Honda Accord Transmission Fluid

at1335

Hi all,

I have a 2003 Honda Accord that I purchased a few years ago and I wanted to do a transmission fluid change with OEM Honda Transmission Fluid.

I am a bit worried since I do not know what kind of fluid was used when the previous owner did a change a few years ago. I do know the fluid used previously is compatible but I don't know if they used genuine Honda fluid. Is it possible that doing a change with Honda fluid (about 4 quarts) could cause any issues since it is possibly mixing two different types of fluid?

Thanks in advance.

Buy genuine Honda fluid from the dealer or an online Honda parts store. Also, buy the external automatic transmission fluid filter. You can buy it on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Hond...t=&hvlocphy=9008163&hvtargid=pla-441706576305. I've done this on the wife's 2003 Accord. The transmission needs exactly 3 quarts of fluid when you drain fluid using the drain plug on the near-bottom of the transmission. The filter is located on the top of the transmission and is easily accessible.

I would feel confident using Idemistu (I use it). If you don't, get a case (12-qts) of Honda fluid and do 3x drain and fills. If you have a 2003 and it's running fine today, it will be ok. Drain and fill with either of these fluids and move on....

Hi all,

I have a 2003 Honda Accord that I purchased a few years ago and I wanted to do a transmission fluid change with OEM Honda Transmission Fluid.

I am a bit worried since I do not know what kind of fluid was used when the previous owner did a change a few years ago. I do know the fluid used previously is compatible but I don't know if they used genuine Honda fluid. Is it possible that doing a change with Honda fluid (about 4 quarts) could cause any issues since it is possibly mixing two different types of fluid?

Thanks in advance.
Short answer is no. I have never heard of anyone having issues mixing automotive atf. I personally have used type f, dex 6, transmission additives, honda atf in my 02 accord and i have never had any issues with them being mixed. Most automotive atf are quite similar base wise just with different frictional properties

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

That car is almost 20 years old.

Be careful changing the transmission fluid on such an old car, where you don't know the history.

I would think any aftermarket fluid that states it is compatible would probably be fine on such an old car.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Thanks in advance.
No problem with that. If the Honda dealer price for DW-1 is not good, the last time I checked Rock Auto had Aisin brand (rebranded Idemitsu) for less than $6.00 a quart. It may pay to buy 7-8 quarts to offset shipping costs.

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.
4 cyl or 6 cyl?

If it's a 4 cylinder, if you drain out 3 qts 3 times and replace with new DW1, you will end up with 81% new fluid. 4 times you will
be right at 90% new fluid.

If it's a 6 cylinder, if you drain out 3 qts 3 times and replace with new DW1, you will end up with 78% new fluid. 4 times you will
be right at 86% new fluid.

I'd buy a case from dealership, do 3 drain and fills (using 9 qts) and have 3 qts leftover for your next single drain and fill. I'd get
a few washers and check into that ATF filter. The filter was a pain to change. LOL

(I got the AT fluid capacity off the Amsoil website and am assuming they are correct)

Can anyone tell me exactly what this filter does? What I mean is, it is so small what is it exactly filtering? This is much different than the trans filter in my S4 which holds like 3 - 4 quarts of fuild.

I'm trying to figure out exactly what "it" is filtering in such a small size. I've read that it only contains a magnet but I can't seem to find a definitive answer.

And a larger filter would hold more of whatever it is "filtering". So yeah the size "could" have something to do with it along with the media in the filter.

Back