2023 bmw m3 s58, 4000 mile bmw tpt 0w30 LL-01 FE

Just got my results from blackstone, engine had 5200 miles on it at the time of the oil change and the oil had 4000 miles on it. I'd like to see what the oil looks like after 10000 miles as bmw recommends but not sure i want to go that far between changes since i mostly do short 15min drives to work and a few long ones across the city. Will be doing my own oil change between the free ones from bmw.
I put in motul specific ll-01 fe 0w30 this time and will sample that right before i go in for the free oil change and compare it to bmw's tpt oil.
Also should be getting the voa on that motul specific ll-01 fe 0w30 any day now.

Blackstone oil analysis 23 M3-231023.jpg

Unfortunately here one has no real idea whether it mechanically sheared the VM or it has fuel dilution or it is a faulty analysis. In that regard it’s useless.

One might guess from the flash point it’s fuel dilution.

Just got my results from blackstone, engine had 5200 miles on it at the time of the oil change and the oil had 4000 miles on it. I'd like to see what the oil looks like after 10000 miles as bmw recommends but not sure i want to go that far between changes since i mostly do short 15min drives to work and a few long ones across the city. Will be doing my own oil change between the free ones from bmw.
I put in motul specific ll-01 fe 0w30 this time and will sample that right before i go in for the free oil change and compare it to bmw's tpt oil.
Also should be getting the voa on that motul specific ll-01 fe 0w30 any day now.

View attachment 192743
How long did you run the engine before taking the sample?

To get normalized results use the engine normally. Then take a sample right after shutdown. Walmart has thick leather gloves for just this purpose. :)

10 minutes or 15 is the same as 5 minutes in my opinion.

I always found it odd that since API SP formulation change BMW's full SAPS dealer fill is basically mid SAPS ZDDP levels.

Many bmw now are PZEV, one of the reasons is to protect high efficiency cats, so they went with lower saps oil. There is a complex of reasons everyone went with weak additive packages

Many bmw now are PZEV, one of the reasons is to protect high efficiency cats, so they went with lower saps oil. There is a complex of reasons everyone went with weak additive packages
BMW engines are using Low-SAPS oils since 2004 depending on the market. Since 2009 ALL gas engines in EU used Low-SAPS LL04. The reason they didn’t in the US was high sulphur content in gasoline.

This does not explain the ZDDP levels of the LL01FE oils. BMW has many low/mid SAPS standards. LL01 is the high SAPS. This engine is specified for high SAPS in North America.

Back