Bosch 0451103079 Oil Filter (for GM) C&P - 4500mi.

4,500 miles on this oil filter, pretty much took me through the fall and winter months on my 1996 Grand Prix (3.1L V6). This is the standard size 18mm x 1.5 thread filter found on tons of GM vehicles, think it's the PF47 equivalent size. Oil used was Harvest King Synthetic 5w-30.

Filter construction is better than most IMO. Thick can, pleat spacing darn near perfect. Other than the touch of waviness in the pleats, not much to complain about.

No bypass valve on this filter model, and strangely there was no ADBV either. I'm pretty sure most other PF47-sized filters I've used have had an ADBV. Probably not a big deal on this particular engine as the filter faces down at about a 45* angle. Ignore the metal specks everywhere, it's debris from cutting the can with an angle grinder, not from the engine.

Replaced with Mobil Super Syn 10w-30 and oversized (PF52-equiv) generic E-core filter (rockauto closeout.)

of02.jpg

of01.jpg

of1.jpg

of2.jpg

of03.jpg

of3.jpg

of04.jpg

of4.jpg

of05.jpg

Filter doesn’t look bad. Weird there is no ADBV. I use the Bosch 3323 on both my Mazda trucks occasionally I’ll run something else.

Thank you for the cut and post :)

Where did you get that German Bosch? :unsure:
It looks like a Mann but without an ADBV. I know those GM engines don't need a bypass in the filter because there's a bypass in the block.

Most Bosch-branded oil filters sold in the US are reboxed Purolators.

Thank you for the cut and post :)

Where did you get that German Bosch? :unsure:
It looks like a Mann but without an ADBV. I know those GM engines don't need a bypass in the filter because there's a bypass in the block.

Most Bosch-branded oil filters sold in the US are reboxed Purolators.

I got the German Bosch on Rockauto. It has to be at least 15 years old, I bought it for an ex-girlfriend's Cavalier around 2005-ish. I must have bought a bunch of them, because I've been using them on GM vehicles I've owned since then and still have a couple left.

It's worth noting that the media was in every bit as good condition as every other (much newer) used filter I've cut open.. It wasn't brittle and didn't give the appearance that it had deteriorated with age in any way.

Back