Boot wax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe a little off topic on a car forum but I figure they way we all analyze our auto fluids perhaps there are some people on here knowledgable on this topic. Just picked up two new pairs of boots and thinking about the best product to use to keep them Michigan winter ready.

1. Danner Recon. This are smooth, black full grain leather. In the past I have used Obenaufs LP extensively. Unfortunately this has seemed to over soften the leather although it's be a durable and highly effective water proofer. Sno-seal has also worked very well but seemed to cake on the surface and leave a lot of white residue even after heating. Nikwax leather wax has worked well but offers very poor durability. Surely there must be a better compromise. Currently looking at huberts boot grease and picar's but no experience woth either yet.

2. Matterhorn CV3494. These are insulated and goretex like the danners above but feather rough out full grain leather. I have limited experience here. Nikwax spray has proven largely ineffective in the past, as has silicone. 303 fabric guard has offered mild success. Any other suggestions? Obviously they won't bear water as much as smooth leather but I would like to minimize the amount of water absorbed and prevent staining.

hands down...sno seal.

pull laces and stick boots in oven on low setting. when hot pull a single boot and apply the sno seal...as it cools put it back in and get the other boot out.

i have treated my dirt bike, street bike, work, and hunting boots this way for years

I only have experience with Obenauf's HD LP and Sno Seal, I found that with both of them, it's easy to apply too much. I know some guys claim that you can't apply too much, and I guess that's still true when your only priority is to maintain waterproofness (which I admit is a worthy goal), but that I've had good luck with both of them for keeping the structure of a leather boot by not applying too much. Sometime this means having to apply more frequently, but that's helped prevent my boots from blooming residue out or making them too floppy.

My last few applications, I haven't even heated them, just clean and condition, rub in with my hands and let them sit on a warm day. What doesn't soak in, I wipe off.

I've only used spray type waterproofers on my rough out and suede shoes. It works ok at best, can't help you much there. I don't wear them in the winter, or even the rain.

Nice boots, by the way!

Originally Posted by oilpsi2high
Might sound ridiculous but I use Griots leather cleaner and conditioner spray.

When I worked for a chemical company we used to have a product that was oil based that cleaned stainless steel and I used that. Worked great, repelled water and smelled good. It wouldn't leave marks either if my leather shoe rubbed up on something for example. I tried it after a work colleague recommended it.

Now that I'm gone from there I just use a generic disposable leather shoe/boot wipe and they work really well and they are always at hand in the car to touch up my shoes in between calls to customers if I need them but typically I just wipe the shoes down maybe once per week.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by justintendo
hands down...sno seal.

pull laces and stick boots in oven on low setting. when hot pull a single boot and apply the sno seal...as it cools put it back in and get the other boot out.

i have treated my dirt bike, street bike, work, and hunting boots this way for years
Rub it into your laces too, it helps them last a lot longer on my work boots.

Originally Posted by buck91
2. Matterhorn CV3494. These are insulated and goretex like the danners above but feather rough out full grain leather. I have limited experience here. Nikwax spray has proven largely ineffective in the past, as has silicone. 303 fabric guard has offered mild success. Any other suggestions? Obviously they won't bear water as much as smooth leather but I would like to minimize the amount of water absorbed and prevent staining.

Just be careful of the sprays around the Goretex. Goretex works by having microscopic holes that breathe, letting moisture out but moderating heat loss. Conditioner sprays will plug up the holes and it becomes just another sweaty damp synthetic piece of plastic.

I buy a couple cans of camping equipment spray. Depending on the amount of snow and how often we get it, I might re-spray my boots three times during our four months of winter. I mainly use it for my daily long walks. Only one or two houses on every city block do not own a snow shovel or snow thrower. Most times I divert around those homes and walk past them using the plowed street instead.

Red Wing Leather Conditioner. Six ounces tub. $3.95. Must be at least thirty five years old. Wipe it on about two times a year. Good product.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies everyone. At this point I am eschewing the two waxes I have the most experience with, Obenauf's LP and Nikwax waterproofing wax for leather. The Obenauf's LP does work great but I have personally had it over-soften boots in the past as well as (despite not being terribly applicable to these stitch down Recons) cause glue delamination. The Nikwax just doesn't last very well and I don't want to reapply that frequently, although I do use it on other footwear. I have decided to try Huberd's Shoe Grease. Gets fantastic reviews and seems the THE direct competitor to Obenauf's. Slightly different consistency and uses pine tar instead of "propolis" although I do favor the alleged antimicrobial affects of Obenauf's working occasional EMS shifts. I'll try to snap and before and after pick once the Huberd's arrives from Amazon. I'll be interested in how it compares with my previous Obenauf's use.

As for the Matterhorn's, I just painted on 303 Fabric Guard and let it dry. Wearing them right now, actually. Very comfy for such a robust piece of footwear.

160833FD-135B-47F2-B9E9-AF9EC77320D0.jpeg

I use Obenaufs HD LP. Recently I tried their leather oil and do like the easier application. I can't comment on anything else as Obenaufs has never given me a reason to try anything else. My current set of boots, I asked the manufacturer (Nick's Boots) for a recommendation, and they sell their own dressing....which is relabeled Obenaufs so I figure I'm okay or now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back