BMW ZF 8-speed automatic transmission oil change

Facendo questo tipo di manutenzione, la parte piu dificile e di saper fare la ricarica. Consiglio di portare la vostra vettura ad una azienda che conosce bene la procedura.
I guess as you say, the most important operation is the oil refill. I will try to ask some mechanics if they have already done this job.

This is the procedure described on the ZF website

The peculiarity is the need to control the oil temperature. Is this detected by the ECU or does it need a measuring tool?

I guess as you say, the most important operation is the oil refill. I will try to ask some mechanics if they have already done this job.

The peculiarity is the need to control the oil temperature. Is this detected by the ECU or does it need a measuring tool?
You'll need a scan tool of some sort. Enet cable with Ista or OBD2 bluetooth adapter with Bimmerlink

Esatto. Hai bisogno di misurare la temperatura dell'olio durante la ricarica con un "scanner", non so come dirlo in italiano.

what you wrote is flawless! do you mean a remote infrared thermometer with the word "scanner"?
1655415239441.jpg

I have always done the oil and filters replacement of my BMW but I don't think I can do the oil change of the automatic gearbox by myself, but not even a generic workshop.

I watched some videos and a specific equipment is needed to insert fresh oil while the old one is removed. Probably because automatic transmissions are not so widespread in Italy.

On the website from which I usually buy auto parts: The oil pan costs about 100 €
The original ZF LifeGuardFluid 8 oil costs € 35 per liter
The oil compatible with ATF 8HP viscosity costs 25-29 € per liter
I am a do it yourself type guy (I work on my ram pickup truck and VW at home). Lots of good information here. It’s not difficult to service your own ZF HP70 transmission. You’ll need good jacks stands, a hydraulic floor jack, and some hand tools (torx 40 bit and ratchet, 8mm hex bolt (to remove old drain plug, another hex wrench to remove fill plug). Lots of videos online available. I just did mine and used the Valvoline MaxLife multi vehicle ATF at a fraction of the price. Look into the PPE aluminum pans. They hold more fluid and have a filter that can be changed later. A simple hand pump will put fresh fluid into the transmission after new pan/filter is installed.

Attachments

• IMG_2509.jpg
    IMG_2509.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 25
Go buy yourself a cheap OBDii bluetooth plug-in module from ebay and download the TorquePro app on your app store and you should be able to read your trans temp.

Go buy yourself a cheap OBDii bluetooth plug-in module from ebay and download the TorquePro app on your app store and you should be able to read your trans temp.
Right, great advice.

I proceed to order an OBD II bluetooth plug-in module and download the application.

Last question, in the instructions on the procedure, after having reinserted the oil, the procedure differs according to the gearbox version.

How do I know which version I have? :unsure:

Hi everyone, I've watched a lot of videos on Youtube and actually, the oil change is done as you explained to me, quite simply.

The only exception is this video:
even if he speaks in Italian what he does you understand it anyway

What do you think?

I noticed that some kits include this:

OEN 24 14 7 588 896 — BMW
OEN 7 588 896 — BMW

do you think it should be changed or not?

Back