BMW is in the game.

Well, I might own one, in not so near future since as long as they make inline 6 engines I will own one. However, things are getting interesting :

It will be interesting to see some standardized real-world range tests. Mat Watson got 183 miles in the video - but also was doing some Autobahn runs.

Looks like the lower power i4 eDrive 40 gets significantly more range than this M50. That could be a great choice is it really gets close to the 300mi BMW EPA estimate.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see some standardized real-world range tests. Mat Watson got 183 miles in the video - but also was doing some Autobahn runs.

Yeah. What is indicative is that 0-60 acceleration is exactly as M3 competition, which probably mean BMW “dialed” down I4.

Looks like the lower power i4 eDrive 40 gets significantly more range than this M50. That could be a great choice is it really gets close to the 300mi BMW EPA estimate.

But is that grille for real?!?

I loved the styling of BMW, MB, Saab, and Volvo, when they all had consistent and unique styling.
I love my 135i.

I dont think the styling of the car in the video is good…

And there are lots of other fast EVs on the market or coming soon…

I loved the styling of BMW, MB, Saab, and Volvo, when they all had consistent and unique styling.
I love my 135i.

I agree.
BMW may finally be catching up to the rest of the competition with a performance EV, but it's styling still isn't doing it any favors.

I'm getting used to the big grille, at least on the iX and i4 (having seen both in the flesh).

In the context of a large vehicle like the iX, it doesn't stand out as much, given that others in that size range also have similarly large grilles, if not larger in some cases (seen the maw on the new Lexus LX?).

I can also accept it on the i4, because it's in a "different" class where the i models have been more avant garde in their styling.

That said, it's horrible on the 4/M3/M4, where it's disproportional to the rest of the design, and the existence of the regular 3 only reminds you how bad it looks in comparison.

BMW designs are all over the place, and not in a good way, with the worst aside from the grille being the ill-proportioned and blandly generic 2GC, which could be mistaken for any number of Asian econocars if it didn't have the kidneys and badges.

(The flip side to that is where every Mercedes is seemingly a scaled version of one another, and they've apprarently taken inspiration for their new EQ BEV line from even more rounder and symmetrical bars of soap than usual.)

The new 2 coupe comes closest to a traditional BMW, but the proportions of the lights fixtures are off, particularly in the rear.

And, another unfortunate, but all too common trait of recent BMWs -- they're fat -- including the i4. The new 2 could have represented salvation for its traditional customers, but there's little reason a compact 2-door should weigh 3500 lbs in 4-cyl guise. The M240 with AWD is almost 3900 lbs. The forthcoming RWD version isn't going to improve on that much. Both also lack manual transmissions.

There was a time when one didn't need to buy the M cars, or their special editions, for basic things like manual transmissions and svelte proportions. The desirable things that made them stand out were inherent, and present from the top to the bottom of the line. But those days are long gone.

In many respects, the i4 and iX are more appealing than the rest of the line. They're not perfect, but get a little slack as early attempts at new recipes. For a lot of the rest, the company has lost their old cookbook, if not the plot.

Last week a variety of new BMW’s came off a ship … we drove by slow and I‘d say a forth of them had oversized versions of the dual BMW grills …

I love my 135i.

Yep. Allegedly it was done because BMW wanted room and a central location for future placement of sensors and such.

My wife likes the new grill. I do not, but I'm a dinosaur in terms of being a customer. BMW needs younger wealthy buyers who are essentially only interested in being able to watch YouTube videos while they ride around town rather than Teutonic styling and excellent driving dynamics.

Yep. Allegedly it was done because BMW wanted room and a central location for future placement of sensors and such.

My wife likes the new grill. I do not, but I'm a dinosaur in terms of being a customer. BMW needs younger wealthy buyers who are essentially only interested in being able to watch YouTube videos while they ride around town rather than Teutonic styling and excellent driving dynamics.
Let’s not forget that BMW has narrow long vertical grills throughout history.
But, IMO they could do better job integrating it in.

I'm getting used to the big grille, at least on the iX and i4 (having seen both in the flesh).

In the context of a large vehicle like the iX, it doesn't stand out as much, given that others in that size range also have similarly large grilles, if not larger in some cases (seen the maw on the new Lexus LX?).

I can also accept it on the i4, because it's in a "different" class where the i models have been more avant garde in their styling.

That said, it's horrible on the 4/M3/M4, where it's disproportional to the rest of the design, and the existence of the regular 3 only reminds you how bad it looks in comparison.

BMW designs are all over the place, and not in a good way, with the worst aside from the grille being the ill-proportioned and blandly generic 2GC, which could be mistaken for any number of Asian econocars if it didn't have the kidneys and badges.

(The flip side to that is where every Mercedes is seemingly a scaled version of one another, and they've apprarently taken inspiration for their new EQ BEV line from even more rounder and symmetrical bars of soap than usual.)

The new 2 coupe comes closest to a traditional BMW, but the proportions of the lights fixtures are off, particularly in the rear.

And, another unfortunate, but all too common trait of recent BMWs -- they're fat -- including the i4. The new 2 could have represented salvation for its traditional customers, but there's little reason a compact 2-door should weigh 3500 lbs in 4-cyl guise. The M240 with AWD is almost 3900 lbs. The forthcoming RWD version isn't going to improve on that much. Both also lack manual transmissions.

There was a time when one didn't need to buy the M cars, or their special editions, for basic things like manual transmissions and svelte proportions. The desirable things that made them stand out were inherent, and present from the top to the bottom of the line. But those days are long gone.

In many respects, the i4 and iX are more appealing than the rest of the line. They're not perfect, but get a little slack as early attempts at new recipes. For a lot of the rest, the company has lost their old cookbook, if not the plot.
I think “fatness “ comes from the fact that CLAR is modular between ICE and EV. But, I 100% agree. There is no excuse for 2 series to be that heave although G20 drives much better than F30 which is lighter.
This is the most stubborn German company. They ditched manual like nothing, yet stick to some stuff that no one ever liked. I get that % of people buying stick is like 5% but they were the one selling highest amount of manuals of all manufacturers.

the new 3 and 4 series are very sharp looking, especially the M cars

they haven’t made anything that looked this good since the 2001 M3 and 05 M5

As hideous as the grill is, I'm just glad they made an EV that looks like a regular car and not a space ship.
Yeah. And from other tests one can see where know-how comes to play. It is not oversteering monster like Tesla that makes up lap times through sheer power. Weight is distributed in classic BMW manner. Probably they can shed off some 500lbs moving to strictly EV platform, but for what it is, it is good start.

The grotesquely oversized grills on the new BMW's has people referring to them as the "butt face" models. With a different three letter word used instead of butt.
BMW is on the right track if they can market EV's with a 300 mile range. However, I believe that the "sweet spot" for EV's is going to be a 400 mile range with up to 600 miles in the not so distant future for the premium versions. When we see several models from different manufacturers available for a sub-$30k price and a 400 mile range with a 15 minute charge time to go from 20% to 80% charge, the EV market is going to really explode. And I think that will be by 2024 or 2025. Any automaker who isn't on the way there already is going to be out of the running.

This is what happens if you mix a BMW and a Lexus front end

B812F94D-C679-4246-A99D-3E732DF85705.jpeg

EV’s are a lot more boring than gas cars. I won’t even look at the video, all about the same thing. Neck snapping acceleration, almost no sounds, battery ranges, it just is very uninteresting already. To me at least.

That Beemer will make a lotta people really happy. Heck, I can see all the Silicon Valley real estate agents driving them any day now...
That car will be a serious blast to drive! Bring your checkbook!

Let’s not forget that BMW has narrow long vertical grills throughout history.
But, IMO they could do better job integrating it in.
Yes just like the old pre-war 328. However, the keyword is "narrow" and the front plate was mounted off to the side beneath the head lamps. I'd also like to point out the fact that the kidneys were round vs the trapezoidal abomination of today. The front of i-vision concept (circ 2017) looks ok because you just have the outline of the kidneys. You see it but it's not smacking you in the face. A

e3547e067bdb8fc2389891f0fc4bc5fb.jpg

2021-bmw-m4-26.jpg

bmw-328-hommage-front-side.jpg

7e1d00c2a9b3740e023902ee364c22a2.jpg

bmw-i4-2022-03-exterior-front-grey.jpg

Last edited:
Back