BMW 3.0d 0/30 or 5/30 for best protection?.

Hi, I have had two BMW 3.0 diesels over the last 12 years and I have managed to put great mileages on them with regular maintenance.
The oil spec was always 5/30 LL04 but a while back BMW changed to the 0/30 on the later models to try and help fuel consumption.

I have just bought a 2019 X5 30d with the B57 motor, the car is probably running the 0/30 but when I start to do my own maintenance I was considering using 5/30, just wondered what your views were on it?.

Hi, I have had two BMW 3.0 diesels over the last 12 years and I have managed to put great mileages on them with regular maintenance.
The oil spec was always 5/30 LL04 but a while back BMW changed to the 0/30 on the later models to try and help fuel consumption.

I have just bought a 2019 X5 30d with the B57 motor, the car is probably running the 0/30 but when I start to do my own maintenance I was considering using 5/30, just wondered what your views were on it?.
The difference is not noticeable. Pick either one. However, if BMW is saying 0w-30 then use it. Problem is some oils don't show us all the details we need like HT/HS & NOACK for example. Just pick a reputable name brand product that meets the spec & grade.

I would do the same, see my sig. Many 5W are a tad stouter and come with
lower Noack numbers compared to their 0W stablemates. You won't notice
any fuel savings with 0W anyway.

Run LL04 5W30 in UK. No need for 0W30.
Mobil1 ESP 5W30.

You're in the UK!

Go buy 5 litres of Fuchs Titan GT1 XTL Flex 3 5w40. It carries BMW LL04 approval along with some of the most stringent approvals out there like VW 511 and Porsche C40. You can pick it up as cheap as £30 for 5 litres or £100 for 20 litres. It's my one-size-fits-all oil at the moment.

Reactions: hpb
I am just about to buy a 20L drum of oil for future services.

Have any of you tried Fuchs GT1 Pro C3 5/30?.
Fuchs actually make the VW Quantum Long Life 3 5/30 and it’s the same oil re branded but I can get it a good trade price from VW.
Our last X5 was serviced and did well over 200k on the VW Quantum long life and Castrol Edge.

So basically for around £145 I can get 20L of Castrol Edge or £85 for the Fuchs in a VW box.
I am more than happy to pay the extra if the Castrol is worth it.

i would use a 5-40 with the correct BMW approvals. the thicker oil can stand up to heat and high pressure a little bit better

Back