Bought a 2009 Expedition

Bought it at an auction over the weekend.
XLT EL trim, 190k miles, former state vehicle, some rust up top near the remnants of the antennas, some rust underneath the paint on bonnet (did Ford paint these outside in the rain?), some panels misaligned on the right side. Including pic with the good side :). Only front chairs present, need to buy some chairs for the second row. Interior behind front seats is kind of beat up, it was adapted for hauling stuff (plywood boxes instead of chairs, making a long flat platform). Was sold (when new) as equipped with 4x4 control trac, advance trac with RSC, 3.73 axle, HD trailer tow.
This is my first sea faring vehicle (only had smaller sedans until now), I guess it operates fine, one surprise is how slow it is to take off with low throttle input (maybe the torque converter is undersized for a 6k lb vehicle).
I could use some guidance on maintenance and fluids please.
Is Maxlife OK instead of Mercon LV (Mercon LV is kinda pricy right now)? That tiny transmission dipstick next to the exhaust is ridiculous.
What should I use for the transfer case?
For the diffs is GL-5 fine?
09_Expedition.JPG

Use maxlife LV rated ATF.

The 5.4L is extremely underpowered. I wouldn’t expect much from it with low throttle input.

What do you call the fitting which goes into the trannie pan in no-dipstick units?

With the engine running you reach up with a 10mm allen key and remove the plug. Only a drop or two will come out.
I did my first one of these on my friend's Explorer.

I believe Ford recently declared MerconLV in all their past transfer cases. I assume that means any make LV fluid will do.

I had a 99 Expedition that I owned for years. I loved that truck. I always took mine in for transmission fluid changes and rear/front changes as well as the transfer case so I can't help you much. I had great luck with the 5.4. I had an 05 Ford 4x4 with a 5.4 and had great luck with that one too. I didn't think they were underpowered.

I had a 99 Expedition that I owned for years. I loved that truck. I always took mine in for transmission fluid changes and rear/front changes as well as the transfer case so I can't help you much. I had great luck with the 5.4. I had an 05 Ford 4x4 with a 5.4 and had great luck with that one too. I didn't think they were underpowered.
Yours was the 2v which is good and i agree that it's not underpowered. The intake was designed for torque over hp. His is the 3v but the revised 3v since it's a 2009 so it shouldn't be problematic.

What do you call the fitting which goes into the trannie pan in no-dipstick units?

With the engine running you reach up with a 10mm allen key and remove the plug. Only a drop or two will come out.
I did my first one of these on my friend's Explorer.

I believe Ford recently declared MerconLV in all their past transfer cases. I assume that means any make LV fluid will do.
Thanks, really not looking forward to burning myself.

Back