O2 sensors and increased MPG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the replies on this. My current MPG is down a bit from what it was a few months ago. I am in Florida so I have no idea if we get the "winter mix" gas like they do up north. I know some guys up there lose 20% or more MPG on winter gas. My truck used to average around 22 or 23 MPG in town and about 25 or 26 on the interstate. Now it seems like maybe 18 around town. I haven't been on any long trips on the interstate lately. When I first start it up it gives a smell like it is running too rich, for about 10 seconds then it goes away. I don't know if that has anything to do with an O2 sensor. It has no exhaust or vacuum leaks.

I am going to try a test and fill up this weekend, record the odometer reading, then fill up next weekend and calculate my actual mileage. I may just try a new set of plugs and 2 new upstream O2 sensors. I used a set of NGK V-Power plugs on my last tune-up, because I already had them on hand from tyring to resolve a problem I had with preignition about 2 years ago. Before that I had always run Autolite plugs and the truck performed great and I had good MPG. The NGK's have been in there since October, about 10,000 miles. I don't know if the plugs will make a difference but it won't cost much to find out. Plus I can get an idea of what's happening with my fuel mix by the condition of the plugs.

Thanks again for the help here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back