BMW F30 Broken Coolant Overflow Hose

My 2013 F30 335 "let loose" the other day when I came back from running some errands. I saw steam coming out of the front, driver's side wheel well and a lot of clear fluid was leaking out from below the engine bay. The fluid was very thin and had a slight slippery feel to it. I tracked it down to a broken coolant overflow hose, as can be seen in the following pictures:

20210717_181718732_iOS.jpg

20210715_183620449_iOS.jpg

20210715_183638539_iOS.jpg

I plan to have the vehicle towed to my local independent mechanic so that they can look at it Monday. Though before I do that, the hose looks relatively simple to remove and replace. Is that and topping off the coolant all that may be needed? Given the amount of fluid loss, I was kind of guessing that my mechanic may need to drain/flush/fill the cooling system to restore it back to proper operating condition.

Cool! I found the part number for the hose I need - 17128570061 - and it appears to be inexpensive and readily available for some different sources. (e.g. $36 from FCP Euro) Will I need to bleed the air out of the system after filling with coolant? I'm not sure how to do that on this vehicle and will have to look up how to do that.

Cool! I found the part number for the hose I need - 17128570061 - and it appears to be inexpensive and readily available for some different sources. (e.g. $36 from FCP Euro) Will I need to bleed the air out of the system after filling with coolant? I'm not sure how to do that on this vehicle and will have to look up how to do that.
I believe it is a pressurized system, if so, it is a good idea to "burp" the system through a lower radiator hose by squeezing it while the coolant cap is off. I would not take chances of the system self bleeding.

Bleeding a BMW cooling system is entirely dependent upon the model. My E34 M60 was self bleeding but not all are.

Also in this case, it’s not just the tube that’s broken, correct? You have to get that other part as well.

In fact it’s not even actually the tube that is broken, if you could somehow pull that piece of nipple out of the tube you could reuse it?

Also in this case, it’s not just the tube that’s broken, correct? You have to get that other part as well.

In fact it’s not even actually the tube that is broken, if you could somehow pull that piece of nipple out of the tube you could reuse it?
How would you reuse a broken plastic fitting?

Funny how previous generations of the same fitting have been doing pretty much the same thing for 30 years. BUT, the part is cheap, and the bleed procedure couldn't be easier. This is a very minor thing.

Ironically, BMWs don't need to ever have the coolant changed because something always breaks and it gets topped up. That's been my experience of driving these for 24 years, anyway.

norma and other plastic quick connect fittings save time and more importantly lots of weight over traditional rubber hoses in cooling and emissions systems.

Back