BMW Synthetic 5w30 - 16,817 mi - 2007 750i

Status
Not open for further replies.

jca

I thought this one would be interesting since I don't see many (or any) OCI's this high. CBS data in the vehicle indicated 3000mi remaining when this sample was taken. I wasn't willing to trust it that far beyond 15k, but the data seems to show it was pretty much on the money. I went with Mobil 1 0w40 and Mann filter for this change because of the deal at Napa, but I may go back to the BMW oil and Hengst filter next time since it worked so well. This car is driven about 95% highway which must help support an OCI this high.

Comments: From what we can tell, your Condition Based Service monitor has a pretty good feel for when to change the oil.
Wear metals are all very close to averages, showing no evidence of any problems after 16,817 miles on this oil. Just
how close metals were to averages was pretty amazing considering that averages for BMW's N62 are based on about
7,200 miles on the oil. The viscosity was quite high for 5W/30 oil, but that wasn't a problem. The TBN still showed
plenty of active additive at 2.1. A TBN is low at 1.0. Try the CBS to zero and then check back to monitor.
Code:
MI/HR on Oil 16,817

MI/HR on Unit 62,866

Sample Date 6/24/2011

Make Up Oil 0 AVERAGES

ALUMINUM 5 5

CHROMIUM 0 0

IRON 15 14

COPPER 4 5

LEAD 1 2

TIN 0 1

MOLYBDENUM 181 127

NICKEL 4 0

MANGANESE 5 3

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 0 0

POTASSIUM 0 4

BORON 60 52

SILICON 4 5

SODIUM 15 9

CALCIUM 2366 2215

MAGNESIUM 19 142

PHOSPHORUS 903 824

ZINC 1286 1025

BARIUM 0 0

PROPERTIES

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 72.0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 13.49

Flashpoint in °F 370

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0.0

Water % 0.0

Insolubles % 0.2

TBN 2.1

That is a thick 5w30! Almost seems too thick but I don't know the specs of BMW oil, sure looks like it was protecting well, so nice engine, sweet car and thanks for posting!

It seems like for every report that demonstrates the accuracy of a BMW CBS interval, there is one that shows the CBS is way off.

Looks like the SUS and cSt values are reversed, but may have thickened some. Nice wear control though. If you are going to run OCI's this long or longer, I recommend that you get more data from the lab (TAN, Ox, Nit, V40C, Vindx). That would help to tell the rest of the story.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
That is a thick 5w30! Almost seems too thick but I don't know the specs of BMW oil,

This oil starts out around 12 cSt. This one has obviously thickened up some, which is very typical for an oil to do during such long OCI. The report seems very good, but I would like to see the TAN value. I had mine tested at 10K miles and the lab already recommended I change it because of a creeping up TAN value.

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
Looks like the SUS and cSt values are reversed

Yes they are, cut and paste from the pdf was pretty ugly and took a while to clean up. I would have gotten TAN except I didn't know anything about it and it's not on Blackstone's service request form. Maybe next time.

Thanks for the feedback from everyone.

Originally Posted By: jca
Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
Looks like the SUS and cSt values are reversed

Yes they are, cut and paste from the pdf was pretty ugly and took a while to clean up. I would have gotten TAN except I didn't know anything about it and it's not on Blackstone's service request form. Maybe next time.

Thanks for the feedback from everyone.

I write "Add TAN" in the comments part and that gets the job done.

Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
How much oil does this car hold?

8L, roughly 8.5qt.

That is a thick 5w30! Almost seems too thick but I don't know the specs of BMW oil, sure looks like it was protecting well, so nice engine, sweet car and thanks for posting!

Wow, that IS a nice report AND did you SEE how low the Si was?!
crazy2.gif

PS: I'd like to see a picture of the valve-train area.
bowdown.gif

That is a thick 5w30! Almost seems too thick but I don't know the specs of BMW oil,

Starting viscosity is around 12 cSt.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
^Does it mean that the interval was too long then, to have it thicken up?

I don't think that by itself is a problem and is probably unavoidable at 15k+. High wear metals or depleted TBN would be what to look for if the OCI was too high. It was reaching the end of its life to be sure but was still working very well.

I won't pull the valve covers to get a pic
laugh.gif
but I opened the fill cover today and the cam and timing chain look pristine like it was just assembled. I'll try to get a pic of it tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back