is shot on mine. I have the factory service manual if you need to borrow. I've done the TB twice now along with all the other stuff such as valve adjustments & water pump. I would do a coolant drain & refill as well as power steering fluid drain & refill. I had to replace the problematic o-ring where it sucks in air & gets frothy & very whiny. I've had to replace the IAC valve, EGR valve, and perform the intake manifold cleaning but those are very DIY. Trans drain & refill is indeed 3 qts. I've done that every oil change at 7500 miles since 22k miles. I'll be replacing the original front brake rotors soon.

There are good online dealer storefronts as well to get OEM parts for quite a bit less.
HondaAutomotiveParts.com
Bernardi Parts
ConicelliHondaParts.com

I'm shocked you only paid $1k for it.

Added:
Valve Adjustment & Power Steering Fluid Change (Knew I was forgetting something).

I looked at the Honda USA Parts but it appears they are using alternative suppliers (belts and.waterpumps) to the OEM parts. I think I'm going to go with the Aisin TKH-011 Belt, Waterpump and Pulley Kit. It appears to be the same as the OEM parts in different boxes except it uses a Mitsubishi OEM spec belt instead of Unitta (Which all appear to be decade plus old stock when you can find them). It's possible the Gates R-329 (Made in Japan) is the same belt just without the Unitta logo but MItsubishi does make a quality belt and I hate to toss it when it's debatable if a NOS Unitta or Gates R-329 would be a better choice.

With the trans having a 3 x 3 auto fluid change at 120,000 mi (dealer) and 3 qt diy changes at 210,000 and 240,000 mi I'm a little hesitant to get to aggressive with the fluid changes and possibly loosen some existing deposits. Every 7500 mi seems like it might be a little risky.

It has fresh spark plugs as the previous owner changed them a couple of months ago when he had to replace a coil.

PS Do you use DW-1 or Maxlife Fluid for your 7500 mi changes?

I started out with Z1 (before DW1) and then have used DW1 as well as AMSOIL (now OTF). I had a few cases of RLI ATF as well & even a case of BG 3123.

I meant those links are actual dealerships that also sell online so it's always OEM parts. Not gonna say the other parts are bad in any case perhaps same, but pricing is very similar either way I bet.

Check out www.driveaccord.net. I found out about this site from over there which is why I don't mind mentioning them. I had a '99 coupe that I bought new and kept 10 years. Very good car although this was the 4cyl. I'd get the timing belt parts from rockauto.com/dealer and skip Ebay and Amazon.

If car sees mostly city miles I'd do a D/F every 15k miles or annually on these. This was echoed by some Honda master techs on the DA forum.

I'm planning on ordering an Aisin TKH-011 Waterpump, Pulley andTIming Belt Kit from Rockauto (I already have a 5% Off Coupon).

I could get a Gates R-329 (Japan Made possibly by Unitta) for about $20 but I suspect the Mitsubishi OEM Spec Belt in the kit may be just as good. What's your opinion?

Last edited:
I think the belt that comes in the RA kit should be fine. I'd just run that one. The Mitsu belt has a good reputation.

Seems like a good price... I had a 1998 4-cyl manual that I sold pre-pandemic for $1000 with 295k and poor cosmetics.

One of the best body styles of accords made. Super practical interior. I had an 01 with the 4 cylinder and as a diy it was rather dull, it never gave us any trouble. Hard to imagine $1000 buying any car that moves under its own power these days. Nice find.

Back