Body ground strap broken on truck bed

I'd imagine someone removed the bed at some point probably to access the sending unit in the fuel tank and forgot about that ground strap. What does it do anyways?

As it says - it grounds the bed to the rest of the truck. Because the bed is likely on rubber body mounts - so its insulated without it? I think?

I presume the bed has the rear lights in it - so presumably its grounded in some other manner - if there working?

As it says - it grounds the bed to the rest of the truck. Because the bed is likely on rubber body mounts - so its insulated without it? I think?

I presume the bed has the rear lights in it - so presumably its grounded in some other manner - if there working?
There may be other grounds. That's the only one I noticed that was broken

If you noticed something broken, why not fix it? I am quite willing to bet that the manufacturer of the truck put it on there because the truck needed it. A ground strap is a couple bucks and a few minutes of time. Throw a new one on there.
Would have to go to a junk yard. Probably for the gas trucks now that I think about it to prevent static electricity

Would have to go to a junk yard. Probably for the gas trucks now that I think about it to prevent static electricity
I wouldn’t use a junkyards strap. I’ve replaced many ground straps that are toast. I get them on Amazon. Pick the length and eyelet size you need. For example:

The Amazon route works as @Astro14 mentions. I have used those type too.

Honestly baling wire will work for some period of time - dependent on how much salt you have.

The Amazon route works as @Astro14 mentions. I have used those type too.

Honestly baling wire will work for some period of time - dependent on how much salt you have.
In my “hardware store” - a set of organizers that sit on my shop workbench - there is a drawer of common size ground straps. I find bad ones from time to time on the cars I own and replace them preemptively - before they break, taking care to clean the attachment points, and then to hit those points with a bit of paint, or metal protect, once the new strap is installed.

Last edited:
The 'box-to-frame' braided ground strap in my truck turned into red/green powder.
I keep lengths of green insulated wire for this very reason. I alwys add any omitted grounds to home wiring too.
Joe Safety here, as you know.
In the case of my twuck, I salvaged the ring ends as they were of quality.
That's me being 'Thrifty Joe-with time on his hands-saving money.

Inspect the other ones while you're at it.
I mentioned my crumbled ground strap here and on the Ranger boards and asked everyone if there was a usual list of other locations.
I've always known of an 'engine-to-firewall' strap and mine was sound.
People here told me to add 'em wherever I want....thanks a lot, I thought (sarcasm).

When I was the parts putz at a Dodge dealership, the number of warranty jobs involving mounting electrics on painted firewalls was staggering.
The dogs dirt cheap flexible circuit bords behind the instruments was another "gold star" for "The Engineering Company".
That period of decline in our automotive industry, 1970 through to the end of the Century, was lame and sad.
Good thing the Japanese showed us how to build 'em right....even though the industry -and some consumers- was beyond slow to learn.

We gotta tell these clowns/thieves what's important, people.

OP, if you live in the salt belt, consider replacing the braided copper ground strap with a similar length negative (-) battery cable. The battery cable will have the black vinyl insulation to protect the wire conductor strands from rapid corrosion. Eric O at South Main Auto in NY does this upgrade at the 33 minute mark in the video below.

Back