Accord maintenance day!

that model is a high ranked Accord over the years

very low maintenance required

I’m paying $5.11/filter in 30 packs from Bernardi’s. Just find a friend to split a pack with.
Good price! Unfortunately I think the filters would be considered antiques before I could get around to using them up.

While the subject has been brought up, what are the better/best Honda oil filters now? I used to be fairly well-educated about Honda maintenance, but I've been all Toyota for years now and recently bought a 2008 CR-V for my daughter. I snagged a Mobil-1 oil filter at a scratch-n-dent store for $6 and used it for the first oil change I did. I can't believe how expensive Honda oil filters are, both OEM and aftermarket OTC. I've got a yuuuuuuuuge stash of Toyota OEM filters for all my stuff and I think I'm averaging $2.50 each for them.

Stick with Mobil 1 filters? Baldwin? What?

While the subject has been brought up, what are the better/best Honda oil filters now? I used to be fairly well-educated about Honda maintenance, but I've been all Toyota for years now and recently bought a 2008 CR-V for my daughter. I snagged a Mobil-1 oil filter at a scratch-n-dent store for $6 and used it for the first oil change I did. I can't believe how expensive Honda oil filters are, both OEM and aftermarket OTC. I've got a yuuuuuuuuge stash of Toyota OEM filters for all my stuff and I think I'm averaging $2.50 each for them.

Stick with Mobil 1 filters? Baldwin? What?
Personally I’d use Fram Tough Guard, Fram Ultra or OEM filter. Just my preference. Fram is the maker of the Honda OE filter.

You are doing a drain & fill on the trans fluid every other oil change? I know Honda is not known for having great automatic transmissions, but that seems a bit like overkill. Does the 2012 Accord have a CVT? I thought 2013 was the first year the Accord was fitted with a CVT. BTW I have a friend with a 2013 Accord with a CVT with over 250,000 miles on the clock and it still drives perfectly.

You are doing a drain & fill on the trans fluid every other oil change? I know Honda is not known for having great automatic transmissions, but that seems a bit like overkill. Does the 2012 Accord have a CVT? I thought 2013 was the first year the Accord was fitted with a CVT. BTW I have a friend with a 2013 Accord with a CVT with over 250,000 miles on the clock and it still drives perfectly.
Not really needed on the 4-cyls, but every other change is a good practice on the 6AT’s.

It has the 5 speed auto. Generally a very solid unit. Servicing these transmissions is so easy and the cost spread over 2 OCI’s is minimal. My thought is it’s just cheap insurance.

I service 6 Hondas, 2 TSX, 1 Accord, 1 Odyssey, 1 CR-V and 1 Civic. I buy the Fram XG7317 and service them using the MityVac at 5K intervals, ot thereabouts. I swap the filter every 2nd or 3rd service.
If I was driving 15K+ annually I’d go that route. The max I like to go on an oil filter is a year, and with the miles (or lack thereof) I put on the Accord I’d be going 2 years. It’s probably fine but I want to sleep well at night.

Wish my oil filter was at that spot, see they relocated it for the Accords k24, makes it an easy service. My Element has it on the back of the block, makes a mess. And the drain and fill on the trans is so easy, same on my Element as well. Nice car

Last edited:
Wish my oil filter was at that spot, see they relocated it for the Accords k24, makes it an easy service. My Element has it on the back of the block, makes a mess. And the drain and fill on the trans is so easy, same on my Element as well. Nice car
On the 3 TSXs I service, I caved and just pull the passenger tire. That back of the block is tight on the K24 in the smaller car.
By the way, in post #26 I forgot one of the TSXs; I service 3. Great cars.

Back