Bought A Yamaha XSR900 today!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How are the engine vibrations on the 900 triple? I know it has a cross-plane crank (has to be for a triple), and don't think Yamaha uses any kind of counter-balancer in their engines. Do you get any handlebar vibrations on long highway riding and any hand "tingling" from it?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
How are the engine vibrations on the 900 triple? I know it has a cross-plane crank (has to be for a triple), and don't think Yamaha uses any kind of counter-balancer in their engines. Do you get any handlebar vibrations on long highway riding and any hand "tingling" from it?

Vibrations are very minimal. The only time I get any tingling is if I ride more that 2 hours straight. It has much less vibes that my old FZ6R which was an inline 4.

The triple has a primary couple force balancer factory. Engine is surprisingly smooth and vibe free.

Well ... I spend the day looking at bikes. Looking at a left over 2015 Yamaha FZ1, a 2015 Yamaha FZ-09 (both new). Rode both and liked both. Like the riding position of the FZ1 more than the FZ-09.

They also had a 2016 60th Annv (yellow & black) XSR600 there which I also rode, and it felt better than the FZ-09 and FZ1 to me, I knew it would just by sitting on it. Seat is different and doesn't slide you into the tank like on the FZ-09, and the tank shape is different and maybe handlebars, not sure on that. Just seemed to fit me really well. Plus the brakes just seemed better on the XSR900 and suspension was firmer and felt really good.

Ended up buying it! And donnyj08 you were right on about the engine vibration. The FZ1 has more handlebar vibes than the XSR900 at highway speeds. I could hardly feel any vibes on the XSR900.

They did take some money off but it was hard getting them down because it is limited and people were all over this bike. It was the only 60th Annv XSR900 they were getting ... so they said. Not sure how limited it really is (anyone know?), but all I know it this thing is cool and so fun.
thumbsup2.gif

Well ... I spend the day looking at bikes. Looking at a left over 2015 Yamaha FZ1, a 2015 Yamaha FZ-09 (both new). Rode both and liked both. Like the riding position of the FZ1 more than the FZ-09.

They also had a 2016 60th Annv (yellow & black) XSR600 there which I also rode, and it felt better than the FZ-09 and FZ1 to me, I knew it would just by sitting on it. Seat is different and doesn't slide you into the tank like on the FZ-09, and the tank shape is different and maybe handlebars, not sure on that. Just seemed to fit me really well. Plus the brakes just seemed better on the XSR900 and suspension was firmer and felt really good.

Ended up buying it! And donnyj08 you were right on about the engine vibration. The FZ1 has more handlebar vibes than the XSR900 at highway speeds. I could hardly feel any vibes on the XSR900.

They did take some money off but it was hard getting them down because it is limited and people were all over this bike. It was the only 60th Annv XSR900 they were getting ... so they said. Not sure how limited it really is (anyone know?), but all I know it this thing is cool and so fun.
thumbsup2.gif

Congratulations!!! You're going to love the bike. It is fantastic! I'm at 2,200 miles on mine and I love it more than ever. Keep us updated on yours!

Keep us updated on your break-in and maintenance plans. I broke mine in pretty hard and it payed off. I'm using no oil at all and it outruns my buddies 2014 Fz09 from hard pulls.

Get that bike out and enjoy the twisties too, the Bridgestone battlax Hypersport tires warm up quick and stick very well.

Get used to having people drool over your bike. Even Harley guys stop and talk to me about mine. The anniversary color is growing on me. I'm really glad you got one! Start yourself a new thread and show that beautiful beast off!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: donnyj08

Congratulations!!! You're going to love the bike. It is fantastic! I'm at 2,200 miles on mine and I love it more than ever. Keep us updated on yours!

Keep us updated on your break-in and maintenance plans. I broke mine in pretty hard and it payed off. I'm using no oil at all and it outruns my buddies 2014 Fz09 from hard pulls.

Get that bike out and enjoy the twisties too, the Bridgestone battlax Hypersport tires warm up quick and stick very well.

Get used to having people drool over your bike. Even Harley guys stop and talk to me about mine. The anniversary color is growing on me. I'm really glad you got one! Start yourself a new thread and show that beautiful beast off!

Thanks! When I test rode the bike it was only for about 15~20 min, but I had a chance to hit some tight corners at a good clip and pop it up to 90+ a few times on the straights. I definitely won't be babying it during break-in. I always break my stuff in pretty hard (not syco hard) and every engine I've had runs strong and doesn't use oil.

Not sure what oil I'm going to use at the first oil change ... might just go with Yamalube the first change.

Have you found a good XSR900 chat board yet?

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
IMG_2970_zpstu54szhv.jpg

For some reason I think my instrument cluster layout looks different than yours. I don't recall ever seeing the green neutral light on mine. Or maybe I test rode too many bikes today - LoL. I thought the tach was way out on the very outside circumference of the gauge on mine. Maybe it's different on the 60th Anniversary model.
21.gif

I had to leave the bike at the dealership until Tuesday because I didn't plan on buying today and need to get them the money on Tuesday when they open again (closed Sun & Mon). Plus I rode my Hayabusa there so I couldn't get it home anyway. I can take photos when I get it home.

Donny, are you the chap on IG posting about using Mobil Delvac 1300 in your XSR900? i searched the hashtag HDEO haha and saw your bike.

Seeing as the XSR900 is much more technologically advanced compared to my XV950 Bolt, would Delvac be good to run? what's your review on that oil? I see you use a Motorcycle specific oil now, Bel-Ray.

ZeeOSix, awesome bike! enjoy it! there are 2 that shipped into Brunei, and one happens to be the anniversary colour. Very nice colourway, solid looking bike. I saw it in the Dealership's store room , as it wasn't allowed to get on the showroom floor because it hasn't been inspected by the Land Transport Department yet. there was a yellow anniversary colourway, and one blue one i believe.

There are people here selling their 3 month old Yamaha Bolts in an attempt to target the XSR900. that's saying something! One guy recently bought his Bolt, only to have the XSR come in, thus changing his opinion and making him want an XSR. haha

Originally Posted By: FWR132
Donny, are you the chap on IG posting about using Mobil Delvac 1300 in your XSR900? i searched the hashtag HDEO haha and saw your bike.

Seeing as the XSR900 is much more technologically advanced compared to my XV950 Bolt, would Delvac be good to run? what's your review on that oil? I see you use a Motorcycle specific oil now, Bel-Ray.

ZeeOSix, awesome bike! enjoy it! there are 2 that shipped into Brunei, and one happens to be the anniversary colour. Very nice colourway, solid looking bike. I saw it in the Dealership's store room , as it wasn't allowed to get on the showroom floor because it hasn't been inspected by the Land Transport Department yet. there was a yellow anniversary colourway, and one blue one i believe.

There are people here selling their 3 month old Yamaha Bolts in an attempt to target the XSR900. that's saying something! One guy recently bought his Bolt, only to have the XSR come in, thus changing his opinion and making him want an XSR. haha

I do post on IG occasionally. I have a profile dedicated to the XSR. I try to post pictures of my trips and adventures on the XSR. @xsr900life.

Delvac is perfectly fine in the XSR as well as for your Bolt or even an R1 for that matter. I really like Delvac 1300 and will use it again. I changed the oil because the Delvac in the crankcase was overfilled and rather than try to drain 1/4qt I just changed the oil.

I went with the Bel-Ray oil as my local shop carries it, and I had a gift card to the shop. It is the 10w40 EXL mineral line that is MA2 rated. Shift quality is slightly better than Delvac, but just barely. Time will tell if it stays that way.

Oil is mostly preference. I like to try new things so I don't have a favorite oil really they are all splitting hairs these days. I used a lot of Bel-Ray oil when I was younger and raced/rode dirt bikes and ATV's often. It was always good stuff so I trust it. As for Delvac it's a favorite of mine.

My brother races Some IXCR cross country races on a YFZ450 ATV and he runs Delvac exclusively in his quad. It always runs just as good and as long between top ends as the guys running Amsoil and Motorex if that says anything about its ability to protect under hard use.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FWR132

Thanks, yeah I really liked the yellow anniversary paint scheme. Yamaha did a nice job on the tank, as all the decals are clear coated over which is nice. The YAMAHA on the side of the tank is a decal under clear coat instead of the raised emblem like on the standard model. The two small emblems on the front/top of the tank are raised though. The mickey mouse warning sticker on the tank isn't clear coated over and that will be coming of first thing.

For some reason I think my instrument cluster layout looks different than yours. I don't recall ever seeing the green neutral light on mine. Or maybe I test rode too many bikes today - LoL.

After reading the owner's manual some tonight, I'm sure mine is the same as yours. Only test rode the bike a short time, so guess I didn't absorb everything on the instrument pod. The instrument pod has so much stuff packed in to it that it's basically the most complicated thing about this bike.

For some reason I think my instrument cluster layout looks different than yours. I don't recall ever seeing the green neutral light on mine. Or maybe I test rode too many bikes today - LoL.

After reading the owner's manual some tonight, I'm sure mine is the same as yours. Only test rode the bike a short time, so guess I didn't absorb everything on the instrument pod. The instrument pod has so much stuff packed in to it that it's basically the most complicated thing about this bike.

It certainly contains a lot of information in one small cluster. It is however very easy to read!

I've been watching most of the YouTube videos on the XRS900 and looks like you can also change traction control between setting 1 & 2 while moving as long as the throttle is closed (like engine mode changes). But in order to turn TC off you have to be stopped. Lots to learn about the instrument readouts and function buttons.

Correct. TC can be changed between 1 and 2 with a closed throttle. Rider modes are the same way. You will find you will not be able to WOT with TC set to 2 in the first couple gears as it will intervene.

Generally I use setting 1 and I rotate between std mode and B modes. I will switch to TC setting 2 if I'm in the wet or if I'm going to push the bike hard on a twisty road. It really will help keep everything in check. Comes in handy here where there are a lot of mid corner bumps and pavement patches.

To turn TC of you will have to be stopped and you hold the button for 2 seconds I believe. I've only turned it off just to do it. I see no need to turn it off. TC 1 will let you get pretty wild if you want. The triple makes enough torque on launch you can spin the rear tire in 1st gear especially on the white lines.

donnyj08 - does the "TCS" warning light come on for a few seconds and then go out when you first turn on the ignition key? I've seen a few YouTube videos that show it doesn't, but the owner's manual says it should ... so I need to verify if the owner's manual is wrong ... it could be. Please check your XSR and let me know what you see.

donnyj08 - does the "TCS" warning light come on for a few seconds and then go out when you first turn on the ignition key? I've seen a few YouTube videos that show it doesn't, but the owner's manual says it should ... so I need to verify if the owner's manual is wrong ... it could be. Please check your XSR and let me know what you see.

I don't think mine does. I'm out of town on business, however I will check when I get home on Friday for you. The abs light will stay on until you get rolling.

As far a TCS with only the ignition on I'm not sure. If you want to check system function you can set it to TCS 2 and A mode and throttle it up! Rough pavement should also trigger the system if you hit the bumps and give it some gas.

It was verified on the XSR chat board that the owner's manual is incorrect on the operation of the TCS warning light. So all is good.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back