Bonehead me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, I'm curious, anybody in this thread own a vehicle with a relatively small sump (like 4 quarts or less)?

I've posted the verbiage from my manuals, but these are all relatively large sumped engined, two of which have heat exchangers.

I'm curious as to whether the statement in the owners manual regarding top-up is different (perhaps more inclined toward keeping it near the full mark) for an engine sporting a smaller sump size
21.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Also, I'm curious, anybody in this thread own a vehicle with a relatively small sump (like 4 quarts or less)?

I've posted the verbiage from my manuals, but these are all relatively large sumped engined, two of which have heat exchangers.

I'm curious as to whether the statement in the owners manual regarding top-up is different (perhaps more inclined toward keeping it near the full mark) for an engine sporting a smaller sump size
21.gif

Not sure if this qualifies, but the manual in my son's 1990 Accord specifies 4 quarts with a filter change, although if the pan is dropped the total quantity is 5.2 US quarts. Anwyay, page 84 of the manual states: "If the level has dropped close to the lower mark, add oil until it is even with the upper mark."
Kevin

Both our '99 Legacy and our '12 Accord take 4.2 quarts with a filter change.
Both OMs recommend that oil be added near or below the add line.
Since I know better than either Subaru or Honda, both get 4.5 quarts when I change them.
LOL

Originally Posted By: philipp10

by some of the logic I have seen here, if I wanted to be really cheap, I would do my oil changes and fill it to just 1/4 quart above the bottom of the low range on my dipstick, then just keep it there thru the OCI. At the end, I would save 3/4 quart on every change. The flaw in the thinking is, I am then running about 18% low on my oil ALL the time. Therefore, would I not then have to reduce my OCI by 18%? In effect, keeping the sump full, especially topping off an oil burner should allow for longer OCI's, right?

That's an interesting theory but a few things:

1. The manufacturer specifies an initial fill capacity when you do an oil change. And then advises you ensure that the level is above the low mark or you add oil when you reach the low mark or you maintain the oil level between the marks depending on the verbiage in the manual. This is in-line with the discussion so far. Nobody has advocated a lower capacity initial fill in an attempt to save money, though it is a process used in some drag racing efforts (a quart low) to reduce windage and wring every last pony out of an engine. Of course that's not about saving money or oil though.

2. Most people don't do UOA's so they don't know how long they can safely run whatever oil they've chosen in the first place. So your 18% is 18% of a number that has no actual reference point.

3. Engine A and Engine B both the same make and model of engine in the same make and model of car can have very different consumption rates. If engine A consumes 2L per 8,000Km and engine B consumes 1L per 8,000Km then engine B should run a shorter OCI based on your logic here. But of course we know that's not the case. Oil consumption is what it is on a new engine and the recommended OCI is either a set mileage or follows an OLM, something that doesn't factor oil level into the equation (unless perhaps it is a new BMW that has the electronic oil level sensor).

4. Chronic oil burning engines are usually the least healthy; they have blow by and are constantly contaminating the oil with fuel and combustion byproducts negating at least some of the benefit of the frequent top-ups you are doing. As I noted in one of my earlier posts, the healthiest engines I've owned consume little to no oil between change intervals and analysis has shown that, despite the lack of top ups, that the lubricant is fit for continued use when I've changed it. Which brings us back to point 1.

5. In-line with your cost point, some engines are inclined to sip a bit of oil when it is at the max mark on the dipstick but once it gets down 1/2 a quart or so, the consumption slows significantly or stops (I believe an individual mentioned one of their cars does that in this thread, and that is not the first time I've heard it). This may be due to windage, sump design...etc. It doesn't really matter the cause, the point is that it happens. Now, if that person is inclined to keep the oil AT the full mark, and obsessively checks it, then they are going to be doing more frequent top-ups, using more oil, and subsequently costing themselves more money. If, on the other hand they were to let it get that 1/2 quart low and it stabilizes there and stays there for the OCI, that is a cost savings.

My whole point here is that the OEM will advocate a particular process. Many will follow that process. Some, who are perhaps more inclined to doing things their way, will not follow that process and ultimately end up no further ahead than those that do. If it makes them feel better, that's great. I'm not condemning the practice, but I see no tangible benefit over what the OEM advocates. What I do see is one detractor and that is that the more frequently you open that oil cap to top up, the higher the risk of introducing contaminants into the sump. I'm sure we are all quite anal about adding oil out of the wind, wiping off all the surfaces before we do....etc. But like with opening an intake tract, no matter how careful we are, some foreign debris is going to enter. Is it significant? Probably not. But something to consider
smile.gif

For the sake of argument here, let’s compare 2 cars. Car 1 has a 5 quart sump. Car 2 has 500 quart sump (yes, 100x as much). Now if I run both cars 10K miles and do an oil analysis, what do you suppose I would find? Car 1 with the small sump would have X% contaminates in the oil. Would not car 2 have X% contaminates divided by 100? Therefore wouldn’t the OCI of car 2 be 100x the OCI of car 1?

Keeping the sump full effectively extends the OCI due to more oil per contaminates. How can it not be true?

Last edited:
For the sake of argument here, let’s compare 2 cars. Car 1 has a 5 quart sump. Car 2 has 500 quart sump (yes, 100x as much). Now if I run both cars 10K miles and do an oil analysis, what do you suppose I would find? Car 1 with the small sump would have X% contaminates in the oil. Would not car 2 have X% contaminates divided by 100? Therefore wouldn’t the OCI of car 2 be 100x the OCI of car 1?

Keeping the sump full effectively extends the OCI due to more oil per contaminates. How can it not be true?

A flaw in this logic is that the sump with 500 quarts would never get up to operating temperature, and might well have a problem with sludge......Or at least, wear....Since the oil would not be in the optimum operating range.

There are problems with too much oil, as there are with too little. The engineer compromises to try to cover all bases.

Toyota had a problem with sludge a little over a decade ago. Newer engines from them tended to have somewhat smaller sumps, apparently in an effort to get the oil up to temp, and keep it there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog

A flaw in this logic is that the sump with 500 quarts would never get up to operating temperature, and might well have a problem with sludge......Or at least, wear....Since the oil would not be in the optimum operating range.

There are problems with too much oil, as there are with too little. The engineer compromises to try to cover all bases.

Toyota had a problem with sludge a little over a decade ago. Newer engines from them tended to have somewhat smaller sumps, apparently in an effort to get the oil up to temp, and keep it there.

ok, but disregarding the temperature concerns....

21.gif

2002 Toyota ECHO Owners Manual
3.9 L capacity

ECHO%20oil_zps5ngkyuds.jpg

The point is.....You cannot disregard any single concern. There are a variety of parameters that the designer needs to stay within. One always effects at least a couple of others. compromise is something that engineers work within, on everything they do.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
The point is.....You cannot disregard any single concern. There are a variety of parameters that the designer needs to stay within. One always effects at least a couple of others. compromise is something that engineers work within, on everything they do.

But that was not the point of my post. The point being, in a 5 qt sump, is the extra quart good? Or is it bad?

In theory, if we disregard everything else that is a real world contributing factor, yes. But of course we can't do that.

- Different usage profiles will yield different contamination rates

- Two "identical" engines of course aren't. Engine A may have more fuel dilution compared to engine B. It may have more blowby and subsequently a higher contamination rate. It may shed more Fe than it or other metals. That may be its "profile".

- As already mentioned by another poster, oil temperature plays a key role. The ability for the engine to get the oil temperature high enough to evaporate off fuel and water. This can be a detriment with a larger sump operated in cooler temperatures as the oil may never get up to temperature and will be thinned and its additive package diluted by fuel. This can also result in a false reading on the dipstick, as the fuel and moisture ingress will artificially elevate the oil level.

The only way to truly know how long a lubricant is fit for service is to analyze it. This is a cost that doesn't make sense for most people as well of course as a major inconvenience. This is why cars now have OLM's (which are generally conservative) and historically simply had a mileage based interval that was also conservative.

Large sumps are a necessity in some applications. Ones that can heat the oil excessively, even when equipped with an oil cooler for example. This applies to high performance high power density applications.

They are also of benefit in OTR truck applications where you do want to extend the intervals as far as possible because downtime and oil changes are costly. This is also where oil analysis makes sense as it is significantly cheaper than an oil change on one of these rigs. The same goes for stationary power equipment which hold significant quantities of lubricant. These engines are also operated for extended periods of time, so sump temperature is less of a concern. Which brings up another interesting point: You can have two rigs with the same powertrain running the same lubricant and they may track differently via UOA requiring different change intervals. Consumption may factor in there, but it may not be the higher consumption engine that gets the longer interval.

As noted, it is all a compromise designed to cover all the bases regarding operating profile, conditions, anticipated minimum and maximum temperatures, the lubricant in use.....etc.

We can "what if" the situation as many different ways as you like, but it must be assumed that the engineers who designed it already factored that in.

21.gif

3.49 US qt. capacity in my 2014 Accent

25ulc79.jpg

2vnhr8j.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back