Bought a Glock 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I bought the 19 today. Didn't like how my hand felt on the 26, just didn't have enough grip for me. The 19 seems like a perfect fit. So, since I have a bunch of Tulammo 9mm, will this be okay for this gun? I know Glocks eat anything but still curious what everyone's .02 cents are.

The saleswoman, who seemed older but not too knowledgeable said she would never use steel cased ammo ever. For what that is worth..

Last edited:
I've used it on my XDm and P229. I haven't seen any ill effects. Granted it was only about 100 rounds though.

Nice pistol, congrats.

I've run Tulammo through my Glocks (19 & 23) with no issues. I've been shooting a lot of it lately through most of my handguns. Can't beat the price for range ammo. Shot up 150 rounds of it this morning through my PT809 and PT92. I can't remember having any problems using it in the Glocks but whether or not it's good for them I don't know.

Last edited:
I've shot about 200 rounds of TulAmmo 9mm though mine, and the only issue I came up with was an incorrectly set primer... So it might pay to check the primers (fairly easy to scan them over in their 50 round boxes).

Other than that, and the fact that steel cased ammo is dirty firing, I haven't noticed any difference from brass cased rounds. Just gives you more to clean after a trip to the range.

I have heard that it can wear the extractor faster, but this may not even be noticeable even after thousands of rounds. Also, due to the coating they put on them, they may give off some chemicals that are harmful to breathe in when fired. So that's something else to think about in addition to the lead exposure concern with most every type of round.

Originally Posted By: Digital2k2
the fact that steel cased ammo is dirty firing, I haven't noticed any difference from brass cased rounds. Just gives you more to clean after a trip to the range.

With as much shooting as I do I just don't see any real difference in how 'dirty' one brand is over another. The two pistols I shot today were not that dirty at all after 100 rnds through one and 50 through the other (Tulammo). Of course I still clean them.

Tula ammo is filthy ammo. That saying it is a perfect plinking ammo. And being dirty burning you really see how your firearm will handle all the residue and gunk the ruskie steel cased ammo leaves behind.

Glocks are the AK47 of the pistol world in durability and reliability. Only complaint I can really find on them is the partially unsupported chamber. Good for reliable shooting, but on higher pressure rounds it can weaken the casing if you reload.

The 19 is one of my favorites in 9mm. I have shot a lot of Tula Ammo and it has been fine.

Yep, I agree OP, the 19 just feels right in the hand.

Buy a Sig P229DAK next... Those feel nice in the hand too.

I have a G22 and currently have around 5700 rounds through it, never a jam or any issues at all. I have mostly put Winchester Bulk White Boxes and Remington UMC through it but wouldn't worry about putting anything else in it.

Wayne

I don't think the Glock manuals mention steel-cased ammunition. As of a couple of years ago, though, Glock customer support/customer service said that they didn't mind the use of steel-cased ammo so long as it met SAAMI or NATO specifications. Remember that the Glock 9mm models 17 & 19 were made as NATO-spec pistols.

You could call Glock yourself to make sure their position on this hasn't changed. Glocks, especially in 9mm, are not fussy or delicate, & I wouldn't place much weight with what the saleswoman said. If your steel-cased 9mm ammo & nice new Glock 19 were mine, I'd go shoot a bunch of it!
grin2.gif

Only thing you really shouldn't shoot in a glock is non jacketed plain lead bullets due to the polygonal rifling on the OEM barrels. I know glock specifically mentioned to not use that kind of ammo.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Only thing you really shouldn't shoot in a glock is non jacketed plain lead bullets due to the polygonal rifling on the OEM barrels. I know glock specifically mentioned to not use that kind of ammo.

You can shoot lead in Glocks. Just need to be aware of the issues. No soft lead, proper size, monitor for lead buildup, proper cleaning, etc. It's not for everyone but it can be done safely.

Buffalo Bore

Last edited:
Or just drop in an aftermarket barrel with traditional rifling. lol

To me that sounds easier than making sure to take all the precautions with shooting plain lead rounds

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Or just drop in an aftermarket barrel with traditional rifling. lol

To me that sounds easier than making sure to take all the precautions with shooting plain lead rounds
The procedures aren't much different than ones many people already implement. Soft, overdriven, improperly sized bullets in a bore that's never cleaned are bad no matter what barrel you have. Owners manuals are written for the lowest common denominator. Easier to say NO RELOADS or NO LEAD than to go through common sense precautions.

Originally Posted By: whip
It's a Glock. Shoot what you have, it's not like you're going to wear it out.
Yep. If you wear out a Glock 9mm you got your money out of it for sure. OP likely got the law enforcement price of $398.20 with 3 mags to boot. Drive it like you stole it.

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
So I bought the 19 today. Didn't like how my hand felt on the 26, just didn't have enough grip for me. The 19 seems like a perfect fit. So, since I have a bunch of Tulammo 9mm, will this be okay for this gun? I know Glocks eat anything but still curious what everyone's .02 cents are.

The saleswoman, who seemed older but not too knowledgeable said she would never use steel cased ammo ever. For what that is worth..

Love the 19. Good fit, good capacity, great reliability, reasonable price. I bought 3 of them...

I would follow the Glock Owner's Manual for recommendations on ammo and maintenance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lawman1909

A lot of people have the belief that steel cased ammo will destroy their gun. [censored] I call. I would not use cheap steel case ammo in a SD or HD situation, but for range practice it will do just fine. About the only bad steel case thing happen to me was using Brown Bear in my SR9. Bear ammo is laquer coated and the rounds are not as slippery in the mag as brass rounds. The rounds were kind of stuck in the mag.

I am sick of people saying "steel cased ammo is dirty", all ammo is dirty. Clean your firearm.

For plinking at the range, buy the cheap stuff.

"Dirty" depends on the powder being used. I clean my guns, so dirty powder doesn't concern me.

The strict admonition from Glock against steel case ammo does concern me. It's not a "dirty" thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back