Bolt extractor and max torque?

I have received the Helicoil kit for M10 that I ordered a few days ago. The supplied drill bit has a diameter of 10.29mm. Will this size work or should I go smaller because I'm drilling into aluminum and not into steel?

It's done. The procedure went smoothly and without any complications. My nephew got his car back. The only thing that had me worried was the drill possibly or likely walking when drilling for the tap. I worked my way up slowly to the tap drill size. I made sure to drill deep enough so I could tap to a depth of 1" with my plug tap. Tapping was super-easy. I used engine oil as cutting fluid. I cleaned out the freshly cut threads thoroughly with brake cleaner. Installing the Helicoil was also very easy. I snapped off the tang. I test-threaded the bolt a few turns by hand do get a feel for how easily the bolt would engage the threads in the Helicoil. I installed the pendulum mount. Will have to wait and see if it holds up. Thanks for all the suggestions and advice.

Tapping the threads for the Helicoil

The tapped threads

Installing the Helicoil

The installed Helicoil

Checking how easily the bolt threads into the Helicoil
'

The pendulum mount has been installed The second bolt from the left was the one that had snapped. It snappoed because the bolt to the far left had come undone about 1/4" and that put too much force on the other bolt.
best image hosting

Back