Bought a new 2014 Honda CB1100!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ryanschillinger
Bigcahuna I really don't get what your issue is here. Enjoy whatever you ride. I'll do the same. For the last time, I didn't pay $11k. Sportsters are very small and for the right person, are probably a fine bike. Not for me though. Sorry.
I don't have an issue. I was just expressing my opinion like everyone else has. Was there something in particular that I said that bothered you?.,,

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Bigcahuna I really don't get what your issue is here. Enjoy whatever you ride. I'll do the same. For the last time, I didn't pay $11k. Sportsters are very small and for the right person, are probably a fine bike. Not for me though. Sorry.
I don't have an issue. I was just expressing my opinion like everyone else has. Was there something in particular that I said that bothered you?.,,

You have a habit of slamming a brand for doing what your brand does. "Rehashing" as you put it for instance. When your specific brand does it, it is all about celebrating the heritage. When Honda does it, you criticize it. Honda was channeling the paradigm shifting CB750 in the CB1100 as you clearly state. Harley has been doing the same bloody thing with the Sporty for years. Models like the XR1200 and the Seventy Two are channeling the past just the same as Honda was. Show some consistency in your logic. If you hate Honda for doing it, you should think the same for Harley. If you love that Harley does it, you should give Honda props for doing it as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Robenstein

You have a habit of slamming a brand for doing what your brand does. "Rehashing" as you put it for instance. When your specific brand does it, it is all about celebrating the heritage. When Honda does it, you criticize it. Honda was channeling the paradigm shifting CB750 in the CB1100 as you clearly state. Harley has been doing the same bloody thing with the Sporty for years. Models like the XR1200 and the Seventy Two are channeling the past just the same as Honda was. Show some consistency in your logic. If you hate Honda for doing it, you should think the same for Harley. If you love that Harley does it, you should give Honda props for doing it as well.

Boy you sure got your panties in a wad. Funny, I don't remember asking you for your opinion about anything. Here's my opinion if you want it or not, Hondas are throw away bikes, with boring styling that only gets more unappealing with age. I can't figure out why people talk about them like they are so great, then they stop making them.So many models have been dropped you can't even remember them all. But you can buy a 2 or 3 year old one new from a dealer. Really, you only buy one if your broke or too cheap to spend any money.,,

Must be a Jersey thing that I don't get. Hondas aren't throw away bikes. You still see a TON of them on the road from the 70's and 80's. And probably aren't on the 3rd rebuild. You're obviously a HD die hard. That's cool. Enjoy what you ride like I said. I have friends that ride Harleys and they're cool, a little joking is all good. But some of their riding buddies are like you. If it's not a Harley, it's a pile of [censored].

Must be a Jersey thing that I don't get. Hondas aren't throw away bikes. You still see a TON of them on the road from the 70's and 80's. And probably aren't on the 3rd rebuild. You're obviously a HD die hard. That's cool. Enjoy what you ride like I said. I have friends that ride Harleys and they're cool, a little joking is all good. But some of their riding buddies are like you. If it's not a Harley, it's a pile of [censored].

When I rode I never had time for the Harley crowd. They don't wave....unless you ride a Harley. Why is that, anyway? Very rude. Of course many see themselves as some sort of "rebel" or "tough-guy" because they ride a motorcycle that has a particular brand name on it. So immature.

I've owned Triumph, Honda, Suzuki, and Yamaha bikes. All were fine bikes and certainly not "throw away" material. Actually, most of the real rust buckets I saw on the road were old, tired Harley's that barely ran. I was always friendly to these guys....but mostly got treated like dirt because I rode a Japanese bike (oh...the HORROR!).

I guess Harley has done very well at marketing to a certain demographic that is easily manipulated. Funny how not too many Harley guys like to comment on how hideously crummy Harley was during the 1970's when AMF owned them. Real pieces of utter garbage. Oh well.

I wasn't gonna mention the AMF years haha but now there seem to be some fine motorcycles in their lineup. Their prices, though, are high. Reliability isn't their strong suit. Consumer reports rated reliability by brand for the major manufacturers and HD and BMW were at the bottom.

I wasn't gonna mention the AMF years haha but now there seem to be some fine motorcycles in their lineup. Their prices, though, are high. Reliability isn't their strong suit. Consumer reports rated reliability by brand for the major manufacturers and HD and BMW were at the bottom.

I figured that about Harley....but the BMW's as well? That's a pity. I actually love the look of some of them. The beauty of those big cylinders sticking out the side is kinda cool looking to me.

Everyone has what they prefer. I prefer Metric bikes, some people i know prefer Harleys. I will wave at all riders. It does kinda EEK me when a group of Harley guys ignore your wave as if they are better than you because they aren't on a Japanese bike though.

The truth is all modern bikes run nearly forever. I've seen tons of metric bikes with high mileage. Ive even seen some Italian bikes with crazy high mileage. They are all decent if maintained well. Ride whatever you like and enjoy it because at the end of the day it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks about what you purchase with your hard earned money.

Congrats on the new bike. It will serve you well.
I spent yesterday afternoon on a Roadliner Deluxe, probably one of the most under rated cruisers out there.

"Boy you sure got your panties in a wad. Funny, I don't remember asking you for your opinion about anything. Here's my opinion if you want it or not, Hondas are throw away bikes, with boring styling that only gets more unappealing with age. I can't figure out why people talk about them like they are so great, then they stop making them.So many models have been dropped you can't even remember them all. But you can buy a 2 or 3 year old one new from a dealer. Really, you only buy one if your broke or too cheap to spend any money.,,"

I have a little 1982 450 Nighthawk. I runs as good as the day it was purchased. I have only changed the oil once a year and kept it clean. I wouldn't call that a throw away bike. I like the way most motorcycle manufacturers update their line-up every few years to keep up to date with new technology and trends. For me, I enjoy my 35 year old bike.

Last edited:
Nice bike. I love the retro look of the CB.

Screw the HD crowd. They're nothing more than a bunch of wannabe weekend warriors. They're just a bunch of posers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cb450sc
"Boy you sure got your panties in a wad. Funny, I don't remember asking you for your opinion about anything. Here's my opinion if you want it or not, Hondas are throw away bikes, with boring styling that only gets more unappealing with age. I can't figure out why people talk about them like they are so great, then they stop making them.So many models have been dropped you can't even remember them all. But you can buy a 2 or 3 year old one new from a dealer. Really, you only buy one if your broke or too cheap to spend any money.,,"

I have a little 1982 450 Nighthawk. I runs as good as the day it was purchased. I have only changed the oil once a year and kept it clean. I wouldn't call that a throw away bike. I like the way most motorcycle manufacturers update their line-up every few years to keep up to date with new technology and trends. For me, I enjoy my 35 year old bike.

I really wanted a Nighthawk. I never did get one but always thought I'd enjoy riding one.

My very first bike was a 1982 Honda CM450E. Very basic bike that was so fun and easy to ride with plenty of power for me.

I often wish I had kept that bike just to ride it now and then. But of course....others think it should have just been thrown away.

Originally Posted By: 29662
Nice bike. I love the retro look of the CB.

Screw the HD crowd. They're nothing more than a bunch of wannabe weekend warriors. They're just a bunch of posers.

I don't know if they realize how they are only posing to themselves or others they ride with. The rest of us find them rather ridiculously humorous. Especially when they "blip" the throttle at stoplights to try to get somebody to look at them. Shallow and childish.

But...of course not all Harley folks are like this...just the majority in my view.

I will definitely miss my roadliner, especially for riding 2 up with the wife. But I think I can set this bike up to do a decent job of it anyway. Already ordered a windshield and rear rack and will get a top case or sissy bar. Engine guards are next. Sometimes I think I should've just stuck with my liner, but I've really liked these cb1100 since they came out. And I've had my bike since new, ready for a change.

I will definitely miss my roadliner, especially for riding 2 up with the wife. But I think I can set this bike up to do a decent job of it anyway. Already ordered a windshield and rear rack and will get a top case or sissy bar. Engine guards are next. Sometimes I think I should've just stuck with my liner, but I've really liked these cb1100 since they came out. And I've had my bike since new, ready for a change.

Change is good in this case of handling is a goal. Unless you ride two-up all the time, a sissy bar will be fine.

I think this CB will feel a bit more connected to the road and as such could allow for a more engaged experience that the Roadliner.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it greatly.

'When that bike has been in production for half as long as the Sportster has, then come back and talk smack'.

The Sportster debuted in 1957. IIRC the Honda CB series debuted 12 years later in 1969 with the CB750. Neither bike is the same iteration of it's predecessor, but the Honda CB series has been around a long time!

What? The Sportster, has been in continuous production since 1957. Honda's 750 went out of production, then made a few feeble attempts to bring it back. None of which caught fire. You can say the cb series has been around a long time, but The Sportster has been around longer in continuous production due to demand. And that's a fact jack.,,,

What? The Sportster, has been in continuous production since 1957. Honda's 750 went out of production, then made a few feeble attempts to bring it back. None of which caught fire. You can say the cb series has been around a long time, but The Sportster has been around longer in continuous production due to demand. And that's a fact jack.,,,

So what. The ENTIRE decade of the 1970's Harley put out FEEBLE bikes. Pieces of junk, actually. At that time Honda and others were putting out some very nice bikes....way ahead of Harley.

But conveniently, the pro-Harley riders ignore that decade like it never happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back