Bosch O2 sensors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I replaced my MAP sensor and did a tune up on my truck this weekend. My truck runs stronger now and appears to be getting a little bit better MPG. Today I ordered 2 new upstream O2 sensors from the NGK website. I hope they will help to increase the MPG now. I still have the original O2's and they have 110,000 miles on them. I think they are getting lazy. I can smell the rich exhaust for the first few seconds when I start my truck but I have no codes stored.

I keep reading about how bad Bosch O2's are and they don't work well on Dodges and some other vehicles. Is that really true? Has anyone had good luck with a Bosch O2 sensor? Has replacing the O2 sensor, regardless of the brand helped anyone's MPG?

By the way, my sensors were only $30.00 each online. I will have to wire in the connectors from the old ones, and I paid a little extra for 3 day UPS shipping. But still it cost less for one new one at the dealer, and even less for a Bosch from Advance or Autozone.

Any info is appreciated, I'm just trying to get my truck to run the best I can and hoping we don't see $4.00+ for gas this summer. It goes up more every day here. Truck is a 2001 Dodge Dakota w/3.9 V6 and 5 speed manual. 110,000 miles on it.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
I keep reading about how bad Bosch O2's are and they don't work well on Dodges and some other vehicles. Is that really true? Has anyone had good luck with a Bosch O2 sensor?

I'm not going to say one way or the other if Bosch is a good or bad brand for your application. However, I will say that Bosch makes some original equipment parts for a lot of vehicles. I also suspect that a lot of Bosch-bashers have no experience whatsover with Bosch.
There are a few parts that I will only use OEM as a replacement. An O2 sensor is one of them.
Report back and tell us how well the new parts work.

"I can smell the rich exhaust for the first few seconds when I start my truck "

This is normal. The engine starts in "open loop" mode and doesn't use feedback from the 02 sensors until they are up to operating temp.

I can't speak for your Dodge specifically, but yes it's fairly common for new 02 sensors to bring back the mileage the vehicle was getting when it was younger. Best of luck with this.

Thanks. NGK (NTK for O2's) is the OE supplier for Dodge sensors. It just costs a whole lot less to get it from NGK directly. From what I read on other forums, I hope to get a noticeable increase in MPG. And I agree, the O2 is definitely a part I will only use the OE parts to replace.

I replaced both upstream O2 sensors in my F150 with Bosch ones. The OEM were also Bosch, but the replacements were redesigned for something or another.

It was a PITA to get the old ones out, but the new ones screwed right in and have been working great. One thing I did notice was that the heat sleeve on the OEM sensors was much better in terms of avoiding being sliced or burned by heat.

Here's a 10yr old Bosch ($250 CDN in 1999!) vs a brand new NTK sensor. Not sure why the Bosch is so much fatter ... maybe to give the illusion of "more for the money."

IMG_4560.jpg

And the wire to my Accord O2 sensor had broken off ... replacing it increased fuel mileage by at least 10%. Not sure what you'd get replacing a lazy sensor ... but even a minute fuel economy increase should pay for itself quickly.

Thanks for the pictures.

I just got off the phone with NGK. They had called to say they only had one universal style sensor in stock. So I asked if they had 2 of the direct plug-in type and they said yes. So I changed my order and got the direct plug type. It will be easier and more reliable that way, but I think with enough heat shrink and tape I could have made it waterproof. And it is still a lot less than one new one from Dodge. And 2 NGK's cost only a little more than 1 Bosch. I just hope I get better MPG.

Thanks

It'll be a little better MPG. It'll take a bit, as the computer relearns the sensor.

I replaced the OEM sensor on my 99 Buick LeSabre with a Denso and my mileage went up a hair. Like half a mile per gallon in town and 1 mpg on the highway.

Also replaced an OEM Hyundai sensor with a Bosch, and never got the same fuel economy as with the OEM.

Maintenance helps for fuel economy, but the biggest adjustment is the nut behind the steering wheel.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
Thanks for the pictures.

I just got off the phone with NGK. They had called to say they only had one universal style sensor in stock. So I asked if they had 2 of the direct plug-in type and they said yes. So I changed my order and got the direct plug type. It will be easier and more reliable that way, but I think with enough heat shrink and tape I could have made it waterproof. And it is still a lot less than one new one from Dodge. And 2 NGK's cost only a little more than 1 Bosch. I just hope I get better MPG.

Thanks

I'm sure you will get better F.E. but it might not be over this tank of gas as the computer will have to readjust and the sensors may not be 100% accurate until a few heated/cool down cycles. (JME)

Much better choice than Botched (Bosch) IMO.
thumbsup2.gif

Steve

When you start your truck, the O2 sensors are not being used.
New ones will have no effect on any gas smell or mileage gains there.

If your replaced the O2s, any tailwind, subconscious driving alteration, etc., may show an increase.
Keep that in mind.

But in general, at 110,000, at only $30 each, it is a good maintenance thing to do.
You may go perfectly fine on the old ones for many tens of thousands of miles, though.
Testing an O2 is tough and vague, unless it is really bad..

Last edited:
Quote:
I also suspect that a lot of Bosch-bashers have no experience whatsover with Bosch.

I wouldn't call myself a basher but I've noticed bosch OEM and aftermarket to be of different quality. With 1-wire O2 sensors I've found NTK sensors to last longer than bosch.

Bosch OEM is very good quality.

Tom,

I'm not sure if you are referring to me... but I have first hand experience with multiple Bosch products and never have had any luck with any of them. I wouldn't comment on a product that I didn't feel strongly against.

There are other products mentioned on here that have done 0 for me or that I haven't tried so I don't comment on these, but when a product line such as Bosch (Botched in my mind) costs me money and unnecessary aggravation, I'm gonna post it here when warranted to help save someone else from the same nightmares... That's all.

cheers3.gif

Steve

A lot of OEM Ford parts are Bosch. And last a VERY long time.

-Fuel pumps in the panther cars
-O2 sensors
-Fuel Injectors
-Multiple sensors on EEC-IV vehicles (EEC-IV was co-developed with Bosch and Intel)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back