bosch premium filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually use fram ultras or pureone syn filter because I use syn oil but I just got two of the bosch premium filters with a oil change special. Are the bosch premiums any good. Im sure they cant compare to the ultras but I hope they aren't cheaply made .

I've been happy with the Bosch but will be cutting them up in future to check.

But by the time that happens, there should be more reports on BITOG to help decide.

People say they love them. Iv never used them but iv seen the cartridge oil filters (I believe that's what they are called) without the shell and I just don't really like the quality they show.

Will they work as an oil filter?
Certainly!

Would I use one for a 10k mile change?
No, can't say I would.

As said iv never used them but from looking at them in the past with a open mind I wasn't to pleased.

I don't mean to talk down about them because I'm sure they are good filters. Just there are many great options for a oil filter at the $8-$12 price range.

I think there are a few documented tears upon dissection, which you can verify if you can find the spreadsheet being used to keep tabs on the tears reported here. As was said, they are made by Purolator, but believe they use a different media than the P1, so maybe they are a bit more tear resistant?

I have one on my workbench waiting to be cut open. Maybe I will get around to it one of these days.

The Bosch Premium also suffer the same tearing issues, as they are essentially Purolator filters. Speaking from personal experience having examined them and seeing the tear myself.

If you absolutely are insistent on using these, I would not go more than 5000 km (3000 miles) on them.

They don't compare at all to the Ultra's since the Bosch has been known to tear in service, i would use it but with a very short interval, aka: 3k mile filter interval, even if you push your oil longer you can change the filter part way through.

I've used the 5288 on my '88 Caddy and found my insolubles % went down vs store brands while using them. That's all I can say about them.

They are terrible. Don't risk it. Send them to me so I may dispose of them appropriately! Of course they are fine to use. Don't buy in to all this purolator hysteria. Run it as long as you feel comfortable and get on down the road.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I would not take the chance when there are filters out there that dont tear

Fram Ultra's tear. So cross Fram off the list.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I would not take the chance when there are filters out there that dont tear

Fram Ultra's tear. So cross Fram off the list.

LOL
Trolling.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I wouldn't use them if it were me; they're made in the same place as Purolators.

x2

Originally Posted By: waltywalt
I usually use fram ultras or pureone syn filter because I use syn oil but I just got two of the bosch premium filters with a oil change special. Are the bosch premiums any good.

I won't use them again - I've cut 2 open and one had failed by media tear (although 16k km's use). But the media is weak and easily torn, even within service limits. My latest batch of post mortem pics from a Bosch 3330 are here.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
They are terrible. Don't risk it. Send them to me so I may dispose of them appropriately! Of course they are fine to use. Don't buy in to all this purolator hysteria. Run it as long as you feel comfortable and get on down the road.

Considering the current data set we have regarding weak and easily torn media, this is not a good recommendation. Torn media is a complete filtering failure in my opinion, and the Purolator / Bosch filters coming from the Fayetteville plant seem prone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back