BMW N52 - highly stressed engine- oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a BMW with the N52 (2.5L L6, NON-turbo, NON-DI) pulling a camping trailer. 65k miles on engine. Well maintained. Good working order. Hardly any consumption.

The car will be used to tow a camping trailer across the USA on a trip this coming winter. We will cover approx 20,000 miles overall. The engine is somewhat underpowered and is forced to run in 5th gear on flat land, 4th on inclines, and 3rd when climbing any grades. 60mph max, usually 55mph. Somedays it will be running like this for 10-15hrs per day. Very stressed motor indeed.

I'm thinking that a heavier oil would best be suited for this application. Maybe an HDEO. Up to now it's run GC 0W-30 exclussively. BMW 10W-60 maybe?

Being away from home, I would prefer to do an oil change at approx. 6-10k miles and no sooner.

Price of oil is not really a consideration. What are your recommendations?

T6 or probably almost any XW40 changed at reasonable intervals would fine, mobil 1 0W40 is available everywhere too. I'm curious about T5 15W40 as it still had decent cold weather starting specs, but should have less VII compared to T6.
I ran my Tracker pretty hard towing a heavy uhaul to manitoba and back just on iffy lube "5W30" 200k km ago with no long term effects either, before I discovered BITOG. We had a few 10 minute stretches of 3rd gear 5k rpm going up a grade into a strong headwind on the interstate. Overall it was kind of fun as you actually had to drive and plan ahead.
If you don't have a scanguage or ultra gauge, it might be a good idea as you can monitor real engine temps, timing advance, voltage, etc. just for your piece of mind, and you can actually see how hard you are running it.

Thank you all for the quick replies. Cold weather characteristics of the oil are not all that important as we are heading south predominantly, and the weather there in Winter is quite balmy.

I'm leaning towards a heavier oil as the motor runs at MINIMUM 3k RPM and about half throttle. It's quite stressful on the engine and gives it all it's got on inclines.

I have considered the scan gauge, as the cooling system on these engines can be a weak link. Being that there is no temperature gauge in the cluster, I think it would be a wise investment.

20k mile trip? Wow, that's a heck of a lot of seat time. Good luck!

I second the suggestion of M1 0W-40, even though you won't need the 0W rating. It's still the best overall price/performance value in Euro spec oils unless the Castrol 0W-40 is on roll back.

You plan on posting here when you're due for a change and see if any good BITOGers volunteer their services?

I wouldn't run the HDEO in the N52.

Mobil 1 0W40 or Pennzoil Euro 5W40 would be my choice. If you feel like something extra is needed, give the TWS 10W60 as you suggested.

Or possibly Red Line 5W40. This oil has a low NOACK, high HTHS, and would have the higher viscosity you are seeking.

Is your BMW an automatic or manual? If an automatic, that would be the component that I would be most concerned with. Might be a good time to perform a drain and fill with the proper fluid.

Originally Posted By: Paul
Thank you all for the quick replies. Cold weather characteristics of the oil are not all that important as we are heading south predominantly, and the weather there in Winter is quite balmy.

I'm leaning towards a heavier oil as the motor runs at MINIMUM 3k RPM and about half throttle. It's quite stressful on the engine and gives it all it's got on inclines.

I would run SAE 30wt. Extreme long distance driving across the south makes it perfect for this application.

I have no particular problem with HDEO, and I've run it in my older cars and BMWs. However, PQI tested Rotella T6, and NOACK was almost 13%. It might be fine, but I don't see what T6 offers for your application that Pennzoil Euro 5W40 or Mobil 1 0w40 won't provide.

Sounds like you are good to go with the trans and diff fluids! Did you use MTL or D6 atf in the manual transmission?

Originally Posted By: Paul
Drtyler: Why not HDEO in the engine?

Manual 6spd transmission running Red Line fluid. Differential has Red Line 75-140

Use any LL-01 and MB 229.5 and Porsche A40 engine oil out there you find. M1 0w-40 or Castrol of that flavor is the best you can do.

Its used in IndyCars to race, as well as other race applications too.

Then don't skimp on oil filters. Get a Fram Ultra at wallYmart for extra filtration.

No thanks on the Fram Ultra. In addition to being very overpriced ($24 at WalMart), we have this:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3434977/Fram_Ultra_FAILURE

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Use any LL-01 and MB 229.5 and Porsche A40 engine oil out there you find. M1 0w-40 or Castrol of that flavor is the best you can do.

Its used in IndyCars to race, as well as other race applications too.

Then don't skimp on oil filters. Get a Fram Ultra at wallYmart for extra filtration.

Vehicle is long out of warranty, so LL-01 oils are not required.

Transmission has Redline D6.

Oil filter has always been, and likely always will be, OEM BMW cartridge filter.

My understanding is that OW-40 oils will shear faster, than a 5w-40 or 15w-40. Since I want to run a somewhat extended drain interval, under very-extreme conditions, I think a stable, shear-resistant, thicker oil would be best. But what do I know??

Thank you all for the suggestions.

About the Fram Ultra doubters, notice the "failure" was discredited. Wire backed media with a BMW center tube meant the Ultra stayed in place. Its the way the housing is designed. At least some people noticed that. Go to that thread if you want to discuss the strength of BMW's housing tube and end mountings. Not in this forum.

So the OP will only use a BMW oil filter, but is willing to go off-spec with oil now? Does he really think LL-01- MB229.5 can be improved on? Surely he must not have ever read about those qual tests. I guess some people think LL-01 is about the same level as getting an SN certification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back